User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Ever since 1997, they’ve been fuzzy with their history. They’ve embellished and romanticized some parts of their story while minimizing or flat out ignoring other parts. Mick’s 1990 comments mirror what Keith Olsen said, which leads me to believe that accounting.
Here I was thinking that Stevie joined FM on NYE 1974. But the Mexican restaurant dinner was in 1975!
Gees these seniors are not doing well upstairs!
Old 01-27-2021, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Here I was thinking that Stevie joined FM on NYE 1974. But the Mexican restaurant dinner was in 1975!
Yep. And, not to shatter anyone’s illusions about the band, but Mick’s first phone call after talking to Olsen was to Mickey Shapiro, not the McVies.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-27-2021, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Holy smokes, so there may never have been a phone call from Mick to Lindsey.

Maybe he's speaking this way about Lindsey because he spoke with him last year and might want to be creative with him outside of FM.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good lord, as others have noted, one could split hairs or count how many angels can stand on the head of a pin, or whatever, but the bottom line is the ONLY reason Buckingham Nicks were even considered for FM is because of Buckingham. Stevie was part of the package, an accessory that turned out to be essential.

The fact that Christine was given the chance to decide their fate over margaritas later on further demonstrates how much of an after thought Stevie originally was: Mick sought out Lindsey and only learned Stevie was there. In his recollections, he never once mentions either of the pair’s voices when he heard “Frozen Love.” He was listening to the guitar. End of.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The fact that Christine was given the chance to decide their fate over margaritas later on further demonstrates how much of an after thought Stevie originally was
Has Christine ever backed this up?
I think I remember Stevie or Mick saying that FM wanted to see how Christine and Stevie "would get along" at the Mexican restaurant dinner.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Good lord, as others have noted, one could split hairs or count how many angels can stand on the head of a pin, or whatever, but the bottom line is the ONLY reason Buckingham Nicks were even considered for FM is because of Buckingham. Stevie was part of the package, an accessory that turned out to be essential.

The fact that Christine was given the chance to decide their fate over margaritas later on further demonstrates how much of an after thought Stevie originally was: Mick sought out Lindsey and only learned Stevie was there. In his recollections, he never once mentions either of the pair’s voices when he heard “Frozen Love.” He was listening to the guitar. End of.
Exactly. Even the people who were there don't remember exact details, 46 years later. Claiming to know EXACTLY what happened is like claiming who did the last line of blow on any of those evenings.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Has Christine ever backed this up?
I think I remember Stevie or Mick saying that FM wanted to see how Christine and Stevie "would get along" at the Mexican restaurant dinner.
In Dick's book(even though he's a card carrying LIAR), he does say that they got together to see if Chris and $tevie would get along, because nothing could be worse than if they didn't.

See, $tevie was humble and real, and not an complete egomaniac back then, so Chris liked her just fine. Hell, I LOVED her back then. Talk about someone doing a 180! I guess I mean me, as a result of her(180). $tevie and Homie - polar opposites!
Old 01-28-2021, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
but the bottom line is the ONLY reason Buckingham Nicks were even considered for FM is because of Buckingham. Stevie was part of the package, an accessory that turned out to be essential.
I don’t believe anyone argued otherwise. That’s the one constant.

Where I have an issue is this notion that Lindsey, out of loyalty to Stevie, bravely and nobly stuck his neck out to insist that she also be included when, by what Mick said in 1990 and Keith Olsen said in 2012, there’s no evidence that he was ever offered the gig without her.

Furthermore, Lindsey was apprehensive about giving up Buckingham Nicks to go play Peter Green songs. His instinct was to turn them down. Stevie, Olsen, and even Waddy have all said that they had to convince him, sometimes in hours long conversations, that joining Fleetwood Mac was in their best interest.

Quote:
The fact that Christine was given the chance to decide their fate
See, that’s why I think the first call after Olsen was to Mickey Shapiro.

Quote:
In his recollections, he never once mentions either of the pair’s voices when he heard “Frozen Love.” He was listening to the guitar. End of.
Which makes me wonder if Mick even knew if Lindsey was a singer-songwriter when he called Olsen. The first thing the band needed was a guitarist, but they also needed songwriting, since Bob Welch had about 2/3 of the songs on MTM and HAHTF. This is another reason why I think too much has been made of them “only wanting Lindsey.”

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-28-2021, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Let’s just hypothetically say Lindsey alone was asked to join the band and he agreed joined, without Stevie.

The first thing stands out to me is that Buckingham Nicks made an album. Once the Brits eventually heard it, of course they would have heard the immediate potential of having those harmonies in their music. It’s not as if Fleetwood Mac’s songs didn’t have a lot of harmonies already, especially Christine’s songs. Wouldn’t adding even more complex harmonies to the songs make them even better? Also, wasn’t the remake of “Crystal” John’s idea?

If that didn’t happen, Keith Olsen was the one who encouraged them to leave Fritz and become a duo. It’s like he saw them as a singular entity that couldn’t be separated. At some point in the recording, I have no doubt that he’d suggest to Lindsey that Stevie’s harmony would add a lot of dimension to the chorus here or there.

If neither of those happened, do you really think Stevie wouldn’t have been hanging out in the studio all up everyone’s ass trying to weasel her way in the band? Like, when Christine and Lindsey would be working on harmonies that she wouldn’t have just started singing along? Or that she wouldn’t have been flirty with Mick? Or that she and Christine wouldn’t have gone out for girl talk over tea?

So, this notion that Lindsey could have just joined without Stevie is pretty unrealistic.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-28-2021, 03:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There's a reason I've never married...
Old 01-28-2021, 06:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You actually put faith in ANYTHING $he says? $he's delusional.
I believe her because its the same thing you said $200 a piece although she put the figure together and said "we were paid $400 a week"
Which makes it even more credible coming from you. I have long suspected you are the real Stevie posing as an anti-Stevie pseudonym.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The margarita night was later, not NYE, 1974.

On NYE, 1974, Fleetwood Mac had some type of get together/band meeting where Bob snapped at Christine, she told him to eff himself, and he announced he was leaving the band. .
Tell me more about this. I haven't heard this story.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
History is being re-written or needs to be corrected.

For decades Christine and other members of the band have stated the Mexican dinner was when Stevie and Lindsey were asked to join the band. It was up to Christine for her to feel our her chemistry with Stevie.

Remember Rock Trivia (the 80s board game) It was an actual question. When did Lindsey and Stevie join Fleetwood Mac? Dec 31, 1974

Also Rock stations frequently mention on New Years Eve after playing Fleetwood Mac state it is the anniversary of Stevie and Lindsey joining.

So everyone has been wrong about this?
Old 01-28-2021, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
He’s conflating two events mentioned in Mick’s book. Christine and Bob had a minor tiff backstage towards the end of the Heroes’ tour. He quit. (Shapiro says Bob had been planning to quit anyway.) There was a period of time when they thought they could convince him to stay. When they couldn’t, Mick realized he’d need to find another guitarist. Hence the New Year’s Eve call to Keith Olsen.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In the documentary Fleetwood Mac....Don’t stop

I’m sure New Year’s Eve 1974 is mentioned as the night they went for a Mexican meal.