User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
I haven't been to Anna Maria Island yet but I have been to Clearwater Beach before. I love the water and beaches around there.

That is absolutely fantastic and PERFECT. That's Clearwater you say? Doesn't look too touristy. I'm going to have to investigate that beast!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tim Tebow is a baby!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll say- one thing that is difficult is trying to narrow down where it is you would potentially want to live in Florida. There are so many nice areas. One thing I want is an area/county that isn't ridiculously large (Miami) or very touristy. I've always vacationed in Destin, and that isn't bad- but Manatee County seems to be pretty decent!

It is an intimidating task to research though.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
That is absolutely fantastic and PERFECT. That's Clearwater you say? Doesn't look too touristy. I'm going to have to investigate that beast!!!
No, Clearwater is near there. This was around the AMI area and the Tampa bay area in the backdrop. Beautiful area though!

This is Clearwater Beach.

Last edited by fringed n fab; 03-26-2010 at 10:26 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Registered

Quote:
Ugh, just looking at this makes me feel hot and humid.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well goodness, I'll have to show my mom the picture of Anna Maria Island. It really is absolutely stellar!!! Totally beautiful- I could definitely see myself there. The county actually has 5 or 6 high schools.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Ugh, just looking at this makes me feel hot and humid.
It's Florida
Old 03-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Ledgie

I don't mean to burst your bubble but Florida isn't the place to look for employment at this time. Especially in the education field. The Tampa Bay area encompasses all of the area you have mentioned - Clearwater, Sarasota, etc. has one of the worst economies in the nation. People have stopped moving to Florida and for the first time in many years more people left the state than moved here. I know several teacher who have been laid off.Education is not a priority in Florida and it never will be. The arts are not a priority in the schools here and never will be. Florida is a wonderful place to visit but many different problems have driven this state to the brink of ruin. You need to do some research on this area - the local papers have websites tbo.com and tampabay.com are two to start with. Good luck - if you move to Florida you will need the best of luck and then some.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:55 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TpaDavid View Post
I don't mean to burst your bubble but Florida isn't the place to look for employment at this time. Especially in the education field. The Tampa Bay area encompasses all of the area you have mentioned - Clearwater, Sarasota, etc. has one of the worst economies in the nation. People have stopped moving to Florida and for the first time in many years more people left the state than moved here. I know several teacher who have been laid off.Education is not a priority in Florida and it never will be. The arts are not a priority in the schools here and never will be. Florida is a wonderful place to visit but many different problems have driven this state to the brink of ruin. You need to do some research on this area - the local papers have websites tbo.com and tampabay.com are two to start with. Good luck - if you move to Florida you will need the best of luck and then some.
Yes, this is true. The same could also be written about other "appealing" states such as Arizona & Nevada.

Looking for a real "hot spot"? North Dakota, baby! Insanely low unemployment rate & cost of living!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Yes, this is true. The same could also be written about other "appealing" states such as Arizona & Nevada.

Looking for a real "hot spot"? North Dakota, baby! Insanely low unemployment rate & cost of living!
It took me 4 years to decide I wanted to move down here. In any big move like this I would say research everything and get feedback from locals already in an area you're looking to move. It is true living here vs. vacationing are two different things but living here has it's advantages because you get to experience everything and have way more time to see and do things that only people who have 7 days here don't have enough time to do. As far as the economy, I think the U.S. was hit all over, no matter where you lived. I just came from Ohio and it's once thriving manufacturing base had really started to crumble these past few years. And believe it or not housing in Ohio is more expensive than it is in Florida. What would cost you 1800.00 a month for a home in Ohio (recession or not) you can get for 900.00 living in Florida. I used to think it would be the total opposite. I would just say research everything before moving anywhere, especially a move out of state and have all your cards in place before relocating and if you plan right, you can make it down here and not have to be retired already. I'm secure living down here but if I ever were to move, it would be because of me missing family up north (some are still there) and right now that would be the only reason I would move again in the near future.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It took me 4 years to decide I wanted to move down here. In any big move like this I would say research everything and get feedback from locals already in an area you're looking to move. It is true living here vs. vacationing are two different things but living here has it's advantages because you get to experience everything and have way more time to see and do things that only people who have 7 days here don't have enough time to do. As far as the economy, I think the U.S. was hit all over, no matter where you lived. I just came from Ohio and it's once thriving manufacturing base had really started to crumble these past few years. And believe it or not housing in Ohio is more expensive than it is in Florida. What would cost you 1800.00 a month for a home in Ohio (recession or not) you can get for 900.00 living in Florida. I used to think it would be the total opposite. I would just say research everything before moving anywhere, especially a move out of state and have all your cards in place before relocating and if you plan right, you can make it down here and not have to be retired already. I'm secure living down here but if I ever were to move, it would be because of me missing family up north (some are still there) and right now that would be the only reason I would move again in the near future.
I think I'll have to hire you as my moving consultant. You can help me set everything up! ha ha ha

A great teacher friend of mine has a sister in law who teaches in Florida, and when I mentioned potentially moving there to her, she highly recommended it, saying that there is a definite teacher shortage in the area.

My dad has an old college friend who lives in Homestead, and enjoys it readily!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've also had luck looking into the Okaloosa County Area!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
I've also had luck looking into the Okaloosa County Area!!!
I have no idea right off where that is. I'm Sarasota County here. I did go to Siesta Key yesterday morning about 10 30 am and the parking lot was packed and no room to even park anywhere with Spring Break going on, so I just drove to Venice Beach and spent the day on the pier and sand. Boats galore were out yesterday and the Gulf looked so pretty. I stopped tanning 5 years ago and I got burnt yesterday because of it. Ouch, the Florida sun. It was in the 80's yesterday and so nice. If I'm thinking correctly, when Jon and Kate plus 8 had their show, they filmed an episode on Venice beach once. I have pics I took yesterday but haven't uploaded them yet but this is the pier at Venice Beach.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have no idea right off where that is. I'm Sarasota County here. I did go to Siesta Key yesterday morning about 10 30 am and the parking lot was packed and no room to even park anywhere with Spring Break going on, so I just drove to Venice Beach and spent the day on the pier and sand. Boats galore were out yesterday and the Gulf looked so pretty. I stopped tanning 5 years ago and I got burnt yesterday because of it. Ouch, the Florida sun. It was in the 80's yesterday and so nice. If I'm thinking correctly, when Jon and Kate plus 8 had their show, they filmed an episode on Venice beach once. I have pics I took yesterday but haven't uploaded them yet but this is the pier at Venice Beach.

Such beautiful shots!!!

Okaloosa is on the panhandle and is home to Fort Walton Beach and Destin, as well as Niceville.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This week, the Weather Channel is in Destin, FL which is in Okaloosa County. Destin has been a place my family has vacationed almost annually since I was..... I don't know 6 or something. So it brings back a lot of memories, and I LOVE IT!!! It's funny because they show these panoramic shots and stuff, and I TOTALLY know where they are!! It really feels like a second home, because I have been to Destin more times than any other city besides Louisville- and I guess now, Bowling Green. Makes me want to go back VERY badly!