Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I also think the music industry changed so much which really almost prevented new creativity and new music. You must REALLY love your craft to spend so much time in the studio to create new songs that will sell 50,000 copies if you are lucky. Christine and Lindsey were perfect examples of that. They did it because they love making music. Stevie did it too with In Your Dreams.
But look how the music industry has changed. In the 80s, a hit album was how the artist made money. Stevie probably made over a million dollars easy with The Wild Heart album sales. Her tour probably yielded a profit as just as much. Today, Stevie grossed over a million for one night on her 24k Gold tour. Concert ticket prices have went up so much more than inflation that it keeps old bands on the road that would have never dared to be on the road at their age before. In 1983, my Wild Heart ticket cost $12.75 which was almost as much as what the album cost.
They are old, their output is limited so they go for the cash every time.

There is no excuse, in my opinion, to be an artist and not create. I can't stand Stevie's voice anymore, but she made an album in what, a month? It's horrible, but she made it.
Fleetwood Mac should have evolved with the industry. They have way more resources than 99% of the artists out there. I'll never accept that as an excuse. They have the right to become a nostalgia touring act, but I don't think LB or CM wanted that.
Oh, and SYW sucks.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's exactly what people said about Tusk. I don't understand the hate SYW gets on this board. The kicker to me is the same people love Tusk. The albums are both with Lindsey in control and both can come off a little cold. I understand it more on SYW though. Both albums have similar complaints....too many songs, runs too long, quirky at times, cold, over produced, underproduced, not enough pop songs, songs should have been cut, etc. Yes, SYW needed Christine and she would have made the album one of their best. But I still appreciate SYW for Lindsey's brilliance. I see his talent more on this album than others.

I would love to lock you in a room and play Come, Not That Funny (live), Silver Girl, and Oh Daddy for 72 hours straight
Please don't compare SYW to Tusk. That's like comparing assh*les and oranges. Tusk has Over and Over, Never Forget, Honey Hi, the butthole song(Brown Eyes), and the greatest FM song of all time, Think About Me. And I love all of Lindsey's songs on Tusk. I can't say the same about Come, or Murrow, or....
Tusk is leaps and bounds better than SYW!

You pay too much attention to the songs I dislike...and I've never been locked in a room(well, except for that one night...), but I'm willing to try!
Old 02-25-2021, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
There is no excuse, in my opinion, to be an artist and not create. I can't stand Stevie's voice anymore, but she made an album in what, a month? It's horrible, but she made it.
Fleetwood Mac should have evolved with the industry. They have way more resources than 99% of the artists out there. I'll never accept that as an excuse. They have the right to become a nostalgia touring act, but I don't think LB or CM wanted that.
Oh, and SYW sucks.
I’m trying to understand what you (and others) are saying- that Stevie and/or more specifically FM should record more, yet you also say you can’t stand her voice anymore. So if you don’t like her voice anymore, why do you want her to keep recording? So she’ll sing new songs you don’t like live?

I am fine that FM has released the amount of material they have. I do wish that the band, with Billy and Rick, had made at least one more album together, perhaps with a different producer, but they didn’t. FM, Rumours, Tusk, Mirage, and Tango have plenty of worthy material that could be performed live. Throw in the hits, some deep cuts, and pre and post Buckingham songs, and the setlist could be phenomenal without new material. Could you imagine hearing Love Shines live?

The idea that the band would perform a lot of songs from Tusk live now, with or without Lindsey, is something only diehard FM fans would want. Save Me a Place, Over and Over, Brown Eyes, Storms, Never Forget, and Beautiful Child would be too slow, while Not That Funny and Walk a Thin Line would be too obnoxious, and the refreshment stands and bathrooms would be overflowing during those songs. And I say this as a fan of many of the songs I just mentioned.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Please don't compare SYW to Tusk. That's like comparing assh*les and oranges. Tusk has Over and Over, Never Forget, Honey Hi, the butthole song(Brown Eyes), and the greatest FM song of all time, Think About Me. And I love all of Lindsey's songs on Tusk. I can't say the same about Come, or Murrow, or....

You pay too much attention to the songs I dislike...and I've never been locked in a room(well, except for that one night...), but I'm willing to try!
I said the criticism is the same. Not comparing the albums. You described SYW as cold. Many describe Tusk that way.
There are some great songs on SYW and Lindsey would agree with me. So there!

I only know the songs you hate because they are the songs I love.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-25-2021 at 11:58 AM..
Old 02-25-2021, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I said the criticism is the same. Not comparing the albums. You described SYW as cold. Many describe Tusk that way.
There are some great songs on SYW and Lindsey would agree with me. So there!

I only know the songs you hate because they are the songs I love.
Yet Tusk is now revered as a masterpiece! SYW is 18 years old, and revered as WHAT?

I don't HATE Oh Daddy, or even NTF live(well, I hate the Mirage version ~screaming~ - but just the screaming). I've been on a playing keyboards kick the past couple of weeks(I'm primarily a guitar player, even though my abilities are about the same on both), and I've even been playing Warm Ways! So ~hate~ is an extreme way of saying "not my favorites".
I DO hate Come. Bunch of NOISE, that doesn't belong on a FM record.
And Silver Girl sucks, well, I gotta agree with jbrowns, it's $tevie's VOICE. It's horrible now. Calling it flat and lackluster is being kind. Sounds like an old cat being tortured in an alley somewhere.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I’m trying to understand what you (and others) are saying- that Stevie and/or more specifically FM should record more, yet you also say you can’t stand her voice anymore. So if you don’t like her voice anymore, why do you want her to keep recording? So she’ll sing new songs you don’t like live?
I'm saying it doesn't matter if I like it or not, at least she created something. A lot of people love her current voice. So when she toured 24 Karen Gold, at least she had new selections to choose from. Some of those people were dying to hear some of those old demos. Personally, I didn't enjoy the new versions.

The Dance had 4 new songs. Greatest Hits has 2 new songs. We got ALAYF! What a beautiful new song.
You mean to tell me they couldn't come up with 3 new songs for the 2014/2015 tour? In My World/Carnival Begin/If You Were My Love
Instead of Gypsy.. (shriek) Over My Head (zzzzzz) and Big Love (please god no more)

That's my point. I know you don't care for it too much, but I'd even take Sweet Girl. Love that song! Also, I loved the tours with Billy and Rick. They were very high energy and played a wonderful set list.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 02-25-2021 at 12:33 PM..
Old 02-25-2021, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm saying it doesn't matter if I like it or not, at least she created something. A lot of people love her current voice. So when she toured 24 Karen Gold, at least she had new selections to choose from. Some of those people were dying to hear some of those old demos. Personally, I didn't enjoy the new versions.

The Dance had 4 new songs. Greatest Hits has 2 new songs. We got ALAYF! What a beautiful new song.
You mean to tell me they couldn't come up with 3 new songs for the 2014/2015 tour? In My World/Carnival Begin/If You Were My Love
Instead of Gypsy.. (shriek) Over My Head (zzzzzz) and Big Love (please god no more)

That's my point. I know you don't care for it too much, but I'd even take Sweet Girl. Love that song! Also, I loved the tours with Billy and Rick. They were very high energy and played a wonderful set list.
Sweet Girl yes...….. but would you take a Silver Girl Or how about Electra Woman and Dyna Girl?
Old 02-25-2021, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's hard to know where to start with this... My biggest frustration with the Mac, out of so many?

I suppose I wish they had been more productive and less dysfunctional. But their dysfunction made them what they were (are?) and was the engine behind the music. I've read some 'discussion' on here recently about whether the Rumours 5 had a particular chemistry, with some saying that the chemistry evaporated early on. I really don't agree. It persists to this day! It's entirely negative now, but it's still there...

I wish they'd made more music together. But maybe if they had been able to, it would mean they'd got on better, so perhaps it would have been more anodyne.

I wish Lindsey hadn't left before the Tango tour, so he could have come to the UK with it.

I wish they'd brought The Dance tour over here...

I really wish they could at least have made one last album together. I adored Buckingham McVie, but we all knew what it was supposed to have been from the start.

Really, I wish they could have recognised what they had and how good and unique it was, and done more with it. But I'm wishing for a different band.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I agree with what you said about certain songs being retired from the setlist, although I would love to hear Big Love performed by the whole band. Imagine Dragons did a great cover of Big Love for MusiCares, I think. Good point about As Long As You Follow, but that song was recorded 30+years ago. I really don't think the band is capable of recording incredible music anymore, even if they wanted to put their differences aside.

In an ideal world, we would have more incredible FM albums, on par with FM or Rumours, but I suspect they’d turn out more like Say You Will than Tango.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I will compare Tusk to SYW. Both share many similarities. Most of the songs are extremely unique and very creative unlike the synth light pop hit focus of Tango. These songs run long and are written very well. Many intricate layers. I dare you one night to listen to SYW with headphones on. Its definitely their most creative album since Tusk and it should not be flamed for that.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I will compare Tusk to SYW. Both share many similarities. Most of the songs are extremely unique and very creative unlike the synth light pop hit focus of Tango. These songs run long and are written very well. Many intricate layers. I dare you one night to listen to SYW with headphones on. Its definitely their most creative album since Tusk and it should not be flamed for that.
We don't disagree on much, but....

I don't question Lindsey's production values on SYW. I question the song quality, and the singing ability, especially $tevie's. Her voice is awful these days(and those days, considering SYW was 18 years ago).

I watched LIB last night, and her voice is totally annoying now.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I watched LIB last night, and her voice is totally annoying now.
I got Homie to pop that disc in

She sounded good in LIB (except Don't Stop). Thanks to Joe Thomas!
Old 02-25-2021, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I got Homie to pop that disc in

She sounded good in LIB (except Don't Stop). Thanks to Joe Thomas!
You did!

Don't Stop was horrible.

Things I hated the most -
-Them holding hands and making googly eyes at each other. Made me want to vomit.
-When Lindsey puts down his guitar in Tusk, and "spars" with $tevie, ending in the big embrace. Needed a puke bucket again!
-That IDIOTIC dance $tevie did at the beginning of GDW. I thought $he'd suffered a stroke or something. A complete embarrassment. How no one told her how stupid it looks is beyond me. I guess when you can afford a yes army, no one is stepping up to save you face, out of fear of getting fired.

EDIT - and that stupid "lasso move" $he does during SYW(song).

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 02-25-2021 at 07:15 PM..
Old 02-25-2021, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You did!

Don't Stop was horrible.

Things I hated the most -
-Them holding hands and making googly eyes at each other. Made me want to vomit.
-When Lindsey puts down his guitar in Tusk, and "spars" with $tevie, ending in the big embrace. Needed a puke bucket again!
-That IDIOTIC dance $tevie did at the beginning of GDW. I thought $he'd suffered a stroke or something. A complete embarrassment. How no one told her how stupid it looks is beyond me. I guess when you can afford a yes army, no one is stepping up to save you face, out of fear of getting fired.
That GDW dance is really only made worse by the cement blocks she's walking on!
I don't know what Lindsey was doing with the sparring and the jumping. Maybe he was feeling an attraction
Old 02-25-2021, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
That GDW dance is really only made worse by the cement blocks she's walking on!
I don't know what Lindsey was doing with the sparring and the jumping. Maybe he was feeling an attraction
Well $he's three feet tall, so I guess $he has to prop herself up on something.

I've never seen him wearing glasses. He must need them!