The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know last year he gave us his version of the acoustic album (which in reality wasn't that acoustic at all) but I just want something way simpler from him. I agree with this.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
I know last year he gave us his version of the acoustic album (which in reality wasn't that acoustic at all) but I just want something way simpler from him.
Oh, I'd totally go for that also. So your opinion is not completely unpopular. It's just that we were all speculating what that new album is going to be, and considering he mentioned 'the rock approach' quite a few times I doubt we'll actually get something even more acoustic and stripped down than UTS.

Seeing the Mac is dead anyway, he can do that after this one.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You know I'm going to express an unpopular opinion here but at this point I actually don't want the "big rock" album from Lindsey, I want something even more lo-fi. I want him to do a Paul Westerberg and release something like Folker - real loose and no frills, recorded in his bedroom/bathroom/whatever stuff.
I know last year he gave us his version of the acoustic album (which in reality wasn't that acoustic at all) but I just want something way simpler from him. I know you guys are probably thinking Tusk, and in a way I am too, but I'd like it to be way more spontaneous than that - which is something he loves to talk about (hilariously enough in rehearsed speeches) but boy can he not do.
I can't imagine we'd ever get the Neil Young approach from him - rehearse it once, record it while it's still fresh, with one take to capture the magic - but I can dream can't I?
The thought of him returning to something super-polished and produced depresses me. The fact that he mentions he listens to Thom Yorke and then goes and guests with the likes of Vanessa Carlton and the dreadful Little Big Town (there I said it, they really, really suck) makes me sad. I really think he's better than that.
Maybe I'm being a complete snob about it, I don't know, he could surprise me. The Mac is dead, Christine has retired, Stevie is a nostagia act: I'm just pinning my hopes on Lindsey shunning the popular vote for the artistic one.
I totally agree. The thing is, will he ever have the confidence to make it more barebone in "style"? He still looks at himself as a stylist. And that means that he always wants to play with the production. On the other hand, in one of the latest radio-interviews he said that he gained confidence as a writer. Let's hope he'll translate that into a less produced and more down-to-earth sound. I don't hold my breath for it although his current tour must have underlined that his vocal abilities have matured and gained character. Belt them out raw, Lindsey.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
Oh, I'd totally go for that also. So your opinion is not completely unpopular. It's just that we were all speculating what that new album is going to be, and considering he mentioned 'the rock approach' quite a few times I doubt we'll actually get something even more acoustic and stripped down than UTS.

Seeing the Mac is dead anyway, he can do that after this one.
The Mac is dead, long live the Mac!

No, you're probably right, it just seemed for a while like everyone was super excited about the prospect of this big guitar-wailing, rock album he's apparently going to release, where I wouldn't mind him going even further with the sound he cultivated on UTS.
Not that I'm totally against something rawk, but I'd just like that to be simpler and more stripped down too, you know, just a guitar, bass and drums, although in a way I'm asking Lindsey not to be Lindsey here - the man loves to produce! I guess we can only wait and see.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I totally agree. The thing is, will he ever have the confidence to make it more barebone in "style"? He still looks at himself as a stylist. And that means that he always wants to play with the production. On the other hand, in one of the latest radio-interviews he said that he gained confidence as a writer. Let's hope he'll translate that into a less produced and more down-to-earth sound. I don't hold my breath for it although his current tour must have underlined that his vocal abilities have matured and gained character. Belt them out raw, Lindsey.

We've said this before Gerald, but Lindsey needs to work with a producer who will battle him on these things, who will say "Leave it as it is, the songs sounds good without any frills!". Don't get me wrong, I do love Lindsey's production work, but the one thing we haven't got from Lindsey at this point is something bare bones in style - I would have thought that in itself would be a challenge he might enjoy undertaking (although he needs to leave the vocals alone!).
That said, didn't his record company want a more rock album over an acoustic one? So I can't imagine we'll get what I'm talking about.

Last edited by trackaghost; 06-16-2007 at 08:45 AM..
Old 06-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Still, even if it IS going to be a rock-album, he can choose for a stripped down straight fromtheguts rocksetting, a fourpieceband like he performs with right now. I mean, he can sound very down-to-earth fragile-but-ballsy with these guys. The bootlegged Turn It On, IKINW and SHN prove it. I'd love to hear a folkrockalbum in this "Live"-style. Including the raw vocals.

I bet Gaius will respond soon with a remark about pre-recorded or sampled tracks that he uses in the live-mix...

Last edited by shackin'up; 06-16-2007 at 09:00 AM..
Old 06-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't want a super-produced album either. Stripped down rock, as has been mentioned here already, is what I'd like most and also what I expect most from him at this stage. I'd guess there will be some lead guitar, but no massive wailing solos. I'd be shocked if we got something like Murrow or Come on the new one.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, since Mr. Buckingham has already said in interviews from last year that the next album was going to be an electric guitar record, whereas UTS was an acoustic guitar record, I believe him. I'm actually very much looking forward to that next album.

I'd love to hear quite a few of the "Gift Of Screws" sessions included in there, and all the work of his that he recorded with producer Rob Cavallo has turned out to be good material, so let's hope he brings Mr. Cavallo back.

"Twist Of Fate" (even though it might be titled differently) has classic rock radio all over it - most likely he's filled the ba-ba-ba-part at the end with real lyrics by now. Same goes for "Deep Dense", which is my pick for 1st single of the remaining GOS material. "Given Thing" is then 3rd in my line for inclusion on this disc.
As far as the Riffs are concerned, "Shuffle Riff" is a pretty dramatic and pretty effective tune, and I hope he has already finished it. "Steve's Riff a/k/a Wear You Down" is also pretty effective, but somehow, I think it would work better as a duet with Stevie in a Mac setting.
And "Gift Of Screws" would be OK to be included, too, but not at the expense of newer, more melodious material.

Those GOS demos that were the most fully produced at the time they were bootlegged, have now all been released, so I'm more curious at the time about the new songs that haven't been bootlegged so far!
Old 06-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

ready for a rocker. love the acoustic uts & still shocked he did it & it totally suits him but i want to hear some of the old aggressive lb. he doesn't have to be pissed off at the world to act like it i know you're happy linds, but fake it if you have to. rock socks
Old 06-18-2007, 05:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
I can't imagine we'd ever get the Neil Young approach from him - rehearse it once, record it while it's still fresh, with one take to capture the magic - but I can dream can't I?
It's about as likely as my wish of Lindsey making an album of pure Detroit techno 20 years after the fact.
Quote:
The thought of him returning to something super-polished and produced depresses me.
The thought of him making a simple acoustic album depresses me. He already does enough of the stripped down thing when in concert, and Lindsey has always made sure that his live sound differs enough from the studio versions. Some UTS live tracks were a bit too close to their studio counterparts though.

A polished album wouldn't worry me, because we all know that a polished Lindsey album always has emotions raging behind the surface. I find that more fascinating than just doing a stripped down confessional album (or an album of pure sugary polish).

As for working together with his touring band, he already tried that after the OOTC tour and obviously didn't like the results. It might work this time though, because they're all essentially extra studio/touring hands who probably won't prevent Mr. Ego from doing his thing. And Lindsey's not the same he was in 1993 either.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass View Post

The thought of him making a simple acoustic album depresses me.
Why? We've had numerous albums from Mr Buckingham showcasing his production skills but only one semi-acoustic one (and as I've said that wasn't really an acoustic album in my book, the vocals in particular featured plenty of studio trickery).

If you read back I also said I would quite like a rock album, just a more stripped down rock album. I just would like to hear something that isn't over-produced. I don't see what's depressing about that, in fact I'd say it would be rather refreshing him releasing a basic rock record at this point. I personally would find it fascinating to see if he could actually pull that off.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe it is time for a (Lindseysongsof)Tusk II. With the existing material I see that's possible.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Ledgie

Without being murdered, and in light of La Nicks recent comments about never doing another Mac album... Can we PLEASE get Twist of Fate turned into a duet for this album? One last hoorah for BuckinghamNicks in the studio.

Wouldn't actually mind if he shelved the whole thing and actually remastered BN, or even, given some guidelines (set by us), make BNII.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzagar View Post
Without being murdered, and in light of La Nicks recent comments about never doing another Mac album... Can we PLEASE get Twist of Fate turned into a duet for this album? One last hoorah for BuckinghamNicks in the studio.
I hope that never happens. I don't want Stevie on that songs. Why spoil a good thing? The song is killer as it is.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I hope that never happens. I don't want Stevie on that songs. Why spoil a good thing? The song is killer as it is.
Totally agree.