The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Mirage: Which songs do you like the most?
Christine's songs 10 37.04%
Lindsey's songs 8 29.63%
Stevie's songs 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2023, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Many fans, including I, agree with you. It has heart and warmth. Tango is slicker and more commercial—but it feels distant, cold, by comparison.
I HATE Tango. Cold, sterile, computerized crap.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I know you will! And one of your favorite moments of the BuckVie shows was when she sang it…
Probably, thee favorite moment. And she was "on" the nights I saw her.
Old 08-15-2023, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me, it's a tie. From Love In Store to Oh Diane, every song can fit perfectly in a personal mood. This album is fantastic, as every song inside. Even on this one I could say that Stevie Nicks has a good credit, as That's Alright is a "happy" song, Gpysy the "sweet" one and Straight Back the "rocker" one. But every songwriter has a great work here!
Old 08-15-2023, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
(Mirage) has heart and warmth. Tango (...) feels distant, cold, by comparison.
That's why I love Tango.

Ironic that Mirage, for all its sunny Californian warmth, was recorded in a French chalet over the winter, while Tango, with its chilly europop ambience, was recorded in LA.
Old 08-16-2023, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is tough. Gypsy is the best song, and I have a soft spot for That's Alright. However, I'm not keen on Straight Back -- Christine's harmonies are really what I like. Speaking of Christine, this is her weakest batch of songs to me. Hold Me is wonderful, but I find both Only Over You and Love in Store bland. Which leaves Lindsey? I like all of his except Empire State.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
This is tough. Gypsy is the best song, and I have a soft spot for That's Alright. However, I'm not keen on Straight Back -- Christine's harmonies are really what I like. Speaking of Christine, this is her weakest batch of songs to me. Hold Me is wonderful, but I find both Only Over You and Love in Store bland. Which leaves Lindsey? I like all of his except Empire State.
I agree this is Christine's weakest album. And still her songs are so good. (Or, become so good - as some folks take time to love them).

I didn't like Love In Store when I first heard it. Now, it's like a little anthem for me that starts the album. Kind of like a kid getting excited about Sesame Street.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I agree this is Christine's weakest album. And still her songs are so good. (Or, become so good - as some folks take time to love them).

I didn't like Love In Store when I first heard it. Now, it's like a little anthem for me that starts the album. Kind of like a kid getting excited about Sesame Street.
Love in Store is even my ringtone.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Love in Store is even my ringtone.
Its the song that hooked me in to be a fan watching it on HBO in February 1983. Something about the lyrics have that jr high puppy love/crush feeling where you have butterflies in your stomach. The studio version is almost doo wop. Its easy to sing along with and has a fairly good melody. Its in my top 10 favorite Chris songs of all time.

I cant fight it
Old 08-17-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its the song that hooked me in to be a fan watching it on HBO in February 1983. Something about the lyrics have that jr high puppy love/crush feeling where you have butterflies in your stomach. The studio version is almost doo wop. Its easy to sing along with and has a fairly good melody. Its in my top 10 favorite Chris songs of all time.

I cant fight it
The promos from the HBO hooked me in so hard. I couldn't wait for that show to air.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
The promos from the HBO hooked me in so hard. I couldn't wait for that show to air.
OMG I knooowww! I begged my rich friend down the street to record it for me when it came on, because we didn't have HBO in my house!!!

--Lis
Old 08-17-2023, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Best songs on Mirage: Hold Me, Gypsy, Only Over You, That’s Alright

But we can all agree that Gypsy is one of the most beautiful songs ever created.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I was hypnotized and seduced at the same time. These millennials have no idea what we had to do. I remember setting my alarm at 2:45 am on a school night when I was in 7th grade to watch and tape record the show. We had no VCR. So I would hold the tape recorder up to the TV. It was the last night the show aired on HBO so I had to do something. Then I wrote a 3 page hand written letter to HBO demanding they bring the concert back (hey I was desperate). Sure enough they responded with an official typed letter thanking me for my letter and telling me how popular the concert was and that it was possible for it to re-air again someday. Those suckers never aired it again.
Today anyone can just go to youtube. No one understood our struggle to get this concert.

BTW, with the incredible Hold Me, how can you say Mirage is Chris's weakest album?
Old 08-17-2023, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I couldn’t wait for Mirage to be released. It seemed like forever since Tusk(and it was only 3 years) After getting Lindsey and Stevie’s solo albums (which I loved) but I wanted all three voices together once again. Love in Store was the best way to open up the album. My only wish was that three voices were more prominent on more songs.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not surprising to see a near 3-way split for Mirage as each writer has at least one outstanding tune. I went with Stevie because of Gypsy, one of her best ever writings and the best production Lindsey has ever offered one of her songs and that's saying a lot because most of his production of her songs is perfect. Gypsy just knocks it out of the park in every way. That's Alright and Straight Back are also great, when have we since heard Stevie on a Fleetwood Mac album so committed to her craft. Of course Christine's Hold Me gives them their best ever performing chart single and no wonder, it's a genius pop song. However, her other songs are not up to this standard. To qualify though, when has she ever written a bad song. Lindsey brings Book of Love which I think is his best Mirage song, a happier, more accessible What Makes You Think YOu're the One, his shining moment on Tusk. Like Christine, his other songs are weaker. All and all, I love this album and it has a warm sound that was never to be again.

Last edited by On Ice; 08-20-2023 at 08:39 PM..