The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Registered

The Sisters of the Moon performance on the Mirage DVD is awful.

Illume is one of my all time favourite FM songs.

I love Gate and Garden, The Nightmare and Every Day.

I hate The Highwayman and Nightbird.

Last edited by TheSorcerer; 02-24-2013 at 06:28 AM..
Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. I love the majority of "The Other Side of the Mirror." I know its not "great" music, but it brings back amazing memories for me when I listen.
2. "Trouble in Shangri La" and "Say You Will (Stevie's material)" gets worse and worse to my ear with each passing year.
3. I think "Gate and Garden," "Sable on Blond," and "Wild Heart (album version)" are lousy songs.
4. "Soldiers Angel" has an amazing message, but might be the worst song shes ever done.
5. Theres a lot of material on "Buckingham Nicks" I can't get into.
6. I wish she would ditch the platform boots on stage. Even though she seems to be doing better with the lower heels now, I think she moves around on stage more when shes in her shoes.
7. I'll back up KarmaContestant - "Angel" is not a great song. I think the live versions with FM were horrendous. It goes nowhere. The only version I ever liked was from the HBO special and that was just because of the different, more rocking arrangement.
8. I've come to appreciate "Landslide" more now as I've gotten older and will even listen to it.
9. I think "Straight Back" and "That's Alright" are awful and non-comparable to "Gypsy."
10. The Wild Heart Tour was sort of lackluster due to its set list.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This topic is making me sad, so many people hate things I love!

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 02-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love "Street Angel" album No matter what people and Stevie herself say about this album I think it's one of her best and listen to it often than say "Bella Donna" or "The Wild Heart".
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's one.....because it seems this song is quite popular here.

Illume makes me want to drill my brain out with a power tool. It goes on and on and on.........................and on!!!!! GAHH!!

On the positive side....I think Destiny is one of her most beautiful tunes.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

im not going to critque specific songs but rather address each album as its own "piece" of artwork:

Bella Donna-a clear masterpiece..came out in 81..she was beginning to be loved as a stand out in FM...just came out of the 70's rock era...people loved the female rockers..pat benatar was on the scene...joan jett...etc..aside form that the music is outstanding...in a class all its own..classic stevie lyrics

The Wild Heart-MY FAVORITE..good rough sounding unrehearsed garage rock..her voice was awesome on every song...opens up w/a kick ass song and closes w/a beautiful orchestral piece...comes in like a lion..goes out like a lamb..again the writing on this is pure classic stevie..abstract and whimsical

Rock A Little-I likes it but its weird..."sister honey??" almost disco like..."some become strangers???" WTF??? she started singing other peoples stuff and it made no sense to me..this is sooooo unstevie like...started to think she was crasping at something to keep up w/the changing music industry..AND THE VIDEOS??!! OMG.."I cant wait" HORRIBLE..she sold out w/all the weird make up and hair..reminds me of what ann wilson said they did to Heart in the 80's

The Other Side Of The Miror- stevie even further slipping away..other than "Ghosts" and "Oo My Love"...the record is weird..opens w/"Rooms On Fire" and closes with "I Still Miss Someone" MAKES noooo sense..the album has zero flow..its like she just had to get an album out because it had been 4 years between records..dont get me wrong..i like it..it just seems like there were more and more hands in the cookie jar with each album and each album progressively lost her classic style

Street Angel- like she just went into a her "room of songs" and picked 13 songs...no rhyme or reason to any of this...couple good songs..but nothing satnds out...."watching her decline" at this point

Troule In Shangri La- listened to it once..shelfed it...waaaaaaaaaay over produced..cheryl crow..WHO I LOVE...should have stayed away from this..nothing on this album sounds like stevie nicks...lyrically or musically...it got a lot of promo so i think thats why it did as well as it did...

In Your Dreams- After listening to this...i do "like" it but i dont "love" it..its just there..made zero impact onme personally...it lacks flow and is just boring to listen to

In a nutshell...she was so much better when she was doing her own thing...and high as a kite...way more in touch w/her creativity...not to mention her unchanged 30+ year old set list..i have said this before..i think it time she hangs up her tamborine and starts writing the book we are all waiting for..none of this is meant disrespectfully..i love her to death and will never NOT buy anything she does...its just that themagic she once had is no longer
Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishStevieFan View Post
I love "Street Angel" album No matter what people and Stevie herself say about this album I think it's one of her best and listen to it often than say "Bella Donna" or "The Wild Heart".
I love that you love Street Angel. I always appreciate an underdog! While general consensus is that the album is just a dog, I've come to appreciate it for what it is. Someone once quoted that they would listen to Stevie if she just sang the phone book. Street Angel is much better than that!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I don't like "Stand Back" and wish that Fleetwood Mac would stop playing it. SB has no place in the FM set.

The old "dance sequence" with Brad Jeffries during "Stand Back" was ridiculous. It was, for me, a low point in her creativity as an artist. Can we say, "TRYING TOO HARD"?
I agree about Stand Back. It's too much of a "solo Stevie" song. It's completely incongruous with Fleetwood Mac's style. I hate that it has become a staple in their set lists.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSorcerer View Post
Blasphemy.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think she recorded anything relevant since Gypsy . Maybe two songs from The Wild Heart, but not with Gypsy-quality.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post

Illume makes me want to drill my brain out with a power tool. It goes on and on and on.........................and on!!!!! GAHH!!

Mick
Illume is a solid masterpiece. Destiny is a gorgeous thing utterly and inexcusably destroyed by Stevie's old arch-enemy, the devil who somehow coaxes her to destroy her songs - HIDEOUSLY INCOMPETENT PRODUCTION. Who decided hiding her vocals and poetry behind someone swatting at a giant snare drim and slapping irritably at a guitar would bring out the tragic beauty of this song.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

When you have the St. Louis performance to stand it against, Mirage Sisters sucks. I just like the speaking in tongues and the fact that she disappears for a blatant coke break in it.

Every Day was my favourite from TISL. I really love The Highwayman, but I can see how you couldn't like Nightbird. It's too messy. Like someone was leaning on the mixing board and they were just like, "oops. Well, sounds 80s, let's leave it in!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
1. I love the majority of "The Other Side of the Mirror." I know its not "great" music, but it brings back amazing memories for me when I listen.
2. "Trouble in Shangri La" and "Say You Will (Stevie's material)" gets worse and worse to my ear with each passing year.
3. I think "Gate and Garden," "Sable on Blond," and "Wild Heart (album version)" are lousy songs.
4. "Soldiers Angel" has an amazing message, but might be the worst song shes ever done.
5. Theres a lot of material on "Buckingham Nicks" I can't get into.
6. I wish she would ditch the platform boots on stage. Even though she seems to be doing better with the lower heels now, I think she moves around on stage more when shes in her shoes.
7. I'll back up KarmaContestant - "Angel" is not a great song. I think the live versions with FM were horrendous. It goes nowhere. The only version I ever liked was from the HBO special and that was just because of the different, more rocking arrangement.
8. I've come to appreciate "Landslide" more now as I've gotten older and will even listen to it.
9. I think "Straight Back" and "That's Alright" are awful and non-comparable to "Gypsy."
10. The Wild Heart Tour was sort of lackluster due to its set list.
OSOTM gets a lot of ****, but it really captures that era. It was more of a bridge between eras than Street Angel. To quote the lady herself, "there's a definite eerieness that runs through that." Maybe it's because I know it was recorded in a castle, but there's a certain mood in that album that isn't in the other ones -- and it can't be the klono because she was more klono'ed on SA.

Say You Will is ugh. The kid chorus at the end of the actual song = death knell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
- It's like there are two Stevies, the beautiful voice captured in time on BN, White, and Rumours and those early tours, which vanished by the time Tusk was recorded. Then a whole new Stevie emerged and it was like we were listening to a new artist. The new voice seemed then to strengthen and grow to a peak on the Wild Heart.
- By the mid 80's Stevie had pretty much destroyed her voice and unleashed a silly almost self parody album in Rock a Little and went on a lengthy tour just to make sure she ripped every last vocal chord.
- Her voice returned in the early 90's and sounded wonderful again by Street Angel. This made Street Angel her best sounding record since '83.
I think it was David that called it her linebacker voice on the Tusk tour. The Wild Heart and Enchanted eras were her vocal peaks. My personal favourites. I've never heard her let 'er rip on "wiiiiiiiild heart" like that before or since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
ok, here goes...
5. I don't like "Long Distance Winner" at all
Sunflowers and his face don't fascinate you? It's one of my favourite BN songs, but even I find her voice a little grating on it. She's a bleat away from being a sheep (not a goat!) on that line.

Quote:
10. Stevie is far more interested in making money than about her die hard fans who have followed her all these years. She doesn't care - she wants to cash in on EVERYTHING. If there is money to be made, she'll do it. Hence the constant tours, reissues of "Rumours", same setlist of "hits" over and over again, same stories over and over again. Mick is just the same.
Preach.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

None of mine seem to be super unpopular but:

I too find "When I See You Again" very moving, though I do think some of it is technically sub par.

I like some of her post TITN Mac songs like "Freedom", "Paper Doll" and "No Questions Asked". But I really don't know how unpopular that is?

I love the boho hippie influence in her various wardrobe choices but the Gothic Victorian part not as much. I don't hate it either though.

I think Stevie is as much in love with her freedom as she is afraid of being unloved. I don't think it's one or the other. She's just conflicted and thus hard to please. Or maybe I'm projecting I think a lot of her personal autobiography is revisionist history (like how somebody pointed out that she used to say she want kids until it was biologically u feasible at which pt her story changed)-BUT I don't feel disdainful or pitying about this. I think such enormous regret is hard to live with and she was always indecisive anyway. I guess I see it as her way of not letting herself be defined as a tragedy and there's something in that that compels me, even though I do think she is prone to martyring herself.

I also don't care for "Leather and Lace." I like "Crystal" okay enough but I really don't think it's that great. I utterly love "Fireflies".

I love Tusk era Stevie's voice (and clothes) the best.

Sorry if any of these are totally not unpopular at all, I guess I really don't know what is or isn't.

Last edited by redbird; 02-25-2013 at 03:18 AM..
Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post

Mick
I love this song from beginning to end. The music and lyrics are hypnotic, in a good way, at least to me anyway!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Why don't you like this version of "Sisters of the Moon"?