The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-04-2017, 02:45 PM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 4,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post
"Rapture" was a fluke. Debbie is a little too stiff/detached to be funky. Her subsequent attempts at rap (from "Military Rap" on KooKoo to "Shakedown" on The Curse of Blondie) have generally been embarrassing.
Rapture was actually a bit embarassing mostly because Debbie's "flow" (I hate that I actually know this term and I hate even more the fact that I'm using it) isn't the smoothest.
What ultimately saved that song in my opinion is the fact that the band took a great risk with it and made a daring and unexpected choice venturing into this unforeseen blend of new-wave, pop and rap; A step like this can work just the first time around. Also having the rap part follow right after a melodic one has a good surprise effect, when I heard Rapture for the first time I thought there was something wrong, that maybe it suddenly skipped to a diffent song altogether and it took a moment to realize it wasn't so.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-04-2017, 05:08 PM
ahafan02's Avatar
ahafan02 ahafan02 is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I had read that the original version of "Call Me", as offered to Stevie, was an instrumental entitled "Man Machine". Debbie Harry ended up writing the lyrics to "Call Me", hence the change of title.
Stevie was in fact offered the instrumental demo first. The demo was called "Man Machine". He then offered to Debbie who re-worked the melody then wrote the words.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-04-2017, 05:09 PM
ahafan02's Avatar
ahafan02 ahafan02 is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Rapture was actually a bit embarassing mostly because Debbie's "flow" (I hate that I actually know this term and I hate even more the fact that I'm using it) isn't the smoothest.
What ultimately saved that song in my opinion is the fact that the band took a great risk with it and made a daring and unexpected choice venturing into this unforeseen blend of new-wave, pop and rap; A step like this can work just the first time around. Also having the rap part follow right after a melodic one has a good surprise effect, when I heard Rapture for the first time I thought there was something wrong, that maybe it suddenly skipped to a diffent song altogether and it took a moment to realize it wasn't so.
Rapture is a great early 80's song....the "rap" was similiar in style to the rap being done at that time. Rap in the early 80's was miles away from what we call Rap now.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:43 PM
ricohv ricohv is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post
The new Blondie album comes out tomorrow, and the first single "Fun" is pretty fun.
It is fun, and so is the video. The last few Blondie albums have probably sold even less than 24 Karat Gold, yet they keep going, making entertaining music and videos. I'm sure there main income has to be from touring, yet they haven't turned into a greatest hits/nostalgia act. In this regard I wish Stevie would take a cue from them and carry on being her creative self!
*Ricoh*
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-05-2017, 01:44 PM
TheWildHeart67 TheWildHeart67 is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post
The new Blondie album comes out tomorrow, and the first single "Fun" is pretty fun.
"Fun" is a good song?
I'll have to listen to it.
I haven't fully enjoyed a Blondie album since the fabulous "No Exit" album.
I'm a huge Blondie/Deborah fan, and it's cool they still are making music.
I often wonder if Blondie would have had continued success had they not disbanded in the 80's until the late 90's.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-05-2017, 03:26 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 506
Default

Was Blondie as popular as Fleetwood Mac back in their heyday? These days I'd say Debbie Harry is pretty comparable to Stevie in terms of ~~icon~~ status with each of their respective "images" being a big part of it (you could even say she's more popular depending on who you ask; some pictures of her, like the ones by Warhol, are extremely famous) but Fleetwood Mac is a MUCH more popular band. I'd wonder if Blondie could even fill an arena these days.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-05-2017, 03:38 PM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 4,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
Rapture is a great early 80's song....the "rap" was similiar in style to the rap being done at that time. Rap in the early 80's was miles away from what we call Rap now.
Of course Rapture was a great song. It was adventurous. I'm not a rap expert because I don't appreciate it but it makes sense that that of the song is closer to the rap style of the time than that of today, I just doubt that Rapture would be considered by rap connoisseurs a good example of early 80s rap. I just think Debbie Harry couldn't totally pull it off. However it was a good experiment.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-05-2017, 07:39 PM
ahafan02's Avatar
ahafan02 ahafan02 is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Of course Rapture was a great song. It was adventurous. I'm not a rap expert because I don't appreciate it but it makes sense that that of the song is closer to the rap style of the time than that of today, I just doubt that Rapture would be considered by rap connoisseurs a good example of early 80s rap. I just think Debbie Harry couldn't totally pull it off. However it was a good experiment.
I'm not a rap specialist either but I agree I don't think Rapture is considered by rap fans as a great moment in rap. If anything it brought some attention to rap groups of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-05-2017, 08:04 PM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 3,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Was Blondie as popular as Fleetwood Mac back in their heyday? These days I'd say Debbie Harry is pretty comparable to Stevie in terms of ~~icon~~ status with each of their respective "images" being a big part of it (you could even say she's more popular depending on who you ask; some pictures of her, like the ones by Warhol, are extremely famous) but Fleetwood Mac is a MUCH more popular band. I'd wonder if Blondie could even fill an arena these days.
Blondie was more of a singles band they had many more hits in the U.K. than the U.S. as far as album sales go they are not in Fleetwood Mac 's league. Stevie solo has outsold all of Blondie's albums combined here in the U.S.
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-06-2017, 02:35 AM
porkpie porkpie is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 58
Default

I love both acts, and at this very moment listening to Pollinator the new Blondie album (released yesterday) which has had nothing but excellent reviews. It was recorded in the studio as a band effort and it really shows - it's up there with the best of their albums.

Koo Koo I've come to like a lot more recently but that's because I also got into Chic, and although it's a very different record to either of those bands' previous records I like it's cold, jagged sound. I don't think you can compare it to Belladonna (chalk and cheese) but if you're going to it wins hands down. I love the sound of a band and my favourite Stevie albums are her first two and 24 Karat Gold.

Last edited by porkpie : 05-07-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-06-2017, 03:32 AM
TheWildHeart67 TheWildHeart67 is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 228
Default

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...inator-w480408
3 1/2 stars.

Blondie's latest album is 'Pollinator.' Joey L/The Sunday Times Magazine/Redux
By Jon Dolan
2 days ago
Blondie worked with fans from throughout the musical spectrum on their latest album: Sia, Nick Valensi of the Strokes, U.K. pop-punk diva Charli XCX, avant-R&B star Blood Orange and more. Each puts their own reverent spin on the band's vintage neon Nu Yawk garage rock, as 71-year-old Debbie Harry has a catty good time all over the place. On the blazing "My Monster," written by Smiths guitar legend Johnny Marr, she drops the bored bon mot "human beings are stupid things," like a Dorothy Parker of the Bowery.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-06-2017, 03:39 AM
TheWildHeart67 TheWildHeart67 is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 228
Default

Blondie's brand new song/video,
'Fun."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=iEngbdIMZ6o
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-06-2017, 03:49 AM
porkpie porkpie is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Was Blondie as popular as Fleetwood Mac back in their heyday? These days I'd say Debbie Harry is pretty comparable to Stevie in terms of ~~icon~~ status with each of their respective "images" being a big part of it (you could even say she's more popular depending on who you ask; some pictures of her, like the ones by Warhol, are extremely famous) but Fleetwood Mac is a MUCH more popular band. I'd wonder if Blondie could even fill an arena these days.

Blondie were/are much bigger in the UK due to the number of hit singles they had, Stevie, for example never charted well in the UK, in or out of the band. True FM had big selling albums here but so did Blondie (Parallel Lines was the biggest selling album of 1979, the year after it was released and the same year their next album, Eat to the Beat went to no. 1). Fleetwood Mac still sell out concerts here very well but are much less relevant given their setlist hasn't changed since about 1987 and the music they do sell is either greatest hits or reissues. In that respect, Stevie is a lot more relevant and productive than the band and her last couple solo albums did relatively ok here given the almost complete lack of promotion. She probably just needs better management/representation in the UK and she could sell a lot more. I hope this Buckingham/Mcvie record is good but I'm more looking forward to 24 Karat Gold 2 if it happens. Blondie also played Glastonbury twice since reforming, something the greedy Mac haven't done because of their fee demands (and I think it's clear to everyone now which member is pushing the price up!)

Last edited by porkpie : 05-06-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-06-2017, 11:59 AM
ricohv ricohv is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
Blondie's brand new song/video,
'Fun."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=iEngbdIMZ6o
The 2nd single, "Long Time" is pretty catchy too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaL-G9zVxzk
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-06-2017, 12:41 PM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 3,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
The 2nd single, "Long Time" is pretty catchy too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaL-G9zVxzk
Wow great song that sold me..just bought that album on amazon.
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo
$20.0
1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo pictureSam Moore/Bekka Bramlett Signed/Autographed CD Sleeve/Obtained In Person
$12.95
Sam Moore/Bekka Bramlett Signed/Autographed CD Sleeve/Obtained In Person picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved