The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You look at how the Splinter Group disintegrated after Peter left them, and think how easy it would have been for the same thing to have happened to Fleetwood Mac 35 years ago.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi
....what are middle aged guys going to do with their lives without Greeny to give them credibility....
You are spot-on with this observation, Kyoshi. As much as Peter leaned on the other members of SG to take some of the spotlight off of him, their very existence depended entirely on Peter's presence in the group. You could argue that at the beginning, FM was the same way, but by the time Peter left in 1970 the rest of the band had grown and developed musically to the point where they could survive without him. To me, SG never showed any real musical growth or development so it's no surprise that the band fell apart without Peter.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
Well, it's not a rumour, I read it in a Ledge post:

Mario
09-03-2004, 12:16 PM

"So, please keep on spreading the truth, because it seems that NW's dirty tricks and badmouthing will continue"

But what do i know?
/dino

The history of all this over the years says that rumours and 'truths' will always abound. I spose if its in a ledge post it must be the truth then ?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:22 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
You look at how the Splinter Group disintegrated after Peter left them, and think how easy it would have been for the same thing to have happened to Fleetwood Mac 35 years ago.....

You are spot-on with this observation, Kyoshi. As much as Peter leaned on the other members of SG to take some of the spotlight off of him, their very existence depended entirely on Peter's presence in the group. You could argue that at the beginning, FM was the same way, but by the time Peter left in 1970 the rest of the band had grown and developed musically to the point where they could survive without him. To me, SG never showed any real musical growth or development so it's no surprise that the band fell apart without Peter.

And you're spot on yourself Sharkfan. We al apreciate that Peter needed SG as much as they needed him, but for different reasons. We all know that Peter is a genius, but an ill genius. We al know the group were OK musicians but not up to his standard. Thats OK with me as it was with all of them. Its probably an unfair comparison but if you take like for like illnesses and compare Peter to Brian Wilson you can see that Brian travels the road with a group of musicians who are, no doubt, delighted to be playing with him. Same goes for splinter and Greeny. But theres always an endgame and unfortunately because of his illness Peter is in the control of the court, which incidentally it was Watson who placed him in their care in the first place, which holds complete sway, and their view was that he was best out of splinter, gawd knows why, but there it is. Its done. People can discuss around and around with so called insider info and draw a zillion conclusions, but there's only one truth.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I think the PGSG ended up being more work than Peter bargained for in the beginning. Once that first album came out, it was "record, tour, record, tour" almost endlessly until Peter bailed out. Nigel (I'm assuming) was the "evil task-master" and workaholic of the band. I think Peter just needed a break from the constant working environment.

Just spottd your note. Yes, it was tour, record, tour, record and yes perhaps Watson ws the evil taskmaster, but that is business. Everyone benefitted and the court was happy that Greeny was making good money, more than hed made for years and it is their lawful duty to care for his money, so what weve got is NW pushing the band (and why not ? its business and anyone would do the same) and pushing bookers and promoters and record companies. No one else in the band would do it and the court wouldnt even get involved with that sort of thing - running a business. Petger didnt bail out, he was pulled out by the court. he was really looking forward to the US tour that was lined up just before he was pulled, although it was possible he had had enough and wanted a change. Anyway from what Ive read he's appy so thats fine.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The history of all this over the years says that rumours and 'truths' will always abound. I spose if its in a ledge post it must be the truth then ?
If it's from Mario, it's true.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My favorite point today

For as much **** as Mick Fleetwood takes on this board, we should never forget that he pretty much has held Fleetwood Mac together for nearly forty years, a task for which he should be commended. Think of ALL the personalities that have graced this band and all the BS that went along with it. That couldn't have been easy.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
... incidentally it was Watson who placed him in their care in the first place...
great to have you back posting kyoshi.

i had forgotten this. this is a telling thing about nigel watson. in this it's clear that he had peter's interests in mind. and they were close friends. without nigel i'd have never seen pete play live. and god only knows where pete would be now without nigel and experience in the splinter group. remember what pete said after he started playing out with splinter, 'I'll never stop playing again". we have a lot to thank nigel for. it is really very sad for everyone involved.

but life goes on. the splinter group were working pros before they joined and since. pete stroud has been playing with papa george and is now touring with kim simmonds. roger cotton has his studio (http://www.roundelstudios.co.uk) and has since worked with lots of people, alan glen, dave walker. i don't know where larry or nigel are. well i hope.

zero
Old 06-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Larry played with Joe Jackson for years BEFORE his time with the PGSG. He's probably caught on with SOMEBODY at this point. He's WAY too good of a drummer to go unemployed.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

Please

W A R N I N G!!!!!

I hate to write this, but please stop to post about Peter's Courte Case and the current litigation.

I know for sure that PGO checks this forum, and this kind of posting just causes problems!

It's a delicate legal stuff, so please understand the situation!!

Thanks,

Mario.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Ledgie

PGO? Do you mean Greeny, or somebody else?

Of course nobody wants do make things worse for Peter! I sure hopes this court thing will work out the best possible way for Peter.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

No sorry,

PGO are the so-called government minders!

Mario.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Or maybe the Splinter Group could get a female blues keyboardist who writes really catchy pop tunes, like Fleetwood Mac did...{hint, hint}...then get a new guitarist/songwriter/lead singer every 18 months for three or four years and then sign on a married (or pseudo-married) couple from California to take up to the top of the charts for a few years.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
PGO are the so-called government minders!
Is it short for Public Guardian Organization?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Is it short for Public Guardian Organization?
hi smd - public guardian office

http://www.guardianship.gov.uk/about/aboutthepgo.htm

mario - i'm very sorry. it didn't occur to me that posts to the forum could cause a problem for peter.

zero
Old 06-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
hi smd - public guardian office
Hey, I was close!

THE Stephen Hopkins