Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default It was the best of Time, it was the worst of Time: A tale of two bands

As we all well know, Fleetwood Mac has been many different bands during it's life - but I don't think it had ever been two different bands on the one album before. Still, it seems to hang together reasonably well - I don't find the differences as noticable as, say, some of Lindsey's tracks on Tango.

As I understand it there's one line-up of Mick, John, Billy Dave and Bekka with Steve Thoma on keyboards on some tracks and the other line-up of Mick, John, Christine with Michael Thompson on guitar.

But being overly pedantic, I notice that on I Wonder Why and Winds of Change, Thoma is listed as "Additional Keyboards" - additional to who? Did Christine contribute to these tracks?

Similarly, on I Do, Thompson is listed as "Additional Guitars" - additional to Billy, perhaps?

Or are these simply typographical terrors?

Last edited by Neb-Maat-Re; 08-28-2006 at 05:01 PM..
Old 08-28-2006, 05:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the keyboard situation was the way it was because Christine wouldn't let Dave Mason anywhere near her songs & she wanted nothing to do with his songs. I believe she did contribute to Billly's songs & even to one of Bekka's songs.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
As we all well know, Fleetwood Mac has been many different bands during it's life - but I don't think it had ever been two different bands on the one album before. Still, it seems to hang together reasonably well - I don't find the differences as noticable as, say, some of Lindsey's tracks on Tango.

Kudos to Richard Dashut for THAT!
Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I think the keyboard situation was the way it was because Christine wouldn't let Dave Mason anywhere near her songs & she wanted nothing to do with his songs. I believe she did contribute to Billly's songs & even to one of Bekka's songs.
Thanks - it's clearly not as clear cut as the "Christine only appears on Christine's songs" that some reviews would have you believe.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
because Christine wouldn't let Dave Mason anywhere near her songs & she wanted nothing to do with his songs.
I didn't know this. Why? Is there an old issue between them?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I didn't know this. Why? Is there an old issue between them?
She can't stand Dave Mason. I don't know how far back it goes.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
She can't stand Dave Mason. I don't know how far back it goes.
I think it goes back to when she was in Chicken Shack and Dave was in Traffic. Christine & Steve Winwood were/are pretty close friends. Dave & Steve aren't and never have been (they even had a spat during Traffic's Hall Of Fame induction ceremony...c'mon guys, let it go!!!) I think Christine's attitude toward Dave is due to her friendship with Steve Winwood.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I think it goes back to when she was in Chicken Shack and Dave was in Traffic. Christine & Steve Winwood were/are pretty close friends. Dave & Steve aren't and never have been (they even had a spat during Traffic's Hall Of Fame induction ceremony...c'mon guys, let it go!!!) I think Christine's attitude toward Dave is due to her friendship with Steve Winwood.
It could go back even further. Christine was dating Spencer Davis when he "discovered" Steve Winwood. At the time, Dave Mason was a roadie for the Spencer Davis Group.

In any event, I'm sure that she has her own reasons for not liking Dave Mason. Sure, there's the whole Dave Mason/Steve Winwood thing, but on the other hand, Mick Fleetwood was good friends with Dave Mason, and I bet Christine feels closer to Mick Fleetwood than Steve Winwood. That's not to say that the thing about Dave Mason that rubs Christine the wrong way isn't the same thing that rubs Steve Winwood the wrong way. I just have a hard time believing that Christine would be so...so...so gangstabitch.

Their history goes back to before either was known. Their paths have crossed many times over their lifetimes. They are two very different people who value very different things, and they clearly annoy the piss out of each other.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-30-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I actually read those excerpts back and forth on the web pages of each. Dave is a big cry baby sometimes.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=SteveMacD;566013]I just have a hard time believing that Christine would be so...so...so gangstabitch.QUOTE]

Talk about poetic!
I can't imagine that Christine McVie has ever been confused for a "Gangstabitch".
Let alone those two words ever in the same sentence... other than these two times.

"Lucky in love... Unlucky in opening cereal boxes... -- Lisa Douglas, re: Olivah
Old 08-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I just have a hard time believing that Christine would be so...so...so gangstabitch.
I think if Christine ever read that sentence, she'd find it hilarious...assuming that she knew what "gangstabitch" meant.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I think if Christine ever read that sentence, she'd find it hilarious...assuming that she knew what "gangstabitch" meant.
Isn't "Gangsatbitch" the name of her forthcoming album of Hip-hop collaborations?

Might face stiff competition from Bjorn and Benny's new album of ABBA gangsta remixes "Bling Bling".
Old 08-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE Isn't "Gangsatbitch" the name of her forthcoming album of Hip-hop collaborations?QUOTE]

No... I think you have her confused with Elton John...
no doubt a self-proclaimed "gangstabitch" and proud of it!

"Lucky in love... Unlucky in opening cereal boxes... -- Lisa Douglas, re: Olivah

Last edited by PsychCat; 08-30-2006 at 09:12 PM..
Old 08-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Isn't "Gangsatbitch" the name of her forthcoming album of Hip-hop collaborations?

No... I think you have her confused with Elton John...
no doubt a self-proclaimed "gangstabitch" and proud of it!

Old 08-31-2006, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post

Might face stiff competition from Bjorn and Benny's new album of ABBA gangsta remixes "Bling Bling".

Maybe they could all get together for that one.