The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Rumours: Which songs do you like the most?
Christine's songs 10 35.71%
Lindsey's songs 9 32.14%
Stevie's songs 9 32.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
While I believe SYLM is, in its own way, as iconic as Rhiannon, I also believe Oh Daddy, in its way, is as archetypal as Gold Dust Woman.
I've always felt this way. it's like a 1-2 punch to end the album. And the fact that some albums have one song fade into the next. I can hear OD bleeding into the cowbell of GDW.

Brilliant.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You Make Loving Fun is the best song on Rumours. Dreams and Gold Dust Woman are the next best.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think what makes Rumours great is the fact that all three of them were in peak songwriting/performing form and there is really no bad song on the album (though, sorry folks, Oh Daddy is by far my least favorite). And, they were also all collaborating strongly -- so you see how Lindsey's contributions made The Chain and YMLF and Dreams much better songs, while the harmonies from SN and CB made SHN and GYOW much better songs (something that was lost for much of the post-Rumours period).

I can't pick. I can barely pick my favorite songs, but I think they would be The Chain and YMLF if forced to choose.
Old 08-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I've always felt this way. it's like a 1-2 punch to end the album. And the fact that some albums have one song fade into the next. I can hear OD bleeding into the cowbell of GDW.

Brilliant.
Absolutely. These last two songs are so dark and expressive and, as you note, eerily connected to one another.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is hard…I voted for Lindsey, but it could have been any of them.
I tried to think back to 1977 and I think my favourite song then was ..Dreams.

Now my favourite is The Chain..(I think)
The whole album is just so good and in 1977 was …..WOW…

Last edited by sue; 08-18-2023 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-18-2023, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Almost impossible, since all three were mind blowing, but “Songbird” was the tiebreaker for me.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-20-2023, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Geez this one is hard, so close to a 3-way tie, not a bad song to be found on Rumours. I went with Christine in the end for You Make Loving Fun (her very best pop song) and her work on the Chain, most of the bones of that song came from her haunting Keep Me There. The two ballads are among the best of her career (although my personal fav Over and Over would come along later). What's not to like about Don't Stop. Lindsey gives us his magnum opus Go Your Own Way and the ever so slightly inferior Second Hand News and the beautiful Never Going Back Again. His high points go to the production and vocal work on the Chain, who knew he was singing Stevie's words in if you don't love me now- gives me chills just thinking about it. Then, long last, there's the Welsh Witch- Dreams, quite deservedly, tops the Billboard Charts. A vocal style that she would never repeat shows how much her voice developed in 1976. Gold Dust Woman, their best ever album closer, performed to perfection. The Everly like I Don't Want to Know- giving us the one underrated gem on Rumours. I won't talk about my favourite Silver Springs as it wasn't on the album- there I said it....