Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Greg Dulli: LB Would Be in Jail Today

This is a Spinner interview with Greg Dulli.

http://www.spinner.com/2008/08/29/gr...urn-to-sub-po/

I was talking with Lindsey Buckingham and Don Henley, who come from an era right before yours, about success in the Internet age. I'd be curious to get your thoughts on what artists today face.

I'll tell you this first of all: If Don Henley and Lindsey Buckingham would've come up in the f---ing Internet age, they'd both be in jail right now. That is a fact and they both know what I'm talking about. As far as what's going on now, the persistence of paparazzi and media people, if I was a big celebrity I would walk around with a can of mace and a can of spray paint in either hand, and if you didn't get one you'd get the other or you'd get both. Mother f---ers up in my s---, taking my picture, following me around, taking pictures of my family -- that's insane.

Care to elaborate on the Henley and Buckingham comment?

You know what I mean. Everybody knows what I mean. Google "Don Henley," dude, and go past the first five pages. Lindsey Buckingham, watch the f---ing Fleetwood Mac 'Behind the Music.' It's fantastic. Let it be known that I love Fleetwood Mac.

I wasn't a big Eagles fan, but Henley is actually a cool guy at this point.

I'm sure John Mayer's a nice guy, and I'm not a fan of his.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

I was talking with Lindsey Buckingham and Don Henley, who come from an era right before yours, about success in the Internet age. I'd be curious to get your thoughts on what artists today face.

I'll tell you this first of all: If Don Henley and Lindsey Buckingham would've come up in the f---ing Internet age, they'd both be in jail right now. That is a fact and they both know what I'm talking about.

Care to elaborate on the Henley and Buckingham comment?

You know what I mean. Everybody knows what I mean. Google "Don Henley," dude, and go past the first five pages. Lindsey Buckingham, watch the f---ing Fleetwood Mac 'Behind the Music.'
....What? Is he talking about the time that Lindsey supposedly strangled Stevie during the TITN era?

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 08-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Omg, I love Greg Dulli. His version of What Makes You Think I'm The One is still my favourite Fleetwood Mac cover. Oh and the very, very awesome live Mac "cocaine trilogy" of Rhiannon/Sara/Gypsy he did.

As for what he's talking about, I'm not sure. Drugs maybe? Other than Stevie Nicks, that's the only thing they have in common as far as I know.

Last edited by trackaghost; 01-23-2009 at 04:30 PM..
Old 08-31-2008, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was confused by it.

But I think he's saying that if the media was in Lindsey's face the way they are in Justin Timberlake's that Lindsey would have attacked someone and been in jail by now. Although, I don't know if that's true, because Lindsey wasn't out on the street as much as other rockers and the media wouldn't get a chance to be in his face that much. Not unless the paparazzi staked out his rain room.

Michele
Old 08-31-2008, 01:55 AM
Registered

If Rumours was released in 2006, Lindsey would have served time in jail for attacking the paparazzi by now, considering his penchant for violent/aggressive outbursts to counter challenges/frustrations. That's a no-brainer.

That said, at least Lindsey seemingly has had the good sense to quit coke (hello felony possession charge), which is is more than can be said about the other guy......
Old 08-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't buy this theory that if someone became a star 25 years ago they wouldn't receive the nasty treatment that celebrities get today. In 1977 Farrah was the biggest star in the world. I'm sure she was hounded. Her photo was in every publication imaginable. Ask Madonna what the paparazzi was like to her in 1984 and she'll tell you it was the same as they do to Britney today. Or ask Elizabeth Taylor if she could go grocery shopping by herself in 1956. Ask Paul McCartney if he could go ANYWHERE in public in 1963without being chased by a bunch of screaming girls and photographers. I could go on and on back through time. The only thing that's changed is with the internet everything is now instantly accessible. As an example you can have a performer do a live show and the next day you can hear the bootleg. Before the web you could hear a bootleg, but it was usually from a show that occurred a few years before.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post

That said, at least Lindsey seemingly has had the good sense to quit coke (hello felony possession charge), which is is more than can be said about the other guy......
Are you talking about Henley or Dulli? I know Dulli doesn't drink or do drugs anymore and it's pretty evident in his shows. As for Henley I don't know much about the man.

And I disagree that the paparazzi is as bad today as it ever was. It is far worse. Just the nature of the internet means anyone can track where you are much more easily. Plus the press is more likely to print a picture of Hohan sans underwear and then for it to be emailed to everyone and their uncle.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think the press oppression was as DAILY then as it is now. I mean, I remember for Sean Penn and Madonna's wedding, there was mayhem, but that was a big event. I don't know if they followed them from dusk until dawn every single day so that TMZ could have "up to the minute" reporting, the way they do now.

Michele
Old 08-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We live in a society that glorifies, for better or worse, the "celebrity." It seems there are more and more celebrity-based "reality" shows and a larger variety of tabloids that feed these images to the public. The media is constantly fixated on weight gain/weight loss/plastic surgery/illicit affairs and every other random thing related to these people. There are people out there famous for doing nothing other than shopping, clubbing, and wearing designer labels. There are designers that are famous because they outfit some of these idiots whose credibility is based on having no talent but looking good. It's a circus, and it's very sickening.

And even myself, whose apt to flip through the occasional tabloid, can see how things have changed in just a few years. I really think Princess Diana's death- and even her life, for the most part- is a very strong indication of how sad the paparazzi and media have gotten. And so is the existence of Paris Hilton and any other ilk of young females who embody the "air headed, super-plastic" ideal that seems to be a focus.

My concern isn't about how sensationalized it's all become...my concern is WHERE HAS THE TALENT GONE? and why isn't the emphasis on that, as opposed to, say, the latest chick John Mayer is dating.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 08-31-2008, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
We live in a society that glorifies, for better or worse, the "celebrity." It seems there are more and more celebrity-based "reality" shows and a larger variety of tabloids that feed these images to the public. The media is constantly fixated on weight gain/weight loss/plastic surgery/illicit affairs and every other random thing related to these people. There are people out there famous for doing nothing other than shopping, clubbing, and wearing designer labels. There are designers that are famous because they outfit some of these idiots whose credibility is based on having no talent but looking good. It's a circus, and it's very sickening.

And even myself, whose apt to flip through the occasional tabloid, can see how things have changed in just a few years. I really think Princess Diana's death- and even her life, for the most part- is a very strong indication of how sad the paparazzi and media have gotten. And so is the existence of Paris Hilton and any other ilk of young females who embody the "air headed, super-plastic" ideal that seems to be a focus.

My concern isn't about how sensationalized it's all become...my concern is WHERE HAS THE TALENT GONE? and why isn't the emphasis on that, as opposed to, say, the latest chick John Mayer is dating.
Thats a very good point. I work at a grocery store and I have to look at the tabloids everyday describing Brangelina and their kids EVERY MOVE. Pardon me for sounding crude, but I just dont give a **** about that. I mean eally, these celebrities are never going to know who I am, and there really is no redeeming value in my obsessing over their lives.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Are you talking about Henley or Dulli? I know Dulli doesn't drink or do drugs anymore and it's pretty evident in his shows. As for Henley I don't know much about the man.
I was referring to Henley.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

FWIW, Henley is clean and sober these days.

Quote:
I was referring to Henley.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenleyFan View Post
FWIW, Henley is clean and sober these days.
Henley is one of a handful of 70's-80's stars who are still around/successful (touring/recording/etc) and overall decent citizens yet still regularly use illicit drugs.

Its not a huge deal (believe me, if one was to go after Henley, there are many more objectionable actions/behaviors to cite than a daily toot or two), but they're out there. This is widely known about Henley- Dulli was surely referring to this when he said "go past the first 5 pages"

As I said, no big deal.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

So Henley is still using drugs today? And you know this how? I wonder how he has the time between his three kids, his charity work, his Eagles committments, his solo work, and taking care of his wife who has MS.

I would guess that Mr. Dulli was referring to Henley's 1980 arrest for drug possession and contributing to the deliquency of a minor (underage prostitutes).

Quote:
Henley is one of a handful of 70's-80's stars who are still around/successful (touring/recording/etc) and overall decent citizens yet still regularly use illicit drugs.

Its not a huge deal (believe me, if one was to go after Henley, there are many more objectionable actions/behaviors to cite than a daily toot or two), but they're out there. This is widely known about Henley- Dulli was surely referring to this when he said "go past the first 5 pages"

As I said, no big deal.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

^^^
Whoa...really? I never knew his wife had MS. I loved the man before, but that just gives me a whole new respect for him as well. My grandmother died before I was born of MS. I've heard how it was to care for her...he deserves as much credit as I can possibly give him. Wow.

As for LB being in jail, wasn't it him who said at some point in some article, that if he wasn't a musician he'd be a criminal??? LOL. I can't recall for sure, and I have no idea the source, but he was asked what he'd be doing nowadays (I believe it was Dance-era) if not for his musical success...?? (Meanwhile, I could be way off and it could be some other band. But I do believe it was Mr Liddy Buck!) I'd say above all, it's probably referring to his temper. I can't see LB reacting kindly to the type of hounding famous people get these days. I'm sure there was hounding back then, too, as others have said...but it couldn't possibly be on this level. Everybody has a camera on their phone, and everybody can post that scandalous-if-out-of-context photo or video on YouTube, and then TMZ or Perez Hilton can get a hold of it, and suddenly it's news everywhere...meanwhile it was some schmoe who took a picture when the person was sneezing, so they look all crazy and drunk at 1pm. LOL. And that's to say nothing of the paparazzi.

Follow me "on tour" this fall! www.ladylucky49.wordpress.com. Bloggin' the Seeds We Sow tour, from the view of a traveling fan.

http://baublesandbeadles.etsy.com ~*~Handmade Beaded Jewelry And Accessories

~~~The hurt that you feel makes you strong... Lindsey Buckingham~~~

Dancin' Across The USA: Lindsey Tour '06-'07
Ten shows. Ten thousand miles. My favorite song in the setlist. Hugs, kisses, and handshakes. Heaven.