The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Video from San Francisco (ABC7)

Watch the video interview.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ent&id=6370856
Old 09-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The guy asked if Lindsey has to pay Kristen and Will royalties and Lindsey joked that he had his son sign a waiver. Then, he said it might be a moot question. He'd share the royalties, "if there are any royalties to be had!"

Cute.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 09-05-2008 at 06:25 PM..
Old 09-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey doesn't mind us downloading records, because he says he doesn't sell millions of records anyway, so he's not impacted.

Says people used to share music in the old days in other ways anyway.

Plus, he says he should be happy that that many people will get to hear what he's doing.

Says we're heading to a point where the music will be free anyway and bands will just make money on touring.

Michele
Old 09-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Buckingham Nicks?

Says the masters are in Stevie's manager's closet and he and Stevie don't see each other that much, so that's why they're not out, but they probably will be eventually. The interviewer says that his sound has changed since BN. Lindsey responds "just a tad" and laughs he can't sing that high anymore.

Michele
Old 09-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't believe this story that he told FM to give him 3 years and don't come knocking on his door. He was standing alone in his house with the door wide open, begging for someone, anyone to come knocking. He's a nut.

He says he will have family at the San Jose show, nieces and a sister-in-law who lives in San Carlos.

He doesn't collect guitars just to have them. He only has them to use them. He has a Martin D 18 acoustic (I think, he said) that he's had since he was 18 and other than that, he has Rick Turners.

I think he got through this interview without talking about painting or movies, which I'm sure was very painful for him. My poor doll. Then there are some old year book, swimming and Fritz photos shown on the website. I will have to save this video to my computer somehow.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 09-05-2008 at 05:43 PM..
Old 09-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you Michele-- he's beaming!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Thank you Michele-- he's beaming!
Yes, the interviewer pointed out that the message of Gift of Screws sounds depressing and observed that Lindsey seemed like a pretty happy guy. Lindsey said that the song was written some time ago, so he was at a different place then. Moreover, the lyrics aren't depressed so much as they are just observing different feelings you go through.

Michele
Old 09-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Lindsey doesn't mind us downloading records, because he says he doesn't sell millions of records anyway, so he's not impacted.

Says people used to share music in the old days in other ways anyway.

Plus, he says he should be happy that that many people will get to hear what he's doing.

Says we're heading to a point where the music will be free anyway and bands will just make money on touring.

Michele

Very interesting. Sounds like Lindsey is way more enlightened on the matter than Stevie.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

That was cool! Thanks Michele
Old 09-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb

Sharon, that's because Stevie seems to live in FantasyLand a lot of the time. LOL He's right. I used to tape stuff off the radio all the time and made copies of tapes and records for others.

I was reading the David Cook thread at TWoP and there was an article about Guitar Hero (They are pushing that game like nobody's business on the American Idol tour...sheebus. Along with friggin' Pop Tarts.). Anyway, the person who posted said that Motley Crue sold 5x as many copies of one of their songs through that game than iTunes and other avenues. These record companies are gonna have to get REAL creative to continue making money. They need to get with the program.

That was a terrific interview. Thanks Michele.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It was also fascinating learning how he came by the title song "Gift of Screws," by just thumbing through a copy of a Dickinson book of poetry (made me laugh when he said something about "free domain") how how just thinking about those obscure words touched him in a unique way. How many men are secure enough to state they were even looking through a book of Emily Dickinson poetry? He is truly secure in himself and in his life now. He's no longer "so afraid." Great stuff. I'm glad this interview was captured.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Stevie still thinks it's the 70s and the same models and sales techniques should still apply.
What Lindsey said is dead on: it isn't too far removed from taping an album for a friend, albeit on a bigger scale and remember when there was all that stuff about home taping killing music? At least Lindsey isn't sitting around saying "what's the point?" because it isn't how it used to be 30 years ago. He's still making music and is GLAD it's being heard by someone.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
In Lindsey's particular situation, his low overhead (recording at home & in hotel rooms, playing the majority of the instruments himself, doing the majority of the production work himself, etc.) probably helps to protect him from the majority of those concerns. If you make your product on a shoestring budget, anything it sells is profit.

But when you have to pay large fees to producers, musicians, and recording studios, you have to sell a substantial amount of copies to recoup the investment. Employees and bill collectors aren't going to take "it was stolen" as an excuse.

I love that Lindsey is taking such a progressive attitude and is "going with the flow," but I don't think that can necessarily work for every artist.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 09-05-2008 at 07:17 PM..
Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Michelej1 for being at the right place, at the right time and for to post the link. It was a refreshing interview. I also appreciate the running commentary you provided because I couldn't listen at work but kept checking back to silently *read*.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Did anyone catch the little Lindsey comment about him saying the Fleetwood Mac tou would start around April? I LIKE!