The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-02-2017, 06:25 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 536
Default Silver Springs

I'm sorry if something like this has been posted several times before but this just came up on shuffle and I really started thinking about how amazing this song is. I think, objectively, this is probably Stevie's greatest creation. Because not only is it an incredible song, it's an EFFECTIVE song. In my opinion, this song, especially the end of it, accomplishes the same type of "thing" that Eric Clapton accomplished with Layla. It's hard to put it into words, but it just has this power and quality to it that doesn't happen too often.

And I know people mostly talk about the version from the Dance which is epic, no doubt about it. But I don't think anything compares to the original vocal. The little growl in her voice when she goes "from the SOUND" at the end.
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 PM
lbfan lbfan is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 413
Default Effects of Songs on People

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I'm sorry if something like this has been posted several times before but this just came up on shuffle and I really started thinking about how amazing this song is. I think, objectively, this is probably Stevie's greatest creation. Because not only is it an incredible song, it's an EFFECTIVE song. In my opinion, this song, especially the end of it, accomplishes the same type of "thing" that Eric Clapton accomplished with Layla. It's hard to put it into words, but it just has this power and quality to it that doesn't happen too often.

And I know people mostly talk about the version from the Dance which is epic, no doubt about it. But I don't think anything compares to the original vocal. The little growl in her voice when she goes "from the SOUND" at the end.
I find it interesting how music affects people - for me it is usually live versions of songs that I get that sense of power or emotion. On the Wembley (1980) live version of The Chain, the raw energy, passion and emotion that Lindsey and Stevie poured into that song really comes through the speakers (seems too "rehearsed" on recent tours). And I am amazed at the number of people that comment how Lindsey's Out of the Cradle helped them through difficult times. While it seemed to be cathartic for Lindsey and many others, his relationship with Richard Dashut ended at that time (perhaps during the two to three year production). Richard seemed to break down when he acknowledged listening to it during his blog. Music can be a powerful instrument, both positively and negatively.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-02-2017, 09:15 PM
StevieandChris StevieandChris is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 88
Default

My favorite Stevie/FM song. I first heard and fell in love with the version on The Dance when I was in college...later heard the version that on Crystal Visions and love that too. Wonderful song.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-02-2017, 10:12 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,400
Default

The Dance version is so spot on. They actually don't have to act in that version because I can see Stevie feeling it. Also, Christine's piano, harmony and Lindsey's guitar give the song magic.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-02-2017, 10:33 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
I find it interesting how music affects people - for me it is usually live versions of songs that I get that sense of power or emotion. On the Wembley (1980) live version of The Chain, the raw energy, passion and emotion that Lindsey and Stevie poured into that song really comes through the speakers (seems too "rehearsed" on recent tours). And I am amazed at the number of people that comment how Lindsey's Out of the Cradle helped them through difficult times. While it seemed to be cathartic for Lindsey and many others, his relationship with Richard Dashut ended at that time (perhaps during the two to three year production). Richard seemed to break down when he acknowledged listening to it during his blog. Music can be a powerful instrument, both positively and negatively.
Those six concerts at Wembley during 1980 were magical. Each live version is fantastic. They were in their prime.
__________________
"This has been the best tour I've been on. Ever, ever, ever..."- Stevie Nicks. 24 Karat Gold Tour, Long Island, NY -April 6, 2017.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-03-2017, 05:28 AM
Wdm6789 Wdm6789 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I'm sorry if something like this has been posted several times before but this just came up on shuffle and I really started thinking about how amazing this song is. I think, objectively, this is probably Stevie's greatest creation. Because not only is it an incredible song, it's an EFFECTIVE song. In my opinion, this song, especially the end of it, accomplishes the same type of "thing" that Eric Clapton accomplished with Layla. It's hard to put it into words, but it just has this power and quality to it that doesn't happen too often.

And I know people mostly talk about the version from the Dance which is epic, no doubt about it. But I don't think anything compares to the original vocal. The little growl in her voice when she goes "from the SOUND" at the end.

Silver Springs is probably Stevie's greatest creation? You've heard Sara and Gypsy, right?

The Dance version of Silver Springs is really good, but the backup singers ruined the chorus, way too many voices singing in that performance.

Last edited by Wdm6789 : 05-03-2017 at 05:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-03-2017, 05:39 AM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 4,609
Default

Silver Springs is one of my favourite tunes both by Stevie and FM; my favourite version is this one with the epic long coda that gradually builds up, it's the closest we have to the almost 7 minutes one Stevie said was initially envisioned. In my opinion in this form it's one of the best power ballads ever written.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-03-2017, 05:46 AM
BLY BLY is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Silver Springs is probably Stevie's greatest creation? You've heard Sara and Gypsy, right?

The Dance version of Silver Springs is really good, but the backup singers ruined the chorus, way too many voices singing in that performance.

The Dance version is good and I do agree with backup singers ruined the chorus for sure...nothing beats the studio release.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-03-2017, 08:03 AM
On Ice On Ice is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 403
Default

Quote:
Silver Springs is one of my favourite tunes both by Stevie and FM; my favourite version is this one with the epic long coda that gradually builds up, it's the closest we have to the almost 7 minutes one Stevie said was initially envisioned. In my opinion in this form it's one of the best power ballads ever written.
Thanks for posting Sisternight, what an amazing version. Recorded when Stevie was at her prime, I've always felt Silver Springs was the biggest hit Fleetwood Mac never had. The song is perfect in every way and this version is the best I've heard by far. It is without a doubt Stevie's best written and performed song. While outstanding in the Dance form, Silver Springs preserved in all its original glory is hard to beat. I've waffled on its inclusion on Rumours but gotta say it was almost criminal to relegate it to a b-side.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-03-2017, 02:04 PM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 4,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Thanks for posting Sisternight, what an amazing version. Recorded when Stevie was at her prime, I've always felt Silver Springs was the biggest hit Fleetwood Mac never had. The song is perfect in every way and this version is the best I've heard by far. It is without a doubt Stevie's best written and performed song. While outstanding in the Dance form, Silver Springs preserved in all its original glory is hard to beat. I've waffled on its inclusion on Rumours but gotta say it was almost criminal to relegate it to a b-side.
You're welcome. Richard Dashut said Silver Springs is "The best song that never made it to a record album" and I absolutely agree. After hearing this version, that I believe is from the 2004 reissue, the one on the album striked me as too short. If the price to pay for Silver Spring's inclusion on the album would have been to cut the song so much, I think it's better to have left it out altogether.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,790
Default

personally I love the vocals they went with on the B-side. The youtube version above is I think closer to what Stevie wanted her vocals to be-- more upfront in the mix (they way she would eventually get them on her solo albums). She's a bit more blended in the mix on the single version and they went with a little less of the rocking edge vocals at the end (they are woven in with the softer vocal take as well). So this is interesting coz I think it's more what she would have wanted but wasn't powerful enough in the band to demand at the time, and the released version is closer to what the producers (including Lindsey) envisioned for her voice. That said, I do like the released one better.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-03-2017, 02:56 PM
StevieandChris StevieandChris is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 88
Default

Thanks very much for this thread. Silver Springs is a great old song.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-03-2017, 03:39 PM
24karatstevie's Avatar
24karatstevie 24karatstevie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Silver Springs is one of my favourite tunes both by Stevie and FM; my favourite version is this one with the epic long coda that gradually builds up, it's the closest we have to the almost 7 minutes one Stevie said was initially envisioned. In my opinion in this form it's one of the best power ballads ever written.

The pure raw emotion in this is UNREAL!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-03-2017, 05:04 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,400
Default

^^^^ That's a great version!
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-06-2017, 02:41 PM
lilyfee's Avatar
lilyfee lilyfee is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 305
Default

Haunting! I can't even imagine an alternate future in which Rumours somehow had more of a lasting impact than it already does... But with this song on there, I believe it would!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Fleetwood Mac Poster Tusk Two Sided Stevie Nicks
$199.99
Fleetwood Mac Poster  Tusk  Two Sided  Stevie Nicks pictureSexy Luminaire Antique Brass Thin Stem w/ H-Made Stevie Nicks Black Beaded Shade
$140.0
Sexy Luminaire Antique Brass Thin Stem w/ H-Made Stevie Nicks Black Beaded Shade pictureStevie Nicks & And Friends Offset Poster bob Masse Of Fleetwood Mac
$74.99
Stevie Nicks & And Friends Offset Poster bob Masse Of Fleetwood Mac pictureStevie Nicks Poster Best of Timespace Album Tour Promo Mint Fleetwood Mac
$69.99
Stevie Nicks Poster Best of Timespace Album Tour Promo Mint Fleetwood Mac pictureFleetwood Mac Poster Album Promo Say You Will 2-Sided Stevie Nicks Mick
$49.99
Fleetwood Mac Poster Album Promo Say You Will 2-Sided Stevie Nicks Mick picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved