Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up First time hearing The Chain

Very good song! The harmonies with Stevie are beautiful, can't tell if you can hear Christine in there or not I can never hear her unless it's a song with her mainly singing. Going to have a second listen in order to pay closer attention. Some of their songs i'm having a hard time getting into though!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wait... you are just now hearing The Chain for the first time???

Sorry, that's quite a shock! But yayyyy!! Epic song. Great contributions by everybody. The bass line. The lyrics. Everything.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now THIS is a new fan.... How refreshing to hear about this!!!

The chain is a great song, and is awesome live..... still think it should have been the opener on this tour!!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Lightbulb

I feel like I should have a newbie sign by my name yes first time hearing it. I have their Rumours CD, and Fleetwood Mac, then a few random songs, then TISL, Soundstage, and Crystal Visions along with random songs by Stevie Nicks. So yes quite a new fan. Like I said some of their songs i'm having a hard time getting into. I decided to check the Mac out cause i heard Edge of Seventeen a few times and decided to look into Stevie, then found she was in Fleetwood Mac and like I said figured hey let me check them out.

Last edited by ~GoldDustWoman~; 08-13-2009 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Added some stuff
Old 08-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
I feel like I should have a newbie sign by my name yes first time hearing it. I have their Rumours CD, and Fleetwood Mac, then a few random songs, then TISL, Soundstage, and Crystal Visions along with random songs by Stevie Nicks. So yes quite a new fan. Like I said some of their songs i'm having a hard time getting into. I decided to check the Mac out cause i heard Edge of Seventeen a few times and decided to look into Stevie, then found she was in Fleetwood Mac and like I said figured hey let me check them out.
I'm afraid you're going about it all wrong. One shouldn't enter Fleetwood Mac via Stevie Nicks. One should enter Stevie Nicks via Fleetwood Mac.

I feel that acerbity is in all the great critics: Hazlitt, Johnson, Shaw, Wilson, & Ernie Kovacs. Acerbity is personality, & personality is the very foundation of judicial criticism.

Both John Simon (my idol) & Danny Kirwan consider film a true gesamtkunstwerk, an all-encompassing art that incorporates all the other arts -- & even the sciences & pseudo social sciences & perhaps even Game Boy.

I consider both Fleetwood Mac & its admirers rather strange.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I consider both Fleetwood Mac & its admirers rather strange.
You always make me smile.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is going to sound really cheesy, but I always feel really jealous of people who haven't heard all the songs before. I remember this time last year I was really just getting out of my Kate Bush obsession and into my Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks one, and how ecstatic I'd feel when I found a new song I adored.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know what really bums me out completely? (to quote Stevie hahaha)

The fact that Stevie, Lindsey, Chris, John, and Mick didn't get to have a first time to hear "The Chain." Or any other song of theirs.

Sure, they created it... but they weren't able to go out and buy the vinyl and crank it up for the first time OR listen to it on the radio for the first time.
That bums me out that they didn't get to experience it like that.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Haha, so true Alexa.

You know what I was thinking the other day that is really stupid, yet very sad: We all love and adore Stevie so much and we feel as if she has added something great to our lives, but it's like...Stevie is Stevie and she doesn't have the opportunity to adore her greatness like we do, lol.

I have no idea if that makes any sense, but it's like, she is herself, sooo......she can't really see herself they way that we see her, therefore, I think she is missing out on something in her life, haha.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
You know what really bums me out completely? (to quote Stevie hahaha)

The fact that Stevie, Lindsey, Chris, John, and Mick didn't get to have a first time to hear "The Chain." Or any other song of theirs.
Unfortunately that's what comes with being an artist. I suppose though, they get to experience it a wee bit when they perform the songs over the years...and see how it affects other people. But I reckon they are disassociated from it to a certain degree. For example, a lot of movie stars don't "like" watching themselves. I wonder if the band members feel the same way when they watch the live DVD releases?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Unfortunately that's what comes with being an artist. I suppose though, they get to experience it a wee bit when they perform the songs over the years...and see how it affects other people. But I reckon they are disassociated from it to a certain degree. For example, a lot of movie stars don't "like" watching themselves. I wonder if the band members feel the same way when they watch the live DVD releases?
It reminds me of Christine going to the SYW concert and saying it was the first time she really got to see Fleetwood Mac and that it was a great experience to see what others saw like that.

Although, I'd like to tell her that as great as it was, she still didn't get to see as wonderful a show as we did when she was there.

Michele
Old 08-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysondt View Post
Haha, so true Alexa.

You know what I was thinking the other day that is really stupid, yet very sad: We all love and adore Stevie so much and we feel as if she has added something great to our lives, but it's like...Stevie is Stevie and she doesn't have the opportunity to adore her greatness like we do, lol.

I have no idea if that makes any sense, but it's like, she is herself, sooo......she can't really see herself they way that we see her, therefore, I think she is missing out on something in her life, haha.
We miss out too, though. Their music is so electrifying to us because of the electricity that bounced between the band members. We are witnesses of something really unique in that sense and I can only imagine what a live show is like for THEM.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I totally see what you guys are saying and have thought the very same thoughts too!!!

That being said, when I was in high school- I was in a really spectacular choral group called the Madrigal Singers (I know some of you all remember this), and it was one of those things where we made people cry every gig that we did. Being a part of that group was absolutely the best and most memorable experience of my life, and when you are an insider you do get to enjoy it, just in a different way.

This past school year was the first year I wasn't in the group, and I went back to see them at one of their holiday dinners- so I was able to watch it from an audience's perspective. And the whole time I'm up there, I'm thinking....

"Damn, I wish I was up there doing that whole thing right now."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrBnlRRRmvI

That's a rehearsal that someone filmed, didn't know that was going on.

But like I've said, I've been in a group that has affected people's lives and it's a hell of an experience. It's one of those things where you don't get the full feel or understanding of all that goes into it unless you're in it!!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
Now THIS is a new fan.... How refreshing to hear about this!!!

The chain is a great song, and is awesome live..... still think it should have been the opener on this tour!!
Why? So predictable!...as the first song, as the second song...or the song before Dreams (which just kills the energy). I applaud them opening with Monday Morning. WOW...something sort of different! Why should any song be set in stone in a set list? I rather go to a concert and be surprised by a refreshed set list --- as opposed to something like a church service.

It would be nice to hear The Chain somewhere else in set...like at the end of the set, as it was when they first starting performing it.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysondt View Post
Haha, so true Alexa.

Nothing sad about it! Much like the way you love, appreciate and are inspired by Stevie, she, in turn has her own artists that she loves with the same intensity. She's a fan just like we are fans. Surely, Stevie recognizes and respects her talent, success and the impact she makes. Yet, it's very strange to expect her to be a fan of herself...and even stranger to feel sad that she doesn't adore herself at the level some fans do. You are right to say that it might not make any sense...because it doesn't!