Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting the link -

for someone who was always more reserved concerning the second "comeback" period, i.e. with The Splinter Group, I have to say that I was stunned by the beauty of 'Albatross'

What a great performance - this number has always held tremendous importance to Green, they played at almost every show from mid-1969 until his leaving, and he often did a little intro before playing it attempting to convey to the audience just what it meant to him.

What I found so great with this performance is that he was able to rework the arrangement and for me, make it more powerful - it now has a more muscular feel, the number soars higher and glides more effortlessly than the earlier versions - even those with the Splinter Group -

The difference is he is no longer attempting to imitate what once was - he is creating something new - the same as he did when he covered an old blues standard in his days with Fleetwood Mac - the idea was not to duplicate the song, but to put his own stamp on it, without losing what made the original worth covering to begin with -

A truly inspired performance

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 06-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up

Fabulous, its seems a uninanmous verdict that Peter is in fine shape and enjoying his playing. We have video evidence to support this. Maybe the reviewer of the concert is a bit hard of hearing or something and was really judging the performance on the basis that Peter is sitting down dont really get where they´re comin from.
Hope he comes to spain
Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post

Ms Moose
thanks to all, especially to dansven for the youtube links. oh pretty woman, his best albert k. ever. by far. so so much better than born under a bad sign from little dreamer. and oh well. geez i thought i'd never see the day.

comeback number 3! what about a modest live recording! geraint watkins! god bless mike dodd. he may not be an ace player but he loves peter green as much as we do.

anyone still think this is just a bar band? zero
Old 06-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And then there is also KeepVideo:
http://keepvid.com/
Enter the link, then copy the page to your desktop. That way you can always retrieve the program that enables you to save videos to your hard disk. You may need extra software to convert to AVI or mpg files.
Good luck.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
Oh yes - and great organ solo on "Sweet Marie".

I can't recall ever hearing Peter play on a Bob Dylan song before.... That's definitely a first!!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I can't recall ever hearing Peter play on a Bob Dylan song before.... That's definitely a first!!
No, the same band did Dylan's "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You" earlier this year. Again, Mike Dodd on vocals.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Ledgie

Default Frankfurt June 15, 2009, Batschkapp

Hi everybody,

yesterday I have been to the Frankfurt gig. As my only comparison would be the Splinter Group in spring 2003 there wer some surprises, most of them positive I have to say.

The gig took place in an old rock club with a capacity of may be 300 people. It was filled with about 200. A nameless (nobody introduced them) power trio played some covers in Hendrix, Cream style as warm up.

When Peter and the band entered the stage I first was surprised how good his voice sounded. Clear but raher low in the mix. No comparison to the mumbling of the Splinter gig. Towards the end of the concert, however, he got some problems with the voice which "broke" from time to time. The sound was good, every instrument could be clearly heard, although the keyboards wer a bit high and voice and rhythm guitar a bit low in the mix. Most of the concert Peter played a beautiful guitar looking like a Les Paul (Mike Dodd asked him "where did you get this guitar from?" and Greenie answered dryly: "From a guitar shop") . The playing was controlled, very concentrated and just beautiful, slightly jazzy tone... He really played lead and all the solos. And he never disappeared musically for some time unlike in the Splinter days.

I did not make notes as I wanted to enjoy the music so I can not provide a complete set list, but the following songs were played:

Blues don't change
Key to the highway
Sweet Marie (Dylan)
Long grey mare
Sitting in the rain (Mayall)
Oh well, morphing into Albatross
Stranger blues
Black magic woman
The thrill is gone
Rainy night in Georgia
The stumble

The middle section contained some songs I could not recognize, ranging from roots-rock to even gospel (not my favourites but may be my taste is too one-dimensional). Sitting in the rain (the old Mayall single with Green, McVie and Dunbar from 66) was a surprise. The voice fit very well to the song. Also Oh well plus Albatross worked very well. Oh well sounded very different than in the old days. Danny Kirwan's wild soloing is missing and Peter plays much more controlled. The nicest surprise was The Stumble as the final encore as I already missed this song.

The band played really well and tight. Mike Dodd continued to animate the audience (and Peter) but it was OK. He was the only one moving on stage, the others just playing their instruments. The visual impression would have been too static without that. The only annoying thing was that the sound man tried to crank up the volume during Stranger Blues destroying the good ballance of sound and producing some feed back.

We and I think most of the audience went home happy after more than one and a half hour of Greeny music even if the middle part of the set was a bit quiet.

On our way to the subway station we heard a young guy who also just left the club answering to some girls "I have just been to a 60 plus party!". No, it was not really like this. Maximum 50 plus...

Greetings from Germany
Roland
Old 06-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you so much for posting this, RoJo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoJo View Post
Sitting in the rain (the old Mayall single with Green, McVie and Dunbar from 66) was a surprise. The voice fit very well to the song.
Wow!! "Sitting In The Rain"?!?!
I can imagine it must have been cool. It was also great to see "Long Grey Mare" appear at the concerts in February.

Do you know who's the singer on "Key To The Highway"?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi everybody,

When Peter and the band entered the stage I first was surprised how good his voice sounded. Clear but raher low in the mix. No comparison to the mumbling of the Splinter gig.
Roland
I noticed that also on the videos posted, he seems to have gotten more range back into his voice, its sounding awesome from what i can tell.

I have listened to oh pretty woman a few times now and im really happy, love the way he gets inside the groove on his solo, its vintage peter green and its why hes the best british blues guitar player ever( eric) pure emotion so natural!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And here are some clips from Belgium...

The Stumble and The Thrill Is Gone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS9g7O9rn5U

Stranger Blues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KSxj...eature=related
Old 06-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for spotting those new YouTube clips, dansven. Too bad they're so short and incomplete!

Anyone know the date & venue that these are from?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Thanks for spotting those new YouTube clips, dansven. Too bad they're so short and incomplete!

Anyone know the date & venue that these are from?
From the sign at the back of the stage (that shows a bit now and then) it seems to be from the 'Spirit of 66 'show in Veviers, Belgium, which was on the 27th of february.

Yes - thank you very much for spotting the YouTube clips!

I wonder if the band is making any film from the tour(s) - so that better quality will be available at a later date.

Ms Moose
Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the ID on the location and date for those clips, Ms Moose!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post

Do you know who's the singer on "Key To The Highway"?
I think it was Peter himself. I still have the "walking is too slow.." line in the back of my memory with Peters voice.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Thanks RoJo

Quote:
I think it was Peter himself. I still have the "walking is too slow.." line in the back of my memory with Peters voice.
Thank you RoJo, for your personal impressions from the Frankfurt concert. I was at the concert in Amsterdam in february, and I recognize a lot from your description. Also this undefined atmosphere or mood (stemmung?) of well-wishing or even love from the audience.

An absolutely new thing is Peter Green chatting and even smiling He seems relaxed and not worried about "mistakes".

Also it seems like some numbers are better than others for his voice now a days....maybe a three months tour would get the voice in shape...or make it disappear all together.....

Ms Moose