The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: TITN: which songs do you like the most?
Christine's songs 21 75.00%
Lindsey's songs 5 17.86%
Stevie's songs 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2023, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tango: Your favorite songs, grouped by singer

You know the rules. If you had to choose one group of songs that you like the most from the Tango in the Night album, which will you choose? Lindsey’s songs? Stevie’s songs? Christine's songs?

I intuit the results will be far different from the Tusk poll.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yay, I’m the first to vote!

If Stevie gets any votes here, I would be surprised. Christine all the way for me! I mean, it may be a 3 person race, but it’s not even close- Christine at a 10, Lindsey at a 5, and Stevie at a 1, and that’s only because she sang Seven Wonders so well, despite it not being written by her. I’d have given her a 0 of it weren’t for that.

Little Lies
Isn’t It Midnight
Mystified
Everywhere

I mean, not one bad song by Christine. Her growth as a songwriter is stunning. I have no idea how much of an impact Eddie Quintella had on her songwriting, and I remember reading somewhere where she may have hinted she listed him on her songs because they were in a relationship, but her material on Buck Vie was strong, and he had nothing to do with those songs, so I’m giving the credit to Christine.

Big Love
Caroline
Tango in the Night
I hate Family Man.

Seven Wonders

I hate When I See You Again and can only barely tolerate Welcome to the Room Sara. The only redeeming thing about that song is the cleverness in how it’s actually about her stay at Betty Ford.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Stevie at a 1, and that’s only because she sang Seven Wonders so well, despite it not being written by her. I’d have given her a 0 of it weren’t for that.
Excuse me, Emmaline?

And I'm voting for Stevie. Welcome To the Room...Sara is my favorite song on the album.

Edit: If you can tolerate the funeral song that is The Second Time... you can tolerate When I See You Again - that is the better of a Stevie ballad!
Old 08-12-2023, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Little Lies
Isn’t It Midnight
Mystified
Everywhere

I mean, not one bad song by Christine. Her growth as a songwriter is stunning. I have no idea how much of an impact Eddie Quintella had on her songwriting, and I remember reading somewhere where she may have hinted she listed him on her songs because they were in a relationship, but her material on Buck Vie was strong, and he had nothing to do with those songs, so I’m giving the credit to Christine.
as well you should. I remember George Hawkins said that Eddy was great w the 'extras', cool touches, but not good at coming up with the main package. And then later once her marriage ended, Chris said herself that she'd written the songs.

and i voted, too...chris all the way for me on that album!!

--Lis
Old 08-12-2023, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

There is no competition in this category. Chris runs away with it. She always brought great songs but she even surpassed herself on Tango. While the title track is brilliant and some of Lindsey's best work, the music on Family Man is really the only other thing that makes him stand out. Stevie had duds. Seven Wonders is her best contribution and that is not saying much. What would have been her 3rd song if that was not given to her?
Chris shines on everything. As she would say "No padding" what. so. ever.
Old 08-12-2023, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
as well you should. I remember George Hawkins said that Eddy was great w the 'extras', cool touches, but not good at coming up with the main package. And then later once her marriage ended, Chris said herself that she'd written the songs.

and i voted, too...chris all the way for me on that album!!

--Lis
And, well, Christine was writing really strong songs long before Eddie.
Old 08-12-2023, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While Christine definitely excels, I still have to say Stevie for me. After several years of not paying much attention to FM or Stevie after disappointment with Bella Donna, in summer 1987 I drove 14 hours to visit family and Seven Wonders was all over the radio. Hooked immediately. Bought the cassette of the album while home and drove all the way back flipping from Seven Wonders to When I See You Again.

Both songs grabbed me. Sorry if whassamadda baby grates on many, for me that and the rest of the song are so unabashedly weird incoherent maudlin weepy Stevie, I love it.
Old 08-12-2023, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
While Christine definitely excels, I still have to say Stevie for me. After several years of not paying much attention to FM or Stevie after disappointment with Bella Donna, in summer 1987 I drove 14 hours to visit family and Seven Wonders was all over the radio. Hooked immediately. Bought the cassette of the album while home and drove all the way back flipping from Seven Wonders to When I See You Again.

Both songs grabbed me. Sorry if whassamadda baby grates on many, for me that and the rest of the song are so unabashedly weird incoherent maudlin weepy Stevie, I love it.
I'm SHOCKED you didn't vote for Lindsey!

Old 08-12-2023, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yay, I’m the first to vote!

If Stevie gets any votes here, I would be surprised. Christine all the way for me! I mean, it may be a 3 person race, but it’s not even close- Christine at a 10, Lindsey at a 5, and Stevie at a 1, and that’s only because she sang Seven Wonders so well, despite it not being written by her. I’d have given her a 0 of it weren’t for that.

Little Lies
Isn’t It Midnight
Mystified
Everywhere

Big Love
Caroline
Tango in the Night
I hate Family Man.

Seven Wonders

I hate When I See You Again and can only barely tolerate Welcome to the Room Sara. The only redeeming thing about that song is the cleverness in how it’s actually about her stay at Betty Ford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Excuse me, Emmaline?

And I'm voting for Stevie. Welcome To the Room...Sara is my favorite song on the album.

Edit: If you can tolerate the funeral song that is The Second Time... you can tolerate When I See You Again - that is the better of a Stevie ballad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
There is no competition in this category. Chris runs away with it. She always brought great songs but she even surpassed herself on Tango. While the title track is brilliant and some of Lindsey's best work, the music on Family Man is really the only other thing that makes him stand out. Stevie had duds. Seven Wonders is her best contribution and that is not saying much. What would have been her 3rd song if that was not given to her?
Chris shines on everything. As she would say "No padding" what. so. ever.
errrr...gotta slightly disagree re: Chris.... Mystified leaves me stupefied in a coma. Otherwise her other material is excellent.

Wasaamatta Baby is a mess, but agree less a mess than Second Time.... but will also say that it's Lindsey for the save on that song... his playing, keeping it spare, and then his vocal at the end that adds a layer that takes the whole thing up a notch. Her songs vying with each other for which is not as bad as the other is real comment on the quality of her material during this time. Sandy Stewart saved her bacon on this one (and at the cost of losing 25% of her royalties to Emmaline)

I like all of Lindsey's material, agree Family Man is the weakest link of his bunch of songs but man is it saved by that acoustic guitar. That sort of Spanish-y (as Stevie would say) playing had not been front and center on anything since Django, and I wish he'd use it more.

Now we know precisely why Stevie refused to participate in the BuckVie album ,especially after the SYW album where she had to hunker down and try to crank out some new music.. Funny how what she brought to that album was precisely 3 new songs...and no more.
Old 08-12-2023, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
errrr...gotta slightly disagree re: Chris.... Mystified leaves me stupefied in a coma. Otherwise her other material is excellent.

Wasaamatta Baby is a mess, but agree less a mess than Second Time.... but will also say that it's Lindsey for the save on that song... his playing, keeping it spare, and then his vocal at the end that adds a layer

I like all of Lindsey's material, agree Family Man is the weakest link of his bunch of songs but man is it saved by that acoustic guitar. That sort of Spanish-y (as Stevie would say) playing had not been front and center on anything since Django, and I wish he'd use it more.
Mystified is my least favorite Christine song on Tango, but I never need to skip it. To me, it’s like a better version of Only Over You LOL.

I simply hate When I See You Again, but I do agree Lindsey’s vocal is beautiful on it. The problem is, I can’t stand the song long enough to get to his brief part. Yet for some reason, I don’t mind the Second Time. Please don’t ask me to be consistent
Old 08-12-2023, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Mystified is fine but its probably the weakest Chris song on Tango. But that does not hurt the song because they are all so good. Is it just me or does anyone hear Chris effecting her voice like a baby when she sings "this feeling is deep inside"
Its a very rare thing for Chris to do this to her voice. That alone makes it interesting. I like the whimsical nature of the song but its just too programmed for my tastes.
Old 08-12-2023, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm SHOCKED you didn't vote for Lindsey!
I was surprised Stevie got two votes so far, too. But that's the point of these polls. I'm not asking which do you think is the best group of songs, but just the songs you like the most. I mean, for example, I know Citizen Kane is one of the best movies ever, if not the best of all times according to some critics. But to me, it's a very good movie and not in my personal top ten. I've seen Empire Strikes Back hundreds of times, and Citizen Kane just once and I don't want to watch it again. Not sayin Empire is better, but it's my fave. CK is not. That's the intriguing thing in this world.

And about Mystified, that's another example. I love that song and like it far more than Only Over You (actually I skip OOY). But I know many ledgies would disagree with this.

Last edited by Villavic; 08-14-2023 at 09:03 AM..
Old 08-12-2023, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I was surprised Stevie got two votes so far, too. But that's the point of these polls. I'm not asking which do you think is the best group of songs, but just the songs you like the most. I mean, for example, I know Citizen Kane is one of the best movies ever, if not the best of all times according to some critics. But to me, it's a very good movie and not in my personal top ten. I've seen Empire Strikes Back hundreds of times, and Citizen Kane just once and I don't want to watch it again. Not sayin Empire is better, but it's my fave. CK is not. That's the intriguing thing in this world.

And about Mystified, that's another example. I love that song and like it far more than Wish you were here (actually I skip WYWH). But I know many ledgies would disagree with this.
Mitzo HATES Lindsey, and would never vote for him.

And some people can't get past their hero worship, and examine things on a truly objective scale.

Mystified, and Only Over Ewe were songs that took me years to appreciate. I love them now, but it wasn't easy getting here.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Mitzo HATES Lindsey, and would never vote for him.

And some people can't get past their hero worship, and examine things on a truly objective scale.

Mystified, and Only Over Ewe were songs that took me years to appreciate. I love them now, but it wasn't easy getting here.
As I said, it was Stevie who grabbed my attention on Tango.

On Tango Lindsey gave us Big Love. It is OK. His production across the whole album is amazing, genius, and likely a big part of why I was attracted to Stevie's songs.

All of Christine's are great on Tango, and Mystified is my favourite of them.
Old 08-13-2023, 02:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Whilst Christine’s songs are the best overall, Tango in general is my favourite album so I absolutely love them all.
I really love all Steve’s songs. I don’t get the hate for WTTRS. It’s just a great earthy rock song. I can understand why people dislike WISYA…..but it’s ones I came to love through the sheer number of times I played the album.

But overall….
1 Christine
2 Lindsey
3 Stevie

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood