Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Don't Stop on American Idol

I figured I'd post it here in case some of you don't venture over to the Chitchat board & the 42 page Idol thread.

It was during a medley with the top 6 guys last night. I thought it was fine, but others think they butchered it. It's also featured in one of those Ford commercials they make them do every week (I think the commercial is probably up on www.americanidol.com - now that was pretty cheesy.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Ledgie

That was so incredibly bad, its under the Ford Commercials.

Its a hard song to sing in all truth, but wow, yes, they should have picked something else.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseonthehill
That was so incredibly bad, its under the Ford Commercials. Its a hard song to sing in all truth, but wow, yes, they should have picked something else.
Yes, I would imagine it is a difficult song. I have yet to hear any cover of DS that sounds decent. In my opinion, the Ford commercial sounded better than their performance on stage last night. My ears began to bleed before I even realized it was DS.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As far as Fleetwood Mac goes, I pretty much only lke the original versions.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The medley version was pretty bad. It was like drunken karaoke. It looks like they were having fun, which I guess is within the spirit of the song.

I was surprised to hear a FM song on AI. I haven't heard any before, and I assumed there was a liscencing issue. Perhaps in the future there will be more?

The commercial kind of made me want to vomit.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

SO who gets the royalty for the song being preformed? Is it CHristine exclusively?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Is it CHristine exclusively?
I would think so. She is the sole writer of the song. She probably made a few bucks last night.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I would think so. She is the sole writer of the song. She probably made a few bucks last night.
Yeah, I thought she wrote it by herself. Would she have had to give permission for the song to be peformed on Idol too then?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I thought she wrote it by herself. Would she have had to give permission for the song to be peformed on Idol too then?
I kind of doubt it, as long as she got paid. She did mention that they never asked permission to play "Don't Stop" during the Clinton Presidential campaign.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I kind of doubt it, as long as she got paid. She did mention that they never asked permission to play "Don't Stop" during the Clinton Presidential campaign.
Hmm. ok thank you. I figred youd know this stuff.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sentimental Lady was used in a commercial recently. I asked Bob if he had to give his permission to use it, or if they just had to pay him, and that was all.

He never answered my question........ (I'm telling myself he just didn't see it.......)
Old 05-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I believe the producers of 'American Idol' must secure permission to use songs before they're performed on the show. I know I've read in the past that this artist or that artist declined requests to use their songs.

So I'm pretty certain that Christine had to have given the greenlight for its use.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Sentimental Lady was used in a commercial recently. I asked Bob if he had to give his permission to use it, or if they just had to pay him, and that was all.

He never answered my question........ (I'm telling myself he just didn't see it.......)
Bob answered my question(what a great, down to earth , guy he is ). He says the publisher doesn't HAVE to get the writer's permission, although it's considered courteous to do so. It also depends on the percentage of publishing ownership.
http://www.bobwelch.com/_Forum/00000912.htm
Old 05-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Bob answered my question(what a great, down to earth , guy he is ). He says the publisher doesn't HAVE to get the writer's permission, although it's considered courteous to do so. It also depends on the percentage of publishing ownership.
http://www.bobwelch.com/_Forum/00000912.htm
Is Bob ever gonna come play any concerts in California any more?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Is Bob ever gonna come play any concerts in California any more?
I think he's concerned that there might not be a turnout worthy of touring. Which is a shame, but certainly understandable.
Bob plays out at the Bluebird(songwriter's bar), in Nashville, once a year. I believe that's it.
Speaking of Bob, he's going to start a downloading program on his site, where for $7.50/yr, you can download all kinds of songs, both old and new. The Future (Games) is here, and Bob's in charge of it!