The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Go Insane like Lindsey Buckingham for NYE (blog post)

http://losttreasuresmusicreview.blog...ngham-for.html

GO INSANE LIKE LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM FOR NEW YEARS EVE

Being the last blog i write on Lost Treasures for 2012, i thought i'd pick on a song that reflects the mentality of New Years Eve revellers when they're drunk as a skunk and in full on party mode (laugh). Seriously now, i am having a fairly timid night, i am going to my mates place in Ipswich for a New Years Eve party but i dont intend to get blotto, just a bit tipsy. An old favourite of mine which sprung to mind immediately is the 1997 version of GO INSANE off the FLEETWOOD MAC album THE DANCE, an album of re-invented and modernised versions of the band's older material. Along with the stunning acoustic re-invention of BIG LOVE, which started life as a dreamy and textured song in the 70`s, GO INSANE is an acoustic powerhouse performance by LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM, a most talented guitarist who often was held back from indulging in his more experimental side due to the band's monumental success churning out hook laden melodic rock. Although the fans love RUMOURS, it's widely known that Buckingham was frustrated by the fact that its popularity overshadowed much of his unique and innovative songwriting on the experimental double album TUSK in 1979. Lindsey Buckingham playing GO INSANE all by himself and one guitar, with no backing, is one of the great 'unplugged' performances of all time. Happy 2013 to all my readers, have a great New Years Eve.

Posted 30th December by Tim Badrick

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was looking at the two LB newsletters Ledgies did in 2001, called "In the Eyes of the World."

They included a page with Go Insane quotes from Lindsey:

Quote:
A lot of the subject matter had to do with a real live break-up. Actually, it wasn't a break-up per se. It was a sort of slow deterioration of a relationship, which had four wonderful years and a couple of sort of very gray years. That's in a sense, what is being talked about, the effect that watching that has on you and has on both people from their perspectives. Everything can be very gray. The black and white just seems to go away and it's hard to tell what's even wrong sometimes. It can be a kind of trying situation. It's hard to know when to call it quits, yeah. You hope that things will get from one side to the other and things will hopefully start working themselves out again, but you can only take that so far. All the intense emotional presentation that's on the record was not performed per se. It was going on a year or two previous to making the record and it was still not resolved when the album was being made. I feel that having addressed a lot of these thigns and having gotten them down on vinyl was quite cathartic and helpful to me. Halfway through the album things got pretty resolved I'd say. Not resolved, but pretty much finished. So I feel pretty good.
Quote:
I feel my emotions have deepened and the lyrics are far more important running through this album than they ever have been to me in the past.
Quote:
There is a disappointed painful side, but I felt that it had a certain optimism to it, certainly by the end of the record anyway. I feel like it was healing for me in some senses. I make the joke flippantly but it was probably a lot more fun and a lot cheaper than say, going to a shrink.
Quote:
Working on the album was one of those fateful things where you're being pulled along without really having control over it -- which are the times when the best work is done. I can remember feeling that way toward the end of Rumours sort of 'God, something is going on here.' Which isn't to suggest the end result will be similar in any way. But the feeling is there."