User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Well, in fairness, "some personal problems" were a decade+ cocaine addiction, a painful hole in her sinuses, and a stint in rehab. Which is quite a bit to be dealing with, while also trying to maintain one's professionalism and business commitments.
I don't disagree with any of that.

Quote:
By the way, estimations place the start of recording on 'Tango' in Late-Spring/Early-Summer of 1986. The album was released in April of 1987... so the band didn't work without Stevie for two years. Sounds more like it was just under a year.
Lindsey and Christine talk of recording for a solid 18 months in a few audio interviews I have. So how about we cut it down the middle?

Quote:
I'm not trying to paint Stevie as a martyr, but she could have just as easily cited "personal reasons" for not appearing on the album and/or not touring.
I agree again. And I wouldn't think her a horrible person for doing it. In fact, I almost think it might have been better for her health if she had.
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
She did ... what? What do you "give up" for your "music"? A day job? Scrubbing toilets? Screaming kids? Waiting for your two weeks of vacation per year? Taking your car in twice a year for a lube & oil? Vacuuming the carpet? Cleaning the soap scum out of the shower? Balancing your checkbook & watching the money run down every month?

Suggested poll for all ledgies: Would you be willing to give up all of this for your music -- & make millions in the bargain? Tough choice, I know . . .

I mean, c'mon on!
Well, if it meant giving up my privacy, and having my love-life, weight and personal decisions debated, dissected, and denigrated in magazine articles and on message boards, I think I'd stick with toiling away in anonymity.

Now, if I could be rich yet anonymous, I'd jump at the chance!

Even when the discussion is Lindsey v. Christine, Stevie's legion of apologists feels compelled to come here and defend Stevie.

A quite telling phenomenon.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:09 PM

Fleetwood Mac is not Stevie Nicks, folks. Let's give the other members the respect they deserve.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
But, I think we all know they waited because without Stevie's input, TITN would not have sold as well. Then, when she gets there and makes the commitment [snip]
Commitment to what, exactly? Ten days of laying down some funky-sounding studio vocals? I mean, lemme tell ya . . . GO, Stevie!
Quote:
She could have said see ya too and gone on to sell a million more solo records - yet she did not - she stuck it out.
She stuck what out, exactly? Ten days of laying down some funky-sounding studio vocals? A two-month tour? Man, that's tough!

Quote:
Yet, the LB supporters will NEVER EVER admit that Then, the tour sells out or at least very, very well without LB at the helm, which IMO is a HUGE insult to him if not irony esp. since the same cannot be said if Stevie had backed out instead of LB. So, the debate rages on . . .
Yes, that's what it always boils down to, doesn't it? LB "supporters" are smoldering with frustrated rage because Stevie Nicks is a bigger star than Lindsey Buckingham. You nailed it, strand!
Quote:
Again, there are days I cannot stand to go to work and am not the most social when I get there. But, I am a professional and do it with a smile anyway no matter what I might think of my co-workers, etc.
I guess it's unfortunate, then, that you can't claim personal crises & drug addiction & buttinski management & God knows what all -- which would excuse you in the eyes of millions of Stevie Nicks fans -- if you ever felt like taking a year or two off from the job.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
By the way, it's a pity that Christine's own forum has only been public for less than a week now, and we've already brought the Lindsey vs. Stevie debates here.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. It didn't start that way, but it seems to have inevitably gone that way. I'll opt out. It's gone on long enough.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Even when the discussion is Lindsey v. Christine, Stevie's legion of apologists feels compelled to come here and defend Stevie.

Only as telling as the fact that you defend Lindsey with equal vociferousness.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

She's vivacious. She's blonde. She's with-it. She's pretty. It's no wonder people identify her with their misty ideals of long-suffering Romantic anguish.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Only as telling as the fact that you defend Lindsey with equal vociferousness.
I think it's really healthy (or healthful?) to see the potential for turditude & general all-around brattiness in all of them.

Except for ol' Bob Brunning, perhaps, who seems quite the nicest guy in or out of the band.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

By the way, I want the record to show that I didn't so much as even mention Stevie until Jason and Les' debate.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 05-04-2004 at 10:27 PM..
Old 05-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. It didn't start that way, but it seems to have inevitably gone that way. I'll opt out. It's gone on long enough.
It's Christine's own fault. She's always disliked & avoided her legions of fans!

As ye sow, Ms. McVie, so shall ye reap . . . .

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I think it's really healthy (or healthful?) to see the potential for turditude & general all-around brattiness in all of them.

Except for ol' Bob Brunning, perhaps, who seems quite the nicest guy in or out of the band.
"Turditude." I love it!!!

As I've said dozens of times, and will say until I'm blue in the face... none of them are perfect, and they're all guilty of less-than-magnanimous behaviour from time to time.
Which is why it's so silly that we so often get locked into this pattern of arguing that our Power Ranger is cooler than the other kid's.

But, in addition to Bob Brunning, I think Rick Vito is right up there for most amiable member of Fleetwood Mac (although I suppose even he could be chided for "spoiled brat" behaviour for leaving over "creative differences," if one wants to be nit-picky).

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 05-04-2004 at 10:28 PM..
Old 05-04-2004, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I think people also tend to forget that when John told Lindsey to leave, Lindsey felt he was being expelled from the band. Up to that point he was trying to talk the rest of the band into accepting that he simply couldn't face the tour. If things hadn't gotten so ugly, he might have done it. It wasn't entirely his fault. But the Lindsey haters will never see it that way.
Well, if he did indeed think he was being fired, it was a misconception he no doubt didn't hold for too long. I'm posting an OOTC interview on my site now where Lindsey is asked by a caller, "Would you to go back to Fleetwood Mac if they begged?" His reply: "What makes you think they haven't?"

And I think they did. I think they begged hard-core, hands and knees, grovelling style. Or at least Mick did. So we can't go "aw, poor Lindsey, he thought he was fired." (Besides, I always took that line from John "I was asking him to leave the room, not the band!" as a joke.)

It does make me sad when I think of my poor sugar Lindsey crying alone in his car in the driveway, though! Bad times.

Last edited by sodascouts; 05-04-2004 at 11:03 PM..
Old 05-05-2004, 04:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB
You're right..you ARE going to get slammed for that one!..lol!...but really..definitely not the reason!..in fact there IS a gap left in Fleetwood Mac at the moment,and it's quite BIG. I'm so glad Christine's album is coming out soon,I miss her in the band.Also,I don't think the band suffered at all by Lindsey's leaving.Rick and Billy were great additions.

I'm going to bring back this discussion to CHRISTINE (gee, I wasn't on the net for two days, had to read six pages of comments)

Ok, I'm not saying that Chris's departure didn't leave 'a' gap, it's not a black/white thing. I'm not saying Christine McVie didn't contribute a major part to the band, because she certainly did. And she is missed for that. I'm very excited to know she's back in music again!

But here's a point of discussion: why did they need to replace Lindsey with two new official bandmembers, where they had no official new member replacing Christine?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You're just trying to start the Christine Forum's very first thread war, aren't ya?
Every board should have one