Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Cough cough Aerosmith.
I was thinking more Heart. Their albums were popular in the early 90s.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Help me: Before the Mexican restaurant meeting, did Mick call Lindsey and ask "Would you and Stevie like to join Fleetwood Mac?"
more/less - Mick got Lindsey's number from Olsen, and called him asking him to join his band (like in the bolded text above).

whether or not Olsen warned Mick beforehand that Lindsey was loyal to his gf and probably won't do it without her is irrelevant. Mick called Lindsey, and Lindsey had a chance to say one way or another.

once Lindsey confirmed what Olsen said, Mick invited them for dinner with the rest of the band because he wanted to see whether they could also add another woman - and it depended on what Christine thought of her. Mick didn't invite them both upfront, he only invited Lindsey. when it was Lindsey + gf, he had to check with the rest of the band before inviting both. only after that dinner, after Christine said yes, they were both officially invited. before dinner it was only Lindsey.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-30-2021, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Has Christine ever backed this up?.
yep. many audio interviews. she talked how Stevie had a sense of humor she liked, so she thought it would work - or something like that.

this is a funny thread.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-30-2021, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was thinking more Heart. Their albums were popular in the early 90s.
I sure you're wrong. Just wait for it...
Old 01-30-2021, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I sure you're wrong. Just wait for it...
Because you already know. Their last big hit was in 1990.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-30-2021, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
more/less - Mick got Lindsey's number from Olsen, and called him asking him to join his band (like in the bolded text above. whether or not Olsen warned Mick beforehand that Lindsey was loyal to his gf and probably won't do it without her is irrelevant. Mick called Lindsey, and Lindsey had a chance to say one way or another.
Source?

Because, there’s been two sourced articles about that night with the two guys who were actually part of the conversation. Olsen spent most of NYE convincing them to join. Their accounts, 22 years and at least one lawsuit apart, perfectly aligned. I’ve never read an account where Mick got Lindsey’s number from Olsen and called him directly. That’s fan fiction.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-30-2021, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Stevie is responsible for their success because Lindsey got a job offer and she told him to take it? By that logic I’m responsible for Jeff Bezos’ success. I said, “Why don’t you try selling books, man?” And lo, I made him what he is today.

If Lindsey did not have a girlfriend who pouted every time he did a gig without her (oh why am I stuck in Aspen), maybe he would’ve been inclined to go out on the road more and would have garnered even more opportunities, without the albatross around his neck.

That Lindsey, If Stevie had not listened to those albums front to back and back to front, he’d be a bum looking for handouts on the corner today.
lmao i love you and your sense of humor!

heh true, re her making huge scenes every time Lindsey took a gig for longer than a week, she still talks about it when explaining Landslide. imagine if he took 8-week FM gig without her?! Olsen probably REALLY wanted to make sure he doesn't have to deal with Stevie if she stays behind so made clear upfront she has to go if Lindsey goes.

and yeah, obviously Lindsey was already very familiar with FM music if he was talking about not being on Peter Green's level as a guitarist, while she has never heard of them and had to go listen to their music from back to front.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The exact details are pretty muddy at this point (just about everything that ever happened to Fleetwood Mac is pretty muddy at this point).

]Lindsey said[/B] at USC that Mick called him after meeting him unexpectedly at Sound City.
but haven't you learned by now - we are not supposed to believe anything Lindsey says.

we here just need to believe proven serial story embellishers.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
heh true, re her making huge scenes every time Lindsey took a gig for longer than a week, she still talks about it when explaining Landslide. imagine if he took 8-week FM gig without her?! Olsen probably REALLY wanted to make sure he doesn't have to deal with Stevie if she stays behind so made clear upfront she has to go if Lindsey goes.
Which is kind of my point. There’s no realistic way Lindsey could have joined without her that didn’t end up with her in the band anyway.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-31-2021, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I don't know why you're insisting so vehemently on that while rejecting any other scenario as an Easter Bunny scenario. Between 1971 and 1975, Lindsey and Stevie weren't quite as tied at the hip as you imagine. He had done session work without Stevie and he had been on tour with an outfit without Stevie (she later said that he left her in Aspen at the time). For her part, in either 1972 or 1973, she went back up to the Bay Area without Lindsey, and in fact fell in love with someone else, seriously considering staying with this dude and to hell with Buckingham Nicks (and wrote the song "Destiny" about the little interlude). Stevie told Denny Somach in 1980 that she and Lindsey were breaking up already even before they decided to join Mac. So the perfectly plausible scenario is that Lindsey might have decided to take the band's offer to join, even temporarily, just to make some money. You can reject the scenario out of hand, but it's perfectly plausible.
yup, you'd have to imagine FM offer was better than Everly Brothers. and maybe if he joined alone, they would have had one final breakup at the time, which would be healthier for both of them long run, while most probably neither of them would be as successful as they ended up being.

Mick told the story many times which agreed with the stage / Lindsey's usual version, including apparently in this most recent interview. and he told a different version once.

Stevie told Lindsey's / stage version many times over decades, except recently since she forced Lindsey outta FM, when she started all of the sudden saying that Mick asked her and Lindsey.

so i guess everyone can pick and chose a version they like and be happy in their little bubble.

while i'm happy for Lindsey that he and Mick seemed to have rekindled their decades long friendship, i really am not crazy about Lindsey once again re-hooking with the name Fleetwood. he's been finally starting to build a separate cred away from anything Fleetwood, as Lindsey Buckingham - Caution / The Killers is a great step in that direction and he should continue in that vein in a little time he has left, if he wants to cement his own legacy apart form the already cemented FM legacy he has.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

while i'm happy for Lindsey that he and Mick seemed to have rekindled their decades long friendship, i really am not crazy about Lindsey once again re-hooking with the name Fleetwood. he's been finally starting to build a separate cred away from anything Fleetwood, as Lindsey Buckingham - Caution / The Killers is a great step in that direction and he should continue in that vein in a little time he has left, if he wants to cement his own legacy apart form the already cemented FM legacy he has.
How could he go back? WHY TF would he go back? It's inconceivable to me that he'd even consider it.

I mean, maybe recording with Mick and John would be one thing, but to go back and bow down to her highness? Maybe they could hold hands on stage again, and he could kiss her wrinkled old knuckles, pretending to be in love, for all the idiots who lap up that drivel. F*CK THAT SH*T!!!!
Old 01-31-2021, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yup, you'd have to imagine FM offer was better than Everly Brothers. and maybe if he joined alone, they would have had one final breakup at the time, which would be healthier for both of them long run, while most probably neither of them would be as successful as they ended up being.
It was a better offer even with Stevie and he still needed at least four people, including his predecessor, to tell him it was a great opportunity.

Quote:
Mick told the story many times which agreed with the stage / Lindsey's usual version, including apparently in this most recent interview. and he told a different version once.

Stevie told Lindsey's / stage version many times over decades, except recently since she forced Lindsey outta FM, when she started all of the sudden saying that Mick asked her and Lindsey.
Not all of the sudden. That’s how the story was prior to 1997, before they started presenting an overly romanticized version of their history. But what do I know? I was just a fan paying attention at the time.

Quote:
so i guess everyone can pick and chose a version they like and be happy in their little bubble.
Yes. You can pick the story that fits your agenda. I’m sticking with the completely consistent accounts by the two men who had the phone call.

Quote:

The dude is over 70!

What other possible legacy is there?!?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-31-2021, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by homermcvie View Post
how could he go back? Why tf would he go back?
Close. Eyes. Take. The. Money.

(It was funnier in all caps...)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-31-2021, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Close. Eyes. Take. The. Money.

(It was funnier in all caps...)
Looks like a p*ssy. No class. No backbone. Lets a talentless hag order him around, with his tail between his legs. Pathetic.

WHAT A WAY TO BE REMEMBERED!!!
Old 01-31-2021, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
How could he go back? WHY TF would he go back? It's inconceivable to me that he'd even consider it.
i was referring to someone in the thread talking about Mick and Lindsey touring together joining Buckingham Fleetwood names, not Lindsey ever returning to FM. my stance is that Lindsey's name as a guitar legend has resurfaced in all his glory last year thanks to The Killers, and it would be great to see him following that up with similar projects, including his own album - for which btw he should really start releasing singles!

it's a long circular thread so it's hard to keep it all straight.