Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default How come Rick left the band?

According to the Penguin biographies, in early 1991 Rick Vito left Fleetwood Mac for personal reasons, and started his solo career

Was it just for giving time to his solo career, or there were more reasons to leave the band? I never read anything about it.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When Rick says "for personal reasons" (which he says in his Q&A and he has told me personally), just leave it at that. He won't go into any more detail than that.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've also heard the phrase "creative differences" used in regards to Rick's departure.

My theory has always been that he decided to strike out his own because Fleetwood Mac, for whatever inexplicible reason, really wanted him only for his guitar prowess rather than for his considerable songwriting talents as well.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
My theory has always been that he decided to strike out his own because Fleetwood Mac, for whatever inexplicible reason, really wanted him only for his guitar prowess rather than for his considerable songwriting talents as well.
...which is a pity! I also regret the fact that neither he nor Billy contributed a new song to the 25 Years box set (which probably wasn't their own decision).
Old 09-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Angel View Post
...which is a pity! I also regret the fact that neither he nor Billy contributed a new song to the 25 Years box set (which probably wasn't their own decision).
"Paper Doll" was co-written by Rick Vito.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

That's right, but I meant one of his own songs (i.e. with lead vocals by Rick as well), not a contribution to a Stevie song.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah...they could've included either "Got No Home" or "Intuition" of Rick's and "Victim Of Love" or "The Game Of Love" from Billy...or all four. They really didn't need to include 90% of Rumours & the white album in the box...especially since they'd not too much earlier released those same songs on the Greatest Hits album.

Also, they could've included more "rarities" from the middle years (1971-74).
Old 09-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

As much as I like the Behind The Mask album I still believe the album would've been better with the 4 tracks you mentioned and would've given it a different feel. It's a shame they weren't considered for the box set either.

That brings me to the other things you said - I totally agree, I remember being disappointed when I bought the box set and saw the track list. I didn't want to buy Rumours and the white album with a black cover and a shuffled running order. And Greatest Hits was also in my collection already. It was a wasted opportunity, to say the least. Then again, the focus on '75-'87 is no surprise as time has shown.

I still hope that the '71-'74 era will get the proper treatment and the record company's attention it deserves with remasters that include rarities/unreleased tracks/alternate versions etc.. And where are the Behind The Mask and Time deluxe editions? One can dream, right?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Angel View Post
I still hope that the '71-'74 era will get the proper treatment and the record company's attention it deserves with remasters that include rarities/unreleased tracks/alternate versions etc.. And where are the Behind The Mask and Time deluxe editions? One can dream, right?
I guess (as Bob Dylan said) "things have changed". The original plan was for Rhino/WB Special Products to remaster/reissue the ENTIRE WB/Reprise Fleetwood Mac catalogue (From Then Play On to Time)...with the three that were released as the first ones of the project. Well, with all the time that has gone by without a second "phase", I have my doubts that the reissue project is still on a burner. I hope that they come to their senses and decide to finish the original project....maybe that'll come as part of the 40th Anniversary...but I'm not holding my breath.