User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
That was what I noticed first: No piano! Calumny was the only song with piano, right? I think that is what people expect from her, since the piano is what she is associated with. Hey, that's what I was expecting from her, too. I don't think this is a terrible album, but nothing to get totally excited about... I guess it all comes down to personal taste.
maybe she didnt want to do what was totally expected from her? although its still all very christiney, calumny is probably the closest, i think
Old 11-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySongbird
maybe she didnt want to do what was totally expected from her? although its still all very christiney, calumny is probably the closest, i think
Hmm... Yeah, that could've been it. Christine doesn't really seem like the type of person to venture out of the little style she's carved out for herself, but you never know. She does have a fun, spunky side that she shows more on the Legendary Christine Perfect and some of the songs from the self-titled album. Maybe that's what she was going for here? If that's the case, I think she might've done better by balancing it out a bit more with some lovely piano ballads like Calumny, since, like I said, that's what people recognize as her prime talent.

Last edited by goldustsongbird; 11-21-2005 at 06:50 PM..
Old 11-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think there are only a few songs that sound very polished. Calumny, Northern Star, and Friend spring to mind.
Definitely. I intended homemade more as repetitive and uninspired, done by a not very skilled producer. Acoustic friend, for example was much more poignant, IMO.

Quote:
In terms of lyrics, I think some of them border on being overly cheesy... But then again, I have to say, most of her songs do. I don't think she'd object to that statement either, as she's said she's a "pretty basic songwriter". And she is. She's never been very prolific, with the exception of songs like Songbird, and Show Me a Smile. I think, though her songs are very simple (a style that I believe comes from her background in jazz), it's her delivery that really makes them what they are. Some songs just have to be sung by the right person.
I love her songwriting and simple style, but with some great songs (I return to Friend that's one of my all time favourite of hers or Calumny, Sweet Revenge, Bad Journey, You Are) there were some fillers.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 11-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
Definitely. I intended homemade more as repetitive and uninspired, done by a not very skilled producer. Acoustic friend, for example was much more poignant, IMO.

I love her songwriting and simple style, but with some great songs (I return to Friend that's one of my all time favourite of hers or Calumny, Sweet Revenge, Bad Journey, You Are) there were some fillers.

Romy
Bad Journey? It doesn't sit well with me. Sounds like she's trying too hard to return to her roots, with that faux-jazz. I liked the acoustic version of Friend. The album version is good, too. I really enjoy the song itself. Calumny is the standout track for me. I could listen to that one forever!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wasn't going to comment on this thread since it was started by a person who doesn't care for Christine McVie anyway. But a few of the die-hard Christine fans have posted, so I will too. I like all three of her solo albums, but In The Meantime is my favorite. I LOVE it! There is a comfort, an intimacy to it that I love. The production is a bit simplistic. So what? There is such a thing as being over-produced, too. That can turn me off. She is a simple, basic love song writer...no pretense or crap. That's what she did here. That's what I was expecting. What I didn't expect was how fantastic her voice still is. It's better now than it was 20-30 years ago, which is ridiculous. Nobody's voice gets better as they age. Her voice is the focal point of the album, in my opinion.

By the way, Christine is not a solo artist. She would be the first to say this. She made her first album because her then manager pushed her into it. She made her 1984 album & ITM purely for fun. It's that simple.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
What I didn't expect was how fantastic her voice still is. It's better now than it was 20-30 years ago, which is ridiculous. Nobody's voice gets better as they age. Her voice is the focal point of the album, in my opinion.
Everything else aside, I totally agree: her voice is beautiful. I've likened it to a fine wine... Much like Chris herself. She sounds great.

There is such a thing as over-produced, but there's also the flipside: being underproduced. Not that ITM was, I just think it could use a bit of tweaking here and there. In the little review I wrote down, I summed it up as an album to listen to on a rainy day, since it is a *cozy* sort of album.

Quote:
She made her first album because her then manager pushed her into it. She made her 1984 album & ITM purely for fun. It's that simple.
Well... Don't assume that everyone knew those facts about how the albums came to be. I didn't even know that was the reasons why she did the Christine Perfect and the '84 records. ITM, I knew was something she said was "totally unexpected".

FWIW I don't even recognize the person who started this topic, so I had no idea whether or not they were a McVie fan.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
As for Mick and John I didn't even buy the albums!
That's too bad. "The Visitor," "I'm Not Me," and "Gotta Band" were actually quite good. They're definately among my favorite solo projects.

Admittedly, "Shakin' The Cage" hasn't aged so well, and I really haven't listened to "Something Big" much. For that matter, I really haven't listened to too much of the newer stuff (TISL, SYW, ITM, "Something Big") as much as the older stuff. I'm getting lazy.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I wasn't going to comment on this thread since it was started by a person who doesn't care for Christine McVie anyway.
Soooooo, the opinions held by the person who started this thread are somehow less valid than the opinions held by the fans who actively participate in this forum? My word, even the horse I ride upon isn't that high.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:37 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Soooooo, the opinions held by the person who started this thread are somehow less valid than the opinions held by the fans who actively participate in this forum? My word, even the horse I ride upon isn't that high.
you made kishka out of your horse
Old 11-22-2005, 03:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I don't intend to speak for Macfan57, but, to me(and it's only my guess as to what she was inferring), that lately, a few of the NON-regulars are coming here looking for an argument/bashing. I, for one, am not interested.

Are things that sloooow in Stevieland?
Old 11-22-2005, 03:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Are things that sloooow in Stevieland?
dontlookdown is a Lindsey fan. He's not from Stevieland.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lets be honest here - ITMT is exceptionally boring - and has no stand out tracks apart from "You Are" - the album is average at best.

Her 1984 album is a tad better, but still it just showed me that too much of Christine is not a good thing, things get repetitve way to quickly.

And yes, i am a huge Christine fan, almost as much as i am a stevie fan. but where stevie is a exciting performer and artist, christine is not. Back in the day she was brilliant, but now in the 2000's, stevie can still bring out an almost brilliant album (TISL), but christine failed miserably with ITMT

Im sorry if i offended any hardcore CM fans, but i thought a new members view on this might be insightfull
Old 11-22-2005, 03:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As insightful as a colonoscopy! Lessee, opinions are like.......what is it again?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
As insightful as a colonoscopy! Lessee, opinions are like.......what is it again?
u are the best!
Old 11-22-2005, 04:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
u are the best!
You're back eh? So where's Curtiss's apology?