User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just got this report from R.Jim Greaves:

Hi Mario,

The gig was excellent last night. The venue was just about full, I only spotted about 5 or 6 empty seats. The sax player (Martin Winning) now seems to be a regular in the band.
Set List was as follows :-
1 Rattlesnake Shake
2 Pretty Woman
3 Ain't Nothing You Can Do
4 Long Grey Mare
5 Steal Your Heart Away
6 Key To The Highway
7 Barefootin'
8 The Stumble
9 Dark End Of The Street
10 Can't Stop Loving My Baby
11 Off The Hook
12 Blues Get Off My Shoulder
13 Oh Well / Albatross
14 The Thrill Is Gone
15 Stranger Blues
Encores
16 Sitting In The Rain (just Peter & Mike Dodds)
17 Black Magic Woman
( I may have missed one from early in the set - the problems of trying to write in the dark!)
Peter's guitar work seemed strong and overall much better than the Splinter Group days. His voice is well past its best but was better than I expected possibly because the band aren't that loud so Peter doesn't have to shout. Mike Dodds took a few vocals too which helps (Barefootin', Off The Hook and Sitting if I remember). Crowd loved it and they were all standing and cheering at the end.
Let's hope they manage to record a gig (properly) or get into a studio and catch Peter while he's playing well.

Cheers for now,

Jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nessun virus nel messaggio in arrivo.
Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
Versione: 9.0.733 / Database dei virus: 271.1.1/2733 - Data di rilascio: 03/09/10 20:33:00
Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

R. Jim Greaves - wasn't he a footballplayer in the sixties?

Ms Moose
Old 03-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
R. Jim Greaves - wasn't he a footballplayer in the sixties?

Ms Moose
No, nothing like that, Jim wrote the Sessionography on the first pressing of
the Peter Green biography and currently writes for Blues In Britain.....
Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
No, nothing like that, Jim wrote the Sessionography on the first pressing of
the Peter Green biography and currently writes for Blues In Britain.....
Oh Well, I got all mixed up there thanks Mario for keeping us up to date. R. Jim Greaves set list and rapport from the gig sounds very good. And I agree it would be great to get a prober recording and film from a concert.

Ms Moose
Old 03-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

The football player was Jimmy Greaves, he played even in Italy, but was often too drunk to play.....

Jimmy Greaves Personal information
Full name James Peter Greaves
Date of birth 20 February 1940 (1940-02-20) (age 70)
Place of birth East Ham, England
Playing position Striker (retired)
Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1957–1961 Chelsea 157 (124)
1961 AC Milan 12 (9)
1961–1970 Tottenham Hotspur 321 (220)
1970–1971 West Ham United 38 (13)
1975–1976 Brentwood Town
1976–1977 Chelmsford City
1977–1979 Barnet 56 (16)
1979–1980 Woodford Town
National team
1959–1967 England 57 (44)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).

James Peter 'Jimmy' Greaves (born 20 February 1940 in East Ham, England) is an English former football player, England's third highest international goalscorer, the highest goalscorer in the history of English top flight football and more recently a television pundit. He is considered to be one of the finest goalscorers of his generation.

Contents [hide]
1 Playing career
1.1 Chelsea, AC Milan, and Spurs
1.2 International career
1.3 West Ham and Barnet
2 Post playing career
3 Honours
4 Statistics
4.1 Club
4.2 International Goals
4.3 Books in collaboration with Norman Giller
5 References
6 External links

Of course this has nothing to do with Peter Green, but I was a footballer...!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Life is a game....

Yes Mario. I knew you used to be a footballer, that's probably why I made the connection

Ms Moose
Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Junior Ledgie

Hi,
I'm new to this list ... just to say that I went to the gig at Farnham on the 8th - first time I've seen Peter Green since his days with John Mayall - and thought it was an excellent gig. His voice blends well with the music he now plays ... and wow, that guitar sound is still as vibrant as ever
Other musicians (Friends) were also great - Martin Winning I have seen several times with Mike Sanchez, and Geraint Watkins I've seen many times with Bill Wyman.
Now I want to go to more of Peter Green and Friends gigs!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmolady View Post
Hi,
I'm new to this list ... just to say that I went to the gig at Farnham on the 8th - first time I've seen Peter Green since his days with John Mayall - and thought it was an excellent gig. His voice blends well with the music he now plays ... and wow, that guitar sound is still as vibrant as ever
Other musicians (Friends) were also great - Martin Winning I have seen several times with Mike Sanchez, and Geraint Watkins I've seen many times with Bill Wyman.
Now I want to go to more of Peter Green and Friends gigs!
Welcome! And thank you for your impressions of the gig. Very cool that you saw Green with Mayall - feel free to share your memories.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Welcome! And thank you for your impressions of the gig. Very cool that you saw Green with Mayall - feel free to share your memories.
I second dino's welcome, desmolady! And I know a lot of us here would love to hear your memories of Peter Green playing with the Bluesbreakers!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I second dino's welcome, desmolady! And I know a lot of us here would love to hear your memories of Peter Green playing with the Bluesbreakers!
I second dino's and sharkfanswellcome: Wellcome to The Ledge! It would be really nice if you shared your memories with us!

Ms Moose
Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Green in Nottingham

Saw peter green and friends last night in nottingham it was amazing.
First of all after seeing him on his first comeback tour back in 1996 I had pretty low expectations (sorry) however after 1 bar of the first track it was plain to see that this was a different peter green and a tighter more sympathetic band than the splinter group.
For the first half hour of the show i had to fight back the tears a bit i felt that moved by it. His singing was incredible really clear and incredibly soulful and showing quite considerable range, this is a real singer! His voice is amazing now, just like lived in but amzing.
I was a bit sceptical of mike dodd prior to seeing the show having seen some of the clips of him bouncing round on youtube, now i get it, he´s awesome has a great charm and u can see the affection he has for peter and vice versa. There´s lots of little jokes between them and great banter. Mike your a saint dude!
The rest of the band is awesome, not into sax much but i see it takes a bit of pressure off peter taking all the solos which he didnt seem to care so much for, and makes the overal sound of the band polished.
Keyboard player is a real star too amazingly tasteful playing awesome!
Was the best gig i´ve seen after jimmy smith .
Felt though that the best tracks peter performed where the ones he didnt write. He obviously knows what fits his voice best.
Awesome show.
Peter looks very happy

Last edited by greenmanastrat; 03-13-2010 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 03-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmanastrat View Post
Saw better peter green and friends last night in nottingham it was amazing.
First of all after seeing him on his first comeback tour back in 1996 I had pretty low expectations (sorry) however after 1 bar of the first track it was plain to see that this was a different peter green and a tighter more sympathetic band than the splinter group.
For the first half hour of the show i had to fight back the tears a bit i felt that moved by it. His singing was incredible really clear and incredibly soulful and showing quite considerable range, this is a real singer! His voice is amazing now, just like lived in but amzing.
I was a bit sceptical of mike dodd prior to seeing the show having seen some of the clips of him bouncing round on youtube, now i get it, he´s awesome has a great charm and u can see the affection he has for peter and vice versa. There´s lots of little jokes between them and great banter. Mike your a saint dude!
The rest of the band is awesome, not into sax much but i see it takes a bit of pressure off peter taking all the solos which he didnt seem to care so much for, and makes the overal sound of the band polished.
Keyboard player is a real star too amazingly tasteful playing awesome!
Was the best gig i´ve seen after jimmy smith .
Felt though that the best tracks peter performed where the ones he didnt write. He obviously knows what fits his voice best.
Awesome show.
Peter looks very happy
Glad to see that you enjoyed the gig!

What about Jet Martin as the opening act?

Mario.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Glad to see that you enjoyed the gig!

What about Jet Martin as the opening act?

Mario.
Hmmm well he seems like a great guy, but not really upto professional musician standard, sorry.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Ledgie

Default From Nottingham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S95gNHJLcTQ

Beautiful

Last edited by Norton; 03-13-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Old 03-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Herald Expresshttp://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/fe...l/article.html

Blues master Peter headlines at Ashburton
Friday, March 12, 2010, 09:16

ONE of the best-known names in British rock music will be on stage at a South Devon festival in May.

Peter Green (pictured) , the founder of Fleetwood Mac, will headline the Ashburton Blues Festival on Saturday, May 29.

Green, who wrote such classics as Albatross, Black Magic Woman, Oh Well and Man of the World, was described by American star BB King as 'the only one who gave me the cold sweats'.

A self-taught guitarist, Green replaced Eric Clapton in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers at the age of 20, then in 1967 left to form Fleetwood Mac.

He left the band and struggled with his health for many years, before picking up a guitar again in the late 1990s and appearing with The Splinter Group.

In 2004 he quit the band, but last year began touring again as Peter Green and Friends, performing to sell-out audiences and critical acclaim.

Ashburton Blues Festival spokesman Michael Cranmer said: "This is a chance to see a true blues master at the height of his powers.

"To have someone of Peter's stature and importance appearing at the Ashburton Blues Festival is a major coup, and reinforces the festival's reputation as 'The Uniquest Little Blues Festival in the World'.

The festival will be based at Ashburton Town Hall on May 28, 29 and 30.
Other headliners are Mike Sanchez and his band and Big Mac's Wholly Soul Band.
Support acts include Thomas Ford and the Dirty Harmonys; John Whitehill; Chicago Red; Tom Ball and Kenny Sultan; Stompin' Dave's Band; Denny Ilett and Andy Williamson; SmokeStack; Mike Markey and Nick Jones and The King Roosters.
For details go to www.ashburtonbluesfestival.com