The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-01-2017, 11:28 PM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I just came here to mention Never Forget. I'm always left smiling at the end of listening to Tusk just because of those harmonies alone.
I've had that same feeling at the end of Tusk. : ) What a great closing song.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I just came here to mention Never Forget. I'm always left smiling at the end of listening to Tusk just because of those harmonies alone.
An often forgotten gem.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Netter75's Avatar
Netter75 Netter75 is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
An often forgotten gem.
Never Forget is one of my favorites off of Tusk, glad to see it get some attention! Always figured I was the only one to hold it in such high regard. The harmonies, her vocals, the beat, the piano, and the fact that it might be the best closer to ANY Fleetwood Mac album make it exceptional for me.

(GDW is probably a better song standalone but Never Forget finishes Tusk so much more effectively)

While I like most of Christine's song on the album well enough (Brown Eyes mainly) Never Forget is the song I think of to represent her contributions.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-03-2017, 02:16 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
Never Forget is one of my favorites off of Tusk, glad to see it get some attention! Always figured I was the only one to hold it in such high regard. The harmonies, her vocals, the beat, the piano, and the fact that it might be the best closer to ANY Fleetwood Mac album make it exceptional for me.

(GDW is probably a better song standalone but Never Forget finishes Tusk so much more effectively)

While I like most of Christine's song on the album well enough (Brown Eyes mainly) Never Forget is the song I think of to represent her contributions.
She opens and closes the album. Which I often forget of this LB album.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Lola Lola is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 155
Default

I love Never Forget. It's not a harmony part but when Chris sings "just remember that love is gold" it kills me every time (in a good way)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-03-2017, 04:07 PM
brad975 brad975 is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 61
Default

It's always seemed like a missed opportunity that there aren't more songs where I can clearly distinguish all 3 singers, no matter who's on lead. Backing vocals are backing vocals, so it's not appropriate for every production, but I still wish there were more songs like this.

On songs like "Go Your Own Way," I know Stevie and Christine are probably in there but it's hard to tell. Concerning the studio version of "The Chain," I didn't even know Christine was vocally present till I read it recently. I'd like to think Stevie is on "Think About Me," but I really don't know what to think. Some of you probably have better ears than I do.

Christine has a smooth tone that tends to blend in, so even if can tell she's in the mix (e.g. "Dreams"), I don't necessarily pick up her distinctive sound. And Stevie was criminally underutilized on backing vocals/harmonies.

Lindsey, however, was perhaps overused. By Mirage/Tango, it seemed like almost every song had a lush blurry choir of Lindseys. Not long ago, I played Mirage straight through for my bf who'd never heard anything but the singles. "Lindsey 'I've Got to Be on Every Song' Buckingham" was what he called him afterward.

But anyway, here are my studio faves where I can clearly hear all 3:

Say You Love Me
Honey Hi
Over & Over
The Farmer's Daughter (studio outtake)
Never Forget
Beautiful Child
Never Forget
Love in Store
Little Lies (I'm stretching for songs to include, but I'm stopping at WTTRS and WISYA)
Steal Your Heart Away (wish there were a bit more Christine, but I hear her)

Last edited by brad975 : 05-03-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-03-2017, 04:26 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,665
Default

Little Lies
The Chain
Love in Store
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-03-2017, 04:34 PM
ViscountViktor ViscountViktor is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 330
Default

Oh I love the harmonies in Never Forget. Beautiful song. Honey Hi is also a standout. Wish they'd done proper harmonies on Save Me A Place instead of all Lindsey - that would have been amazing.

Farmer's Daughter and Dreams for me are the best. But there's so many, that's the magic of Fleetwood Mac.
__________________
So I close my eyes softly, till I become that part of the wind...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
Oh I love the harmonies in Never Forget. Beautiful song. Honey Hi is also a standout. Wish they'd done proper harmonies on Save Me A Place instead of all Lindsey - that would have been amazing.

Farmer's Daughter and Dreams for me are the best. But there's so many, that's the magic of Fleetwood Mac.
I thought we were talking about 3 part harmonies, not just Christine and Stevie.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-03-2017, 04:42 PM
ViscountViktor ViscountViktor is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post
On songs like "Go Your Own Way," I know Stevie and Christine are probably in there but it's hard to tell. Concerning the studio version of "The Chain," I didn't even know Christine was vocally present till I read it recently. I'd like to think Stevie is on "Think About Me," but I really don't know what to think. Some of you probably have better ears than I do.

Christine has a smooth tone that tends to blend in, so even if can tell she's in the mix (e.g. "Dreams"), I don't necessarily pick up her distinctive sound. And Stevie was criminally underutilized on backing vocals/harmonies.

Lindsey, however, was perhaps overused. By Mirage/Tango, it seemed like almost every song had a lush blurry choir of Lindseys. Not long ago, I played Mirage straight through for my bf who'd never heard anything but the singles. "Lindsey 'I've Got to Be on Every Song' Buckingham" was what he called him afterward.
Some good points here.

Stevie and Chris are definitely on GYOW, you can hear them when Lindsey drops out before the big guitar solo, but because Stevie is just doubling Lindsey's main chorus melody, and Lindsey is harmonising with himself on the lower harmony, you can't hear it that well.

Think About Me, very hard to tell, I feel like Stevie is again singing the melody in the chorus which makes it hard to pick out.

Dreams, Stevie doubles up Christine's harmony and I think S's one is mixed too high at some points drowning Christine out.

Definitely - if Lindsey had gone for a proper 3 part on his songs instead of all him it would have sounded amazing
__________________
So I close my eyes softly, till I become that part of the wind...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-03-2017, 05:13 PM
ViscountViktor ViscountViktor is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I thought we were talking about 3 part harmonies, not just Christine and Stevie.
I don't follow. I was talking about 3 parts.
__________________
So I close my eyes softly, till I become that part of the wind...
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-03-2017, 07:29 PM
deribish's Avatar
deribish deribish is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 304
Default

I'm happy to throw WTTRS and Sara into the mix (esp the 5.1 version of Sara, where you can hear Linds and Chris so clearly in the mix.)

i really wish IF they ever do a full FM again, that's it's stripped down raw affair, not an overly-processed, perfectly produced pop. I want to hear the three of them singing together -- not overdubbed and effected. A studio album that sounds "live and raw." It would be amazing!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-03-2017, 07:37 PM
KenB KenB is online now
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deribish View Post
i really wish IF they ever do a full FM again, that's it's stripped down raw affair, not an overly-processed, perfectly produced pop. I want to hear the three of them singing together -- not overdubbed and effected. A studio album that sounds "live and raw." It would be amazing!
Sadly, none of them have the vocal chops for that anymore. (MAYBE Christine, I don't know.) Few 70-year-olds do.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:29 PM
sorcerer999
This message has been deleted by sorcerer999.
  #44  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:30 AM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 3,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
"Honey Hi" is perhaps one of the most underrated moments in Fleetwood Mac history. It is, hands down, the greatest three part harmony that the band has ever recorded.
I like it as I do almost all of Tusk but it almost seemed to me like the song was created for the harmonies and not the other way around.
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-04-2017, 01:05 AM
secondhandchain secondhandchain is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post
It's always seemed like a missed opportunity that there aren't more songs where I can clearly distinguish all 3 singers, no matter who's on lead. Backing vocals are backing vocals, so it's not appropriate for every production, but I still wish there were more songs like this.

On songs like "Go Your Own Way," I know Stevie and Christine are probably in there but it's hard to tell. Concerning the studio version of "The Chain," I didn't even know Christine was vocally present till I read it recently. I'd like to think Stevie is on "Think About Me," but I really don't know what to think. Some of you probably have better ears than I do.

Christine has a smooth tone that tends to blend in, so even if can tell she's in the mix (e.g. "Dreams"), I don't necessarily pick up her distinctive sound. And Stevie was criminally underutilized on backing vocals/harmonies.

Lindsey, however, was perhaps overused. By Mirage/Tango, it seemed like almost every song had a lush blurry choir of Lindseys. Not long ago, I played Mirage straight through for my bf who'd never heard anything but the singles. "Lindsey 'I've Got to Be on Every Song' Buckingham" was what he called him afterward.

But anyway, here are my studio faves where I can clearly hear all 3:

Say You Love Me
Honey Hi
Over & Over
The Farmer's Daughter (studio outtake)
Never Forget
Beautiful Child
Never Forget
Love in Store
Little Lies (I'm stretching for songs to include, but I'm stopping at WTTRS and WISYA)
Steal Your Heart Away (wish there were a bit more Christine, but I hear her)
If you are singing good three part harmony you shouldn't be able to distinguish.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Christine McVie Poster Fleetwood Mac Old
$99.99
Christine McVie Poster Fleetwood Mac Old pictureChristine McVie Of Fleetwood Mac Poster OLD
$49.99
Christine McVie Of Fleetwood Mac Poster OLD pictureChristine McVie Poster Fleetwood Mac Old /Warner Brothers
$49.0
Christine McVie Poster Fleetwood Mac Old /Warner Brothers pictureFleetwood Mac Stevie Nicks Mick Christine McVie Lindsey Grammy Award Poster
$24.99
Fleetwood Mac Stevie Nicks Mick Christine McVie Lindsey Grammy Award Poster pictureFLEETWOOD MAC ORIGINAL PHOTO Mac John Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks 1977 Band
$19.99
FLEETWOOD MAC ORIGINAL PHOTO Mac John Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks 1977 Band picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved