Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: New album?
Yes 138 93.24%
No 6 4.05%
Suck it and see 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Anybody who says "no" apparently things "Say You Will" should be Fleetwood Mac's swansong.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-19-2014, 04:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Anybody who says "no" apparently things "Say You Will" should be Fleetwood Mac's swansong.
What's scary is, what if it's worse than Say You Will?

I can't imagine any songs from In The Meantime making
SYW better.

As others have mentioned I like the idea of Jack White working
with them. He would make them stop wasting time in the studio
and actually put out a rock album in 2014.

If wishes were fishes...
Old 01-19-2014, 04:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
What's scary is, what if it's worse than Say You Will?
I don't think that's possible...
Old 01-19-2014, 05:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I don't think that's possible...
Well, sure That's possible. In the meantime is aweful. If that level of songs meets with the level of the EP than it will be impossible to top SYW.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why Jack White?

Lindsey looks up to him.
Stevie knows how good it is to work with younger alt. Artists (foo's).
He fits in leftfield rock, country/folk and Rythm & Blues. All ingredients fitting buckingham, nicks and McVie. AND the rythmsection.

He hates wasting time with things that not fuel the music in it's core.

He's brilliant.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Well, sure That's possible. In the meantime is aweful. If that level of songs meets with the level of the EP than it will be impossible to top SYW.
Well lets just hope there is a bit of the old magical chemistry between Lindsey and Chris. Its quite possible and highly likely, that new songs will be better than ITM and the EP. I like SYW and enjoy listening to most of it, so I don't think it would be terrible if a new album is of that standard.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Awful is relative. There are a couple or brilliant tracks, and some duff ones. That's much what I feel about SYW.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Awful is relative. There are a couple or brilliant tracks, and some duff ones. That's much what I feel about SYW.
My beef with SYW isn't the songwriting, the length, or the producing—it's the vocals (which can't be helped) and the engineering (which can). The single worst thing to happen to SYW was Mark Needham.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Well, I meant aweful as, no brilliance. There are some OK tracks, but they lack oomph. How psychotic SYW may be, it has regularly ' bite '. I Miss that on Chris' and Stevie's solowork. What do I miss on Lindsey's solowork? Mick and John, basicly, and the occasional vocal blend with others than himself.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Sometimes a demo really captures that new energy that only comes when you’ve created a new song from essentially nothing, and it’s hard to reproduce that feeling when you’re in the studio doing 34 takes of a lead vocal. I’ve experienced it myself. So, I get that.

I’d like to hear some examples of Stevie demos that are better than the final, official studio recordings.
Given everyone's habit of calling anything that isn't on the album a "demo," it's hard to draw any conclusions. But the vocal feeling you talk about in the piano demo of "Sisters of the Moon" from March 1978 wasn't reproduced on the studio track.

Quote:
’m no expert on Stevie’s voice, so I don’t feel qualified to comment on that one.
Expertise isn't required. Just listen to her concert delivery in some of those live videos on YouTube. Her singing these days is strident and harsh. Must be age.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Disagree: In the Meantime was very, very good. Maybe the arrangements weren't all that daring, but almost every one of those songs was written and sung in the style of classic Christine. I prefer it to the '84 record.

Agree: the EP was lackluster.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
My beef with SYW isn't the songwriting, the length, or the producing—it's the vocals (which can't be helped) and the engineering (which can). The single worst thing to happen to SYW was Mark Needham.
As much as I respect SYW as a new studio album with loads of well-written and performed new material, I too was not a big fan of the engineering. The overall feel was dry and synthetic. I don't think the vocals were particularly weak. What I do notice is that without Christine, there was nothing to soften the harshness of the others' voices, which have gotten harder and more nasal with age--which is typical.

Lindsey and Stevie used to harmonize beautifully together, but since both of their voices dropped a register, there's a real need for a soft, soothing alto in the mix.

When Stevie sings on In Your Dreams, she sounds great, in part because the arrangements and instrumentation are built around her vocal style, and because she has her backup girls to soften certain edges. I do think, too, that there was a certain amount of studio wizzardry used on IYD to help smooth out her voice. And that note she holds at the end of "Italian Summer" is most certainly looped.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I like ITM FAR more than SYW! It's far from perfekt, but it has my soothing songbird on there. There are a few songs I don't care for, but in general, I like it much more than SYW. Okay, I probably don't care for 3-4 songs on it, but I really only LIKE 3-4 songs on SYW.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
As much as I respect SYW as a new studio album with loads of well-written and performed new material, I too was not a big fan of the engineering. The overall feel was dry and synthetic. I don't think the vocals were particularly weak. What I do notice is that without Christine, there was nothing to soften the harshness of the others' voices, which have gotten harder and more nasal with age--which is typical.

Lindsey and Stevie used to harmonize beautifully together, but since both of their voices dropped a register, there's a real need for a soft, soothing alto in the mix.

When Stevie sings on In Your Dreams, she sounds great, in part because the arrangements and instrumentation are built around her vocal style, and because she has her backup girls to soften certain edges. I do think, too, that there was a certain amount of studio wizzardry used on IYD to help smooth out her voice. And that note she holds at the end of "Italian Summer" is most certainly looped.
Yes, I agree with this. That's why I find BTLH and SYHA to be the easiest on the ear on Say You Will; there isn't the grating which occurs on other songs because Christine is there, albeit in a diminished role. She bridges the gap between Lindsey and Stevie's voices.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The title of this thread is "Do we really want another Fleetwood Mac album?" And there's even a poll. After a week of staring at it I keep wondering, who wouldn't want another Fleetwood Mac album? I mean, really, does anyone out there think there shouldn't be one?
Five people do.

Michele