The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-12-2017, 12:46 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 8,951
Default Duet vs duo

i keep reading these comments, and not from casual fans or lay peeps, but from hardcore fans here who should know better! seriously people?? you thought this album was gonna be duets?? since when FM do duets? was BN a duet album?? or an album by a duo?

since the first time i read that one article that was titled LB and CM to release a duets album, i just knew general public will becompletely confused by that stupid title. and by LB's weird expressions (burning the bridges anyone?). but people here?? seriously?!?!?!? did you REALLY though you will get duets?

what i still hope is that we will get a few songs like TAM or Hold Me where LB and CM trade lines. but did i think that was gonna be on EVERY song? when there are only 4 FM songs where they do that even though they have a few more cowrites? of course not!
__________________
"You know you should never believe what you read."
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 05-12-2017, 12:49 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 9,529
Default

I think they only called it duets to point out the you know who was absent. You know, Fleetwood Mac without her is STILL Fleetwood Mac.
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-12-2017, 01:31 PM
JimSATX JimSATX is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 45
Default

I wasn't expecting an album of all duets, but I did hope to hear a LOT more harmonies than what we've heard so far. So far, it seems we've heard two Lindsey solo tracks, and one Christine solo track. I'm getting the feeling this album will probably be just five Lindsey solo tracks and five Christine solo tracks slapped together to make an album. I was thinking we'd hear a lot more of them all over the chorus, with background vocals at least, on each other's songs. I'm pretty disappointed so far.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-12-2017, 02:20 PM
TrueFaith77's Avatar
TrueFaith77 TrueFaith77 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York City!
Posts: 4,528
Default

elle is right

still wish there was more Christine on the harmonies, though
__________________
Find out more about my books: The Community of Desire: Selected Critical Writings (2001-2007) & Serpents and Doves <---Fleetwood Mac content!!! & my NEW book Watch the Throne
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-12-2017, 02:27 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think they only called it duets to point out the you know who was absent. You know, Fleetwood Mac without her is STILL Fleetwood Mac.
I also think that was the reason. They needed to point out that it was NOT a FM album. I guess to explain you're doing a duets album with two musicians who are not in fact doing any song together is a bit long.
__________________
"This has been the best tour I've been on. Ever, ever, ever..."- Stevie Nicks. 24 Karat Gold Tour, Long Island, NY -April 6, 2017.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-12-2017, 02:37 PM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 4,609
Default

I actually don't remember them ever saying that this was going to be an album of duets, but a they did refer to it once or twice as a duet album (The body of work felt like it was meant to be a duet album.) which can have a different meaning; however I still think that Christine is scandalously underused at least in these songs we heard, maybe the rest of the album it's different but in that case choosing to release as first tracks that showcase Christine the least would be a criminally wrong marketing strategy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-12-2017, 04:20 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I actually don't remember them ever saying that this was going to be an album of duets, but a they did refer to it once or twice as a duet album (The body of work felt like it was meant to be a duet album.) which can have a different meaning; however I still think that Christine is scandalously underused at least in these songs we heard, maybe the rest of the album it's different but in that case choosing to release as first tracks that showcase Christine the least would be a criminally wrong marketing strategy.
They are to blame for the word "duet" being used at all.... because both of them have used it. Didn't she even use the word on Jools Holland??

They are a duo.... or at least that's the word that reflects their intention.

The songs are most definitely NOT duets, based on the 3 we've heard so far. I'd go so far as to say they don't sound like they are a duo either-- a term that implies collaboration.

And so far it all sounds very Lindsey solo album, musically and otherwise.

I don't hear ANY musical influence of Christine at all. Her scribbling some lyrics to one of his musical tracks, even if she sings the lead vocal, is NOT hearing her influence/style.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 1,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think they only called it duets to point out the you know who was absent. You know, Fleetwood Mac without her is STILL Fleetwood Mac.
BINGO!
Correct answer!
******balloons dropping*****

Claim your prize!
__________________
Let's go Buck/McVie
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-12-2017, 05:52 PM
MikeInNV MikeInNV is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
BINGO!
Correct answer!
******balloons dropping*****

Claim your prize!
Doesn't billing themselves as Buckingham/McVie already point out that you-know-who is absent?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-12-2017, 06:07 PM
jwd jwd is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Fleetucky
Posts: 2,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i keep reading these comments, and not from casual fans or lay peeps, but from hardcore fans here who should know better! seriously people?? you thought this album was gonna be duets?? since when FM do duets? was BN a duet album?? or an album by a duo?

since the first time i read that one article that was titled LB and CM to release a duets album, i just knew general public will becompletely confused by that stupid title. and by LB's weird expressions (burning the bridges anyone?). but people here?? seriously?!?!?!? did you REALLY though you will get duets?

what i still hope is that we will get a few songs like TAM or Hold Me where LB and CM trade lines. but did i think that was gonna be on EVERY song? when there are only 4 FM songs where they do that even though they have a few more cowrites? of course not!

THANKS for stating that! I never got the sentiment that Lindsey and Christine were going to sing and be proliferate on each others' tracks. And was kind of puzzled as to why so many people were bummed that Chris wasn't heard on Lindsey's song(s)?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-12-2017, 06:22 PM
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
They are to blame for the word "duet" being used at all.... because both of them have used it. Didn't she even use the word on Jools Holland??

They are a duo.... or at least that's the word that reflects their intention.

The songs are most definitely NOT duets, based on the 3 we've heard so far. I'd go so far as to say they don't sound like they are a duo either-- a term that implies collaboration.

And so far it all sounds very Lindsey solo album, musically and otherwise.

I don't hear ANY musical influence of Christine at all. Her scribbling some lyrics to one of his musical tracks, even if she sings the lead vocal, is NOT hearing her influence/style.
I agree with everything you said, especially the part about the three songs sounding like a LB solo outing. And I did expect at least a few duets in the vein of Hold Me, and I'm confused why they didn't. Christine dueted with Billy on Do You Know and Stevie dueted with Rick on Love is Dangerous. Hmmm...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-12-2017, 06:36 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 8,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
THANKS for stating that! I never got the sentiment that Lindsey and Christine were going to sing and be proliferate on each others' tracks. And was kind of puzzled as to why so many people were bummed that Chris wasn't heard on Lindsey's song(s)?
Many people seem to be looking for something to hate re buckvie. I find some complaints funny and sad at the same time.
That said - as somebody already called me on it - pot kettle in my case. At the time of SWS I thought SATC is way too light of a song for LB and that one sounds almost heavy compared to other 2 they released.
__________________
"You know you should never believe what you read."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-12-2017, 10:15 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Many people seem to be looking for something to hate re buckvie. I find some complaints funny and sad at the same time.
That said - as somebody already called me on it - pot kettle in my case. At the time of SWS I thought SATC is way too light of a song for LB and that one sounds almost heavy compared to other 2 they released.
au contraire -- some of us are looking for something to LIKE and even, daggone it, LOVE about this. I find the fact that we haven't gotten anything to fill that bill (yes, my opinion) is what is sad and disappointing. I mean, it's them, and I'll be buying it and I already have seats for the tour.....but......it needs to be better than 24k Gold dreck, and so far..........
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-12-2017, 11:39 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 5,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I agree with everything you said, especially the part about the three songs sounding like a LB solo outing. And I did expect at least a few duets in the vein of Hold Me, and I'm confused why they didn't. Christine dueted with Billy on Do You Know and Stevie dueted with Rick on Love is Dangerous. Hmmm...
Not to mention that Billy and Rick dueted with each other on When The Sun Goes Down.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
Stephen Hopkins

https://www.facebook.com/Espy.Hopkins ; @espyhop)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-12-2017, 11:44 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 5,312
Default

I think Lindsey's songs could feature more definitive audible contributions from Christine. While I don't hate the songs, I don't love them, but they work well when played together.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
Stephen Hopkins

https://www.facebook.com/Espy.Hopkins ; @espyhop)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

SIGNED - Mick Fleetwood "Mac" Drumhead 12" + Pic
$400.0
SIGNED - Mick Fleetwood Fleetwood Mac Poster Tusk Two Sided Stevie Nicks
$199.99
Fleetwood Mac Poster  Tusk  Two Sided  Stevie Nicks pictureBob Welch Autograph Fleetwood Mac Signed Sentimental Lady 70s Rare Deceased
$187.99
Bob Welch Autograph Fleetwood Mac Signed Sentimental Lady 70s Rare Deceased picturec1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET LINDSEY MICK CHRIS & JOHN IN STUDIO
$179.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET LINDSEY MICK CHRIS & JOHN IN STUDIO pictureFleetwood Mac 1970 Lord Neilson Star Disc Card #17 PSA 10 GEM MINT
$175.96
Fleetwood Mac 1970 Lord Neilson Star Disc Card #17 PSA 10 GEM MINT picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved