User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I just don't get how fans of a line-up that came together seven years after the band formed could blast an album as not really being Fleetwood Mac when it still had the three core members it had had since 1970. They often use sales to justify that view, as if Buckingham and Nicks were setting the world on fire with their solo albums.
Nobody faults FM for continuing after S&L dropped out. However, just because one is a Fleetwood Mac fan does not mean he/she must blindly accept whatever dubious choices Mick Fleetwood makes in terms of band personnel and musical direction. I would have been intrigued by a drastically different sound ala the 1975 white album with a couple of charismatic, interesting singer/songwriters with an original point of view. Instead, what we ended up with is a lineup of extremely bland singers with mediocre, unoriginal songs + Christine, who singularly managed to salvage Time into a decent 5-song EP. The "new" sound being peddled on Time, a much watered-down version of Behind the Mask, lacked any sparkle as much as it lacked any grit. Although Christine had a couple of great moments, even her songs were not up to par.

In hindsight, I don't know who was more woefully miscast- Dave or Bekka. Indeed, the choice of Bekka was a pretty cynical/obvious move by Mick. Oh, sure, to this day he will attest on a stack of bibles that she was enlisted due to her exquisite voice and songwriting ability, blah blah blah. But at the end of the day, she basically fit the bill as the hot chick singer with the sultry voice, i.e., Stevie's replacement. Mick had the opportunity to do something truly ballsy and go against type, but he didn't. I don't think "chiffonheads" would have been so up in arms about Bekka if Mick would have approached this role in the band in a fresh way that sidestepped the issue of whether or not Stevie was being replaced. For example, it would have been interesting if Mick had enlisted someone like Courtney Love, whose cover of "Gold Dust Woman" was so fiery and original, that one would tend not to draw parallels with Stevie. With Bekka and her tepid, over-sung, gutless version of GDW, they were practically begging to raise the dander of the chiffonhead masses.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

As for the rest, I thought it was pretty clear we were talking about the post-BTM, pre-Dance era, which relegates your other comments to the Straw Man. Bottom line NOBODY in Fleetwood Mac was doing well apart.

OOTC bombed.
Street Angel bombed.
Time bombed.

ALL FIVE of them NEEDED the reunion.
I was 3 sheets to the wind on the Napa valley cab which I guess is kind of equivalent to the Straw Man.I am very well aware of how low the stock of FM and it's members had fallen in the early /mid 1990s when even a great album like OOTC that made many critic's year end best of list bombed but this doesn't change the fact that like another poster just stated with the exception of some of Christine's songs Time really sucked.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
+ Christine, who singularly managed to salvage Time into a decent 5-song EP.
Very nice.

Michele
Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think everyone that was or still with FM should get noticed in the RRHOF.

They all worked their a$$' s off with the band and solo and deserve to get noticed with the RRHOF.

They got to stop playing games and stop electing artists that has nothing to do with rock and roll.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
When that derogatory term stops being used.
Don't fret ..it is more than likely that in 100 years from now when FM and the rest of us are gone that the only thing the band will be remembered for is an acoustic deep cut from side two of the first album of the dreaded "Rumours" lineup"..break out the chiffon platforms and tamborine.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
When will Chiffon-heads realize that there was never a tour in support of "Time", and that ALL of the shows Fleetwood Mac did with Bramlett and Mason were BEFORE the album even came out? Why does it matter what tour the band's on if they're not supporting a new record?
I am a "chiffonhead" and was one of the few chiffonheads on this board who went to see the Time lineup in concert. I can't say I agree entirely with your summation that the band didn't tour in support of Time. The band mentioned the upcoming album & it's approximate release date several times during my Raleigh, NC show. There's no doubt in my mind the Time tour was a vehicle to introduce the new lineup, and prime the pump for sales when the new album dropped. I think they knew that with the big change in personnel, they HAD to introduce the world to the new Fleetwood Mac with familiar material before dropping an album with such different personnel. Which is exactly what they did; they made sure it was known this was a new chapter of Fleetwood Mac, and to buy their upcoming album.

Something that pre Rumours fans seem to have a hard time reconciling is that by the mid 1990s, the definition of Fleetwood Mac was no longer fluid like it was during the early 1970s. The band had been around for nearly 3 decades at that point, and the Rumours lineup was the longest lived incarnation. The fact the Rumours album outsold every other Mac album combined to this day also helped cement in the public's mind who Fleetwood Mac was. To the general public, drummers, bass players, etc are interchangeable. It's the singer/songwriters who define a band. Just look at bands like Heart & Blondie. The only thing they have in common with their earlier incarnations are their lead singers. By replacing Lindsey & Stevie, the Time lineup never had a chance. They were long before established as being the core of the band, despite Mick & John being it's namesakes. You can't even say Mick & John were the founders of Fleetwood Mac... that distinction goes to Peter Green, who was little known to Americans, and had exited the band some 25 years before the Time era commenced.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I forget how we got here, moving from a discussion about The Bob Welch RRHOF snub to a critique of Time and "chiffon heads" but I suppose in the world of Fleetwood Mac all is relevant at all times.

I thought Bekka was an intriguing choice, not a mistake or miscalculation. She sang great live and on the album and worked well with Billy.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 04-02-2013 at 03:37 PM..
Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I think everyone that was or still with FM should get noticed in the RRHOF.

They all worked their a$$' s off with the band and solo and deserve to get noticed with the RRHOF.
That's something I definitely agree with!!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:57 PM

I am disgusted that Bob was left out. It will never sit well with me.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I am disgusted that Bob was left out. It will never sit well with me.
Agreed..he really played an important role during that tranistional time and produced some great music as well.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Agreed..he really played an important role during that tranistional time and produced some great music as well.
The live versions of Bermuda Triangle alone merit inclusion in RRHOF. There is nothing else in rock quite like it. The whole band worked together to make something really magical there-- and his long spoken litany in the middle is epic.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
If I were you I would contact Christine and ask her if it's all true.
Yep. I agree. That is one way to sort it.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I couldn't care less who the so-called hall of fame includes or doesn't. I doubt very much Christine or any other band member could dictate who it does or doesn't honor. Bob Welch's music lives on positively after him regardless. How about going and enjoying some right now?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Becca

Becca is and was an amazing singer and a huge talent. I love her!

Bob earned being in the Hall of Fame and I still will fight for that because he cared about it and was so hurt by what Christine did and Mick went along with. It was just flat out wrong.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gee, Christine must have such a vindictive and unforgiving streak... No wonder Stevie was so intimidated by her. Kinda cheeky when you think about it - she, Mick and John rip Bob off regarding royalties, then she becomes offended when he claims what was rightfully his in the first place, resulting in him then being denied something else to which he should have been entitled...