User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
I'm ashamed to say, even as a Lndoner, for years I didn't sus this obvious thing out !
Thank you THD, of course! I know what you mean. I lived in Liverpool for four years, and I didn't sus this obvious thing out either I even think I used to pronounce it the same way as you did, with the stress on "Yer"

A pity Beatles didn't play more blues. "Don' t let me down" has a bluesy feeling, until the waltzy bit ruins it all....

Ms Moose
Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Well, I bought this one by Jim King a while ago:
http://www.guitar9.com/guitarmusic9/...saregreen.html
Im not very fond of it, but it's OK.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I bought this one by Jim King a while ago:
http://www.guitar9.com/guitarmusic9/...saregreen.html
Im not very fond of it, but it's OK.
I've met Jim King. In fact, even played with him one night at a blues jam at the San Juan Capistrano (California) Train Depot Bar about 11 or 12 years ago. I seem to recall us doing "Stop Messin' Round", "I Loved Another Woman" (which I sang) & "Love That Burns". Hearing that the "Peter Green" tone was his thing, I went into as much of "Danny Kirwan" mode as I could come up with (despite Danny not ever playing on the original recordings of those three songs)...I'd only had my Turner Model 1 for a short time and was still getting used to its workings...and had just sold my Les Paul about a week earlier.

Jim was/is a nice guy...we talked "all things Peter" for about an hour after we got done. Our paths have not crossed since, unfortunately.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Then, of course, (well, not all Peter green) the Mick Fleetwood Bluesband featuring Rick Vito with the album "Blue Again", 2009.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I've met Jim King. In fact, even played with him one night at a blues jam at the San Juan Capistrano (California) Train Depot Bar about 11 or 12 years ago. I seem to recall us doing "Stop Messin' Round", "I Loved Another Woman" (which I sang) & "Love That Burns". Hearing that the "Peter Green" tone was his thing, I went into as much of "Danny Kirwan" mode as I could come up with (despite Danny not ever playing on the original recordings of those three songs)...I'd only had my Turner Model 1 for a short time and was still getting used to its workings...and had just sold my Les Paul about a week earlier.

Jim was/is a nice guy...we talked "all things Peter" for about an hour after we got done. Our paths have not crossed since, unfortunately.
That's nice, Chili. I'd have loved to see you perform there, since I Loved Another Woman was the song that hooked me on the Mac (and furthermore: blues in general, especially the old masters). I used to try to sing that too, and on some ocasions I actually did.

But.... it's far better to leave the singing to others....That's all you'll get from me on that topic
Old 10-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Some covers ...

Some legally free Peter-Green-era FM covers collected over the years: http://www.geonius.com/music/covers/greeny.html (some are no long available, such as those from the original MP3.com). Most or probably all of the "Black Magic Woman" covers are Santana-style.

I don't think "Yer Blues" had anything to do with Fleetwood Mac - IIRC, in fact, it was a parody of British blues solos playing the same note over and over again - definitely not Peter Green! "Sun King" was supposedly inspired by "Albatross". Other blues songs by the Beatles, off the top of my head, include "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" and "For You Blue" and, of course, "I Want You (She's So Heavy)".

The Rudy Rotta Band and Peter Green recorded a version of "Black Magic Woman", which has been discussed in past years on The Ledge. A Dutch band, John the Revelator at http://www.johntherevelator.nl/, recorded some FM covers (not originals though) on their Bluesproof album.

Probably my favorite cover/non-cover was an original by John Edmonds and his son, Andrew: "Can't Change the Past". First recorded by the father's Essex Blues Band (and can be heard at http://www.mp3.com.au/EssexBluesband/Music), it is loosely based on "If You Be My Baby", complete with Peter Green-style guitar. I believe his son re-recorded a better version on his own later.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Black Magic Woman by Green Mac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMGc2m1njFk
British band Green Mac plays a lot of Greeny's tunes :-)
Regards
Old 10-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Another one

Just realised I have this one this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Man-World-Refl.../dp/B00008XRVH
Various well-known artists doing Peter Green stuff. It's probably similar to the before mentioned "Ratelsnake Guitar".
Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just realised I have this one this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Man-World-Refl.../dp/B00008XRVH
Various well-known artists doing Peter Green stuff. It's probably similar to the before mentioned "Ratelsnake Guitar".
So what do you think about it, worth buying?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
So what do you think about it, worth buying?
Judge for yourself, see my dropbox folder
Old 10-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, actually I just listened again. Forget this one if you're a real PG fan. Loads of rubbish.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, actually I just listened again. Forget this one if you're a real PG fan. Loads of rubbish.
you are right I do feel that the best Greeny related cd is "Green And Blues" from B.Marsden....
Mario.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Judge for yourself, see my dropbox folder

Thanks Wouter, In you I trust .... :-)

Last edited by zoork_1; 10-14-2011 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Missed information
Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Oh Well and erm Oh Well

Kenny Wayne Shephard covered Oh Well on his 'Live On' album. Not bad.
Better though was Stan Webb's version in the middle of a rendition of his own 'Poor Boy' from 'Stan the Man Live'. Slightly altered lyrics but enjoyable to listen to with a nice little spoken tribute to Greeny just before he plays it.
BBM also did an electric version of The World Keeps on Turning on the expanded issue of 'Around the Next Dream'. Quite a long version with Gary Moore's (RIP) usual Greeny Lite playing but worth a listen. Moore also covered Stop Messin' Around amongst others, aside from the Blues for Greeny album, and Jumping at Shadows, although not a Greeny original of course.
Ian Parker added his version of Green Manalishi to the end of 'Almost Cut My Hair' from his live album 'Whilst the Wind'. Slightly different take on it. I like it.
As far as my favourite cover goes, I'm afraid I would have to go for the obvious and say Santana's Black Magic Woman. It's probably the only Greeny cover that I listen to fairly regularly. As has already been said, most of the covers don't live up to the originals such was his talent as a musician.
Oh for him to rediscover the art of writing again...
Old 10-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLW View Post
Kenny Wayne Shephard covered Oh Well on his 'Live On' album. Not bad.
Personal taste re KWS' version of "Oh Well" (actually the only cover of the song I just despise; but then I'm not a fan of KWS' in the first place).

My favorite live version: a toss up between the Black Crowes with Jimmy Page...or the 1988 incarnation of Fleetwood Mac (w/Billy Burnette singing and Rick Vito on guitar)

Favorite studio cover: Bob Welch's from His Fleetwood Mac Years & Beyond volume 1, followed closely by Billy Sheehan's version. The only two covers I've found so far that include Part 2.

Other versions I like...a lot are by:
Joe Jackson (studio)
The Rockets (studio)
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (live)

For me, though, nothing tops the original version on Then Play On.

The late reggae star Dennis Brown did a really cool Rasta version of "Black Magic Woman". I really like it.

Last edited by chiliD; 10-17-2011 at 04:35 PM..