Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
As always, I need a beat...
Oh Daddy is in the same category as Storms, Beautiful Child, and Warm Ways. F*cking Snoozeville!

One thing I can say for Lindsey, he never did any funeral dirges!
It does have a beat but its not a fast beat. I've also heard you say you don't like when Lindsey rocks. So I guess you are middle of the road with Dreams. It has a beat. A heartbeat that drives you mad. In the stillness of remembering what you had.....and what you lost. When Oh Daddy washes you clean, you'll know.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to disagree with Homer and others about some of the slower simpler songs. Not many people mention the amazing Crystal which works because of the simpler arrangement focusing on the vocals and timeless lyrics. Oh Daddy, especially earlier arrangements with more Stevie backing vocals, make this song shine. Storms is often referred to as one of Stevie's best moments, and it is made all the better due to the subtle arrangement. These are all some of the bands best moments.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
I have to disagree with Homer and others about some of the slower simpler songs. Not many people mention the amazing Crystal which works because of the simpler arrangement focusing on the vocals and timeless lyrics. Oh Daddy, especially earlier arrangements with more Stevie backing vocals, make this song shine. Storms is often referred to as one of Stevie's best moments, and it is made all the better due to the subtle arrangement. These are all some of the bands best moments.
Homer and Janet Jackson walk up to a salad bar...……..

GIMMIE A BEET

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-05-2020 at 11:33 AM..
Old 06-05-2020, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
It does have a beat but its not a fast beat. I've also heard you say you don't like when Lindsey rocks. So I guess you are middle of the road with Dreams. It has a beat. A heartbeat that drives you mad. In the stillness of remembering what you had.....and what you lost. When Oh Daddy washes you clean, you'll know.
I NEVER said I hate it when Lindsey rocks.

I SAID THAT I HATE THE SONG COME. Because it sucks.

Dreams is (WAS) fine. It's just worn out.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Homer and Janet Jackson walk up to a salad bar...……..

GIMMIE A BEET
I'd have a lot easier time mocking Michael Jackson, tbh...He He!
Old 06-06-2020, 03:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Considering Stevie had just come off a #1 Platinum album they sure don't like using her on Mirage... 3 songs and 1 backing vocal.

Mirage:

Straight Back - what a vocal. Amazing song. Harmonies. Everything. Should've been a Bond theme.
That's Alright - love the country tinge, great vocal.
Hold Me - catchy, light, pop. Wish Stevie was on it.
Gypsy - obviously a great song, I prefer the Dance version as I find Stevie's studio vocal, especially at the beginning of the song, quite weak.
Love In Store - love the backing vocals. How great to have the 3 of them together.
Eyes of the World - great live and a lot of fun.
Can't Go Back - honestly don't mind this, but Stevie and Christine could easily have done the 'Can't Go Back' backing vocals.
Wish You Were Here - piano at the start sounds like Silver Springs. Nice song.
Book of Love - not a bad song, again, backing vocals could've been done by the ladies.
Only Over You - not unpleasant but the barrel being lightly scraped here.
Oh Diane - approaching terrible. Slightly catchy.
Empire State - terrible.

Lindsey really didn't deliver in terms of songs on this album. But he was still aloud to stop anyone else from singing on them.

Oh Daddy is some of the best music Fleetwood Mac have ever recorded.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

When I bought Mirage in 1983 (I was late to the party), Only Over You was one of my least favorite songs. I thought it was too wishy washy. I remember playing the album (millennials look it up) and my mother hearing the song and said "What a beautiful song." That surprised me because my mother really never commented on any music I played before. I only began to appreciate Only Over You during the last 15 years. Its one of the most under-rated songs of the Mac. Its such a dreamy love song. But Lindsey's hypnotic jam towards the end and his guitar picking where the band plays around eachother makes me fall out of my chair.
How did I not like this before, I don't know. Sometimes the greatest works of art takes you a bit longer to appreciate their brilliance.
IMHO Only Over You is the Oh Daddy of Mirage.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How did I not like this before, I don't know. Sometimes the greatest works of art takes you a bit longer to appreciate their brilliance.
IMHO Only Over You is the Oh Daddy of Mirage.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way about Only Over You. It’s always been my least favorite song on Mirage. I have recently appreciated the brilliance of the track mostly due to the alternative version from the Mirage box set.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post

I feel the same way about Only Over You. It’s always been my least favorite song on Mirage. I have recently appreciated the brilliance of the track mostly due to the alternative version from the Mirage box set.[/QUOTE]

I know. I have always hated songs where the vocal starts right away. So I guess I never gave the song a chance. But good Lord its one of Chris's biggest gems. We hear her compassionately tell a guy how much she is out of her mind about him yet reminding him she's not a fool. We hear Chris play keyboards and synthesizers. Its so dreamy especially with the over the top overdubs. But Lindsey's guitar playing at the end is the icing on the cake for me. They develop this faster melody towards the end that is just brilliant.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When I bought Mirage in 1983 (I was late to the party), Only Over You was one of my least favorite songs. I thought it was too wishy washy. I remember playing the album (millennials look it up) and my mother hearing the song and said "What a beautiful song." That surprised me because my mother really never commented on any music I played before. I only began to appreciate Only Over You during the last 15 years. Its one of the most under-rated songs of the Mac. Its such a dreamy love song. But Lindsey's hypnotic jam towards the end and his guitar picking where the band plays around eachother makes me fall out of my chair.
Same here. I've never been crazy about songs that are impossible(for me, a guy) to sing along to.

It took me years to truly appreciate it, but I do now.

I felt the same way about Mystified for a long time.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Same here. I've never been crazy about songs that are impossible(for me, a guy) to sing along to.

It took me years to truly appreciate it, but I do now.

I felt the same way about Mystified for a long time.
You're gonna appreciate Oh Daddy in about 3 more years
Old 06-08-2020, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You're gonna appreciate Oh Daddy in about 3 more years
I've always loved a really good nap.