The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: SYW: which songs do you like the most?
Lindsey's songs 15 62.50%
Stevie's songs 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2023, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Say You Will: Your favorite songs, grouped by singer

Say You Will threads were located in this forum, so here we go. If you had to choose one group of songs that you like the most, which will you choose? Lindsey’s songs? Stevie’s songs?

Last edited by Villavic; 08-14-2023 at 09:19 PM..
Old 08-14-2023, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Papers she never signed... one of her best lyrics!
Old 08-15-2023, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They both turned in some very strong songs. On any ordinary Mac record, four or five of the best from each would have made a stellar set. But given its length, SYW is a bit uneven in parts—and both writers are culprits.

If I had to choose, I think Lindsey’s songs are overall a tad stronger: Say Goodbye and Red Rover are my favorites from him, but Miranda, Steal, Bleed, and Murrow are good, too.

Come, Peacekeeper, and WTWCT are fails for me…

Stevie’s choice songs are: Illume, Say You Will, Everybody Finds Out, and Destiny Rules are all really good. Her others…meh…
Old 08-15-2023, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There are so many clunkers on this album, I really don't want to vote.
I HATE-
Come
Murrow
Illume
Silver Girl
And Peacekeeper sounds so dated. Oh yeah, I hate that f*cking bird on it.

I do like-
WTWCT
Miranda
Bleed
Steal
Everybody
Destiny

Hell, it's been so long since I listened to this half pile of dung, I'm having a hard time even remembering some of the other songs. I've watched the doc, but not listened to the disc for probably 10 years...

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 08-15-2023 at 02:08 AM..
Old 08-15-2023, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The "back catalog" Stevie songs are fantastic, the newly-written ones the opposite.

Lindsey's are hit and miss but for no reason I can discern. "Steal Your Heart Away" is my favorite, "Come" my least favorite. He has good bad and in between on there.

"Wait For You" with Stevie on backing vocal belongs on the album.

Last edited by cbBen; 08-15-2023 at 01:42 AM..
Old 08-15-2023, 02:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I love this album..and I’m so glad that we have it.
I play it a lot and and still find new things about it every time I listen to it.
So my choices today may not be my choices next week..

Stevie:….Running through the garden.
Thrown down.
Lindsey:.. What’s the world coming to.
Steal your heart away.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's best solo album. Lindsey's production makes her nine tracks here really incredible.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Stevie's best solo album. Lindsey's production makes her nine tracks here really incredible.
Not Make Believe is probably my favorite.
I think SYW’s Running Through the Garden BLOWS the RAL demo away
Old 08-15-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Not Make Believe is probably my favorite.
I think SYW’s Running Through the Garden BLOWS the RAL demo away
I really like Not Make Believe, too!
Old 08-15-2023, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The vote goes to Lindsey for me. When I first heard “Red Rover” in 2001, I was amazed at how strange and beautiful it was. Quite frankly, I didn’t know he had it in him by that point. I also loved the Zevonesque “What’s the World Coming To?” and the Kingston Trio tribute “Steal Your Heart Away.” Great songcraft on both of those. “Say Goodbye” is probably a career high point for him, too — one of the best love-and-loss ballads in years with words that tear at your heartstrings. (You’re reminded of Stevie’s words in “Gypsy” — “Faces freedom with a little fear, I have no fear, I have only love” — when you think about the guy in this song, moving on.)

Stevie has great ones — “Destiny Rules,” “Goodbye Baby,” “Illume” — but the edge goes to LB.

I only wish the album had been engineered by Dashut and Caillat. It’s a painfully top-heavy, overcompressed experience to listen to it. I can barely tolerate it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 08-15-2023 at 12:42 PM..
Old 08-15-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

I only wish the album had been engineered by Dashut and Caillat. It’s a painfully top-heavy, overcompressed experience to listen to it. I can barely tolerate it.
I think this is my main problem with the album, too. I do not like WTWCT. However, without the compression, that song might glisten to my ears. It really does sound compressed in so many great moments of the album.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Lindsey's great songs

Murrow Turning Over in His Grave
Red Rover
Come
Steal Your Heart Way
Bleed to Love Her

His other four songs are fine but less imaginative. Several of these songs had years to gestate and this extensive work mostly pays off. They sounded great on the Gift of Screws outtakes and some of them even improved slightly from their transition to Say You Will (and yes, there are some minor differences in the mixing and instrumentation).

Stevie brings in her best batch of songs since the Tusk album, but even then she brings in some duds such as "Illume" and "Silver Girl". Other songs such as "Say You Will", "Thrown Down", and "Destiny Rules" suffer from Nicks' pitchy voice. Someone suggested a while back that the band could have brought her songs up a few semitones, and I completely agree with that sentiment. Back in 2003, she was still capable of singing in a higher register, but certain songs on the album did not allow for that. Her older songs unsurprisingly comprise her best work. "Smile At You", while different from the demos found on Tusk and Mirage, still works well with its new arrangement. "Running Through the Garden" and "Everybody Finds Out" are my other favorites of hers, and "Goodbye Baby" is a fine enough song to close out the album.

Last edited by WalkAThinLine.; 08-15-2023 at 08:49 PM..
Old 08-15-2023, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The vote goes to Lindsey for me. When I first heard “Red Rover” in 2001, I was amazed at how strange and beautiful it was. Quite frankly, I didn’t know he had it in him by that point. I also loved the Zevonesque “What’s the World Coming To?” and the Kingston Trio tribute “Steal Your Heart Away.” Great songcraft on both of those. “Say Goodbye” is probably a career high point for him, too — one of the best love-and-loss ballads in years with words that tear at your heartstrings. (You’re reminded of Stevie’s words in “Gypsy” — “Faces freedom with a little fear, I have no fear, I have only love” — when you think about the guy in this song, moving on.)

Stevie has great ones — “Destiny Rules,” “Goodbye Baby,” “Illume” — but the edge goes to LB.

Someone corrected my singing of Gypsy to say it’s “Her face says freedom” How does that make sense?
Old 08-15-2023, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Someone corrected my singing of Gypsy to say it’s “Her face says freedom” How does that make sense?
no. it's 'faces freedom'
Old 08-15-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
no. it's 'faces freedom'
not if you were a child and enough.