Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Any Turner Model 1 owners?

I'm almost definitely going to get myself a Rick Turner Model 1 to join my RS6 but there are so many variations on that it is hard to know what is "needed".

For example, is there a big benefit to getting the piezo model to blend with the humbucker? The samples I found online sound wonderful, but the humbucker sounds pretty versatile already

Any notes any owners can give on any aspect of the guitar would be really appreciated
Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

I had Rick personally make me one last year. It's a featherweight with the 1-CLB electronics and the added Piezo.

Beautiful instrument but very unique and will do odd things to your rig. I have a completely new backline just to find good sounds with it, without sounding "Lindsey". I use it on stage for a few songs only. Plays like an acoustic, feels like nothing you've ever played, and sounds just freaking weird (in a good way).

Anything specific you'd like to know?
Old 06-20-2017, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very cool!

Do you find that you use the Piezo a lot and, if so, how? Is it good for "acoustic" tones or is it more fun to blend it in and turn up the gain?

How long did it take for you to get it directly from Rick? There is a shop in London selling M1s that look good but don't have any with the Piezo.

I'm considering going with a Special model instead of the standard because I like the satin finish and it will be more of a studio instrument but I'm torn because the gloss finish looks wonderful as well.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

It really depends on what you want to do with it.

The piezo I find is the most interesting piece of the guitar for me, as you can unlock so many unique sounds just by blending it. Really cuts through when added. The EQ is also cool for finding a unique sound. Would highly recommend the addition of the piezo. It's not an acoustic sound per se, but sounds more like Rick's signature RS acoustic to my ears.

I don't really use it in the studio much unless I'm looking for it's particular sound. Stage is a different story; it's awesome to solo with and add a distinctive amount of color in your style.

Took about 4 months or so to build and ship. Rick and his team are awesome. If you're going to drop this much money on an instrument that you might have for the rest of your life, why not get exactly what you want? That's why I spent the extra and went with a custom order for me. No regrets!

If you'd like to hear some of the sounds I've been exploring with it, here is a link to an unreleased track (management please don't kill me!) from our upcoming EP. This is one of the few songs (least pop sounding) on the record where I used the M1 a lot. You can hear the piezo blend in some of the atmosphere and during the outtro at the end. Let me know if I can answer any other questions! Hope you get one!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

OK, so it sounds like it's worth forking out for the piezo then.

4 months doesn't seem bad to wait for something like this. I agree that it is probably worth going for a custom one. I just need to justify the spending to myself...

There is no link in your message, but I'd love to hear what you've done with it
Old 06-21-2017, 08:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
OK, so it sounds like it's worth forking out for the piezo then.

4 months doesn't seem bad to wait for something like this. I agree that it is probably worth going for a custom one. I just need to justify the spending to myself...

There is no link in your message, but I'd love to hear what you've done with it
Sorry about that... it's not our best song on our upcoming EP, but I used the M1 a lot on this track:

Last edited by fleetwoodguy79; 06-25-2017 at 10:38 AM..
Old 06-26-2017, 04:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks! I listened to the track the other day and enjoyed it. Based on your advice I think I'll probably go for the piezo model
Old 06-26-2017, 08:31 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I'm on my 3rd Model 1 at the moment. They are great guitars, in their own way, though I have to say I've not been a fan of the necks on any of them.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
Thanks! I listened to the track the other day and enjoyed it. Based on your advice I think I'll probably go for the piezo model
I don't think you'll regret it! Keep us posted on your progress!

And thanks for the comment on the track, can't wait to share the rest of the album with you! The Turner is on a few other tracks.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I'm on my 3rd Model 1 at the moment. They are great guitars, in their own way, though I have to say I've not been a fan of the necks on any of them.
Why is that out of curiosity? The neck is definitely unique and the frets are very defined. Plays much like a Gibson Acoustic to me. My go-to is always a Les Paul and I've found that I can play much faster and more freely with it. Especially the new 2017 models with the tapered neck.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Supporting Ledgie

^ The necks are just more chunky than I'd like. My favourite neck thus far is the slim tapered 1960s style neck(s) on the Les Pauls they are doing these days. The Turner neck to me doesn't quite lend itself to fast picking. It's all personal preference ya know? Depends on the shape of your hands and fingers and all that stuff, but ultimately it's about what feels right. I suppose I should thank the Turner neck for making me "work for it" a bit more.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodguy79 View Post
I don't think you'll regret it! Keep us posted on your progress!

And thanks for the comment on the track, can't wait to share the rest of the album with you! The Turner is on a few other tracks.
I've ordered a Model 1-CP. Thought that for the extra few hundred I might as well get the piezo rather than regret it in the future!
Old 07-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Supporting Ledgie

^Nice one. I never ordered the piezo model simply because, cosmetically, I didn't like the other control knob near the top of the body! LOL
Old 07-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That was honestly a consideration! I just hate thinking I'm missing out on some versatility, not that the piezo-less version seems to lack any!
Old 07-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Yeah I think I looked into a bit, but realized I could still get Lindsey's general tone without it. When do you take delivery of it?