Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I'm Not Me, Mick's Zoo Reissue

Mick Fleetwood’s Zoo – I’m Not Me (1983; 2012 reissue) Something Else Reviews
Posted by Nick DeRiso, May 26, 2012

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2012...-2012-reissue/

This home-recorded Mick Fleetwood project, never before issued on compact disc, is neither a solo effort nor a Fleetwood Mac knockoff — though, admittedly, there are moments when I’m Not Me can sound like his main group. Instead, more often than not, this short-lived quartet has its very own feel — well, a bunch of them, really.

Of course, Fleetwood Mac diehards will want to pick up I’m Not Me, set for long-awaited reissue on May 29, 2012 through Real Gone Music, because it includes “I Want You Back” — a lost minor hit that Lindsey Buckingham co-wrote and shared lead vocals on. Three tunes also feature lead vocals by Billy Burnette, who recorded and toured with the band for eight years during a Buckingham hiatus. “This Love” was co-written by producer Richard Dashut, who worked in a similar role on Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours, Mirage, Tango in the Night and Time — and co-produced a pair of solo projects with Buckingham, as well. Christine McVie also adds background vocals.

The main group, which included Fleetwood, Burnette, guitarist/vocalist Steve Ross (Men at Work, Beach Boys) and bassist Roger Hawkins (Kenny Loggins, Aretha Franklin) had, in fact, initially been assembled to back Buckingham during a February 1982 solo appearance on “Saturday Night Live.” Something clicked, and the group repaired to the studio to knock out some tracks. In keeping, “I Want You Back,” arriving as it does between Mirage and Tango in the Night, could have easily fit into either of those contemporary Fleetwood Mac efforts. But, really, I’m Not Me is far too layered and complex, too much of its very own thing, to be lumped together with Fleetwood’s more celebrated work there.

Zoo, in fact, had three of its own credible frontmen — and each of them adds his own texture and personality to the proceedings: Ross’ sleek take on “You Might Need Somebody,” an amiably grooving slice of blue-eyed soul, segues into Hawkins’ snarling stadium-rock number “Tonight.” Burnette’s country-blues title track sits alongside “State of the Art,” a riffy pop-rocker from Hawkins, which is then followed by Burnette’s brawny take on the mid-1950s gem “Tear It Up” — co-written by Burnette’s father Dorsey, an early-rock pioneer.

Burnette’s sensitive rendition of “Angel Come Home,” a tune Dennis Wilson wrote for the Beach Boys, frames up the album’s low-key vibe perfectly, with its ear-tickling, off-the-cuff combination of rough rockabilly, soaring So-Cal backing vocals and propulsive power pop. Heck, Ross steals away from his own emotional ballad “I Give” at one point to front a galloping version of Lloyd Price’s “Just Because.” It’s that kind of record — loose and lots of fun. In fact, Fleetwood doesn’t even play on “I Give,” and only adds the lightest of percussion to “Put Me Right,” Hawkins’ album-closing tune. That’s how little ego there was surrounding I’m Not Me.

Unfortunately, this was the only album this quirky, deeply underappreciated quartet ever managed. Fleetwood Mac resumed a few years later, and when Fleetwood jump started Zoo again in the early 1990s, it was with Billy Thorpe, Bekka Bramlett and Greg Wright, among others.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The main group, which included Fleetwood, Burnette, guitarist/vocalist Steve Ross (Men at Work, Beach Boys) and bassist Roger Hawkins (Kenny Loggins, Aretha Franklin) had, in fact, initially been assembled to back Buckingham during a February 1982 solo appearance on “Saturday Night Live.” ...Ross steals away from his own emotional ballad “I Give” at one point to front a galloping version of Lloyd Price’s “Just Because.”
So, that's why they did that song during the Mirage rehearsal. Cool.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Considering this started out with backing LB during SNL (I think the band was called Cholos at that point?) and that LB sang 'I Want You Back', does anyone think the original intention was to have this be a project apart from Fleetwood Mac that had Lindsey on lead vocals? In other words, was the intention to have Lindsey and Mick form a band together, apart from Fleetwood Mac?

(Found this picture that mentions 'Mick Fleetwood's Cholos)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqR,!pwE9eGeBW0ZBPr9sL1DFg~~60_1.jpg (29.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by holidayroad; 05-27-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Old 05-28-2012, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
Considering this started out with backing LB during SNL (I think the band was called Cholos at that point?) and that LB sang 'I Want You Back', does anyone think the original intention was to have this be a project apart from Fleetwood Mac that had Lindsey on lead vocals? In other words, was the intention to have Lindsey and Mick form a band together, apart from Fleetwood Mac?
No, it was always Mick's baby, and a way for him to work with Billy Burnette and George Hawkins. My *guess* is that Todd Sharp was the original choice for lead guitar, but was too busy working on the preproduction on Christine's solo album. Stephen Ross was good pals with Lindsey, and LB probably did that song for fun.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Blog Critics.org

The story behind Mick Fleetwood’s 1983 I’m Not Me is well known. It was his second “solo” album for RCA Records, but everyone, especially Fleetwood, knew it was a band effort. Fleetwood’s name was the draw, but The Zoo was a fully formed ensemble that had been playing together for a year. This occurred because Fleetwood wanted a real group and not an album put out by studio musicians who’d come by, do their parts, and ride off to other projects.

The principal members of the Zoo were Fleetwood on drums, guitarist/singers Billy Burnette and Steve Ross, along with bassist/singer George Hawkins. (Hawkins had appeared on Fleetwood’s previous release, The Visitor).
As Burnette, Hawkins, and Ross shared lead vocal duties and co-wrote many of the songs, the band’s structure was easily compared to that of Fleetwood Mac. In addition, the album was produced by Richard Dashut, producer of Rumors and Tusk. As Mac cohorts Christine McVie and Lindsey Buckingham added their own contributions to a few of the tracks, the resulting album had much in common with Fleetwood’s more famous ensemble.

In the studio, I’m Not Me evolved into a very pleasant, good-natured collection of soft-rock. Due to the presence of three lead singers and their various approaches, the album offers a nice variety of musical settings. The set opens with The Beach Boys’ “Angel Come Home,” and other covers include Tom Snow and Nan O'Byrne's "You Might Need Somebody" and Lloyd Price's "Just Because." Price’s song evokes early ‘60s Tin Pan alley tunes, but the rockabilly scorcher "Tear It Up" comes from a different stylistic direction. It was co-written by Dorsey and Johnny Burnette, Billy's father and uncle, respectively.

If you’d like a dose of pure AM pop, “This Love” takes you there with Clarence Clemons inspired sax lines. For those who’d like a more overt serving of Mac ingredients, The minor hit, “I Want You Back,” is as close to a Mac attack as any track on the album. I’ll go out on a limb with this one—the bluesy “I'm Not Me” is reminiscent of the Danny Kirwan led period of the pre-Rumors edition of Mac, especially his song “Tell Me All The Things You Do.” On the other end of the spectrum, as if to prove the Zoo was no solo effort, two songs don’t feature Fleetwood at all. Beach Boys-esque harmonies and a lovely piano are all that is needed for “I Give.” In the same spirit, simple strumming guitars without Fleetwood’s drums distinguish the slow “Put Me Right.”

All in all, it’s strange to note this is the first CD release of I’m Not Me. (Vinyl fans can also purchase the album in that format.) Seriously, this re-issue is long, long overdue. For Mac fans, there’s no reason to bypass this set even if you lean to the work of other FM alumni. Lindsey Buckingham called his last project a “small machine” when comparing his more intimate releases to the “large machine” of Mac. I’m Not Me is somewhere in the middle of such machines. If you don’t like it, someone you care for will.

Read more: http://blogcritics.org/music/article...#ixzz1wBmzLO35
Old 05-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
.... bassist Roger Hawkins (Kenny Loggins, Aretha Franklin)
Of course, he meant GEORGE (Jr.)...not Roger, the world-class drummer for the Mussel Shoals Studios' house band (aka "The Swampers", as referenced in the Lynyrd Skynyrd classic "Sweet Home Alabama")

Still boggles my mind that no retrospective review of the album mentions the blatant similarity between "State Of The Art" & "Little Lies". Yet, "I'm Not Me" reminds one reviewer of Kirwan's "Tell Me All The Things You Do"? I don't hear THAT in the least!

Quote:
.... Lloyd Price's "Just Because." Price’s song evokes early ‘60s Tin Pan alley tunes,
Of course it does...and it SHOULD...because it WAS an early '60s Tin Pan Alley tune!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Stephen Ross was good pals with Lindsey, and LB probably did that song for fun.
And, as most people already know (as I don my Captain Redundant hat), Steve Ross was a member of Lindsey's Out Of The Cradle tour band, too.

Last edited by chiliD; 05-29-2012 at 11:23 PM..
Old 05-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad to see the album is getting positive reviews and isn't getting glossed over as a failed side project of Mick's. INM really is a great album and its release on CD is indeed long overdue. I'm hoping that it and the re-release of The Visitor as well will open up opportunities for DVD releases of The Visitor BBC documentary and Christine's 1984 Live Show and the making of album documentary.

Matt
Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I'm glad to see the album is getting positive reviews and isn't getting glossed over as a failed side project of Mick's. INM really is a great album and its release on CD is indeed long overdue. I'm hoping that it and the re-release of The Visitor as well will open up opportunities for DVD releases of The Visitor BBC documentary and Christine's 1984 Live Show and the making of album documentary.

Matt
Good point, I guess it was a missed opportunity when The Visitor was reissued a while back that they could've at least got the rights to the BBC doc (i.e. edited version of The Visitor CED laserdisc) if not the whole CED laser disc video for inclusion as a bonus in the hopes of moving more copies but it's probably the whole high price of the rights issue. I don't understand how rights holders can ask for so much when as it stands now it's not out at all. You'd think agreeing to a lower amount would be in their best interest (i.e. getting something is better than getting nothing). Preaching to the choir I know just venting I guess.

John
Old 05-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Got mine today, thankfully it doesn't sound like a vinyl rip. Interesting the way they designed the cardboard sleeve as a gatefold album using the inner sleeve of the vinyl as the inside of the gatefold. It's odd that the sticker on the wrapping does incorrectly list "Roger" Hawkins but everywhere else in the notes, even the new liner notes written for this issue, it correctly lists George's name. Having said that, it looks like there may have been crossed wires somewhere by the makers since the notes state that Billy had "already" recorded his own version of the title track on his Gimme You album (huh?). Don't know where that comes from since as we know he did record his own version LATER on "Try Me" but minor quibbles aside, I'm happy with this.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 05-30-2012 at 04:33 PM..
Old 06-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Second Disc, June 8, 2012
http://theseconddisc.com/2012/06/08/...ed-and-durocs/

Mick Fleetwood’s Zoo, I’m Not Me (Real Gone Music RGM-0042, 2012)

When Fleetwood Mac took a hiatus following 1982’s Mirage, Mick Fleetwood used the opportunity to explore his solo muse. But the Mac’s namesake drummer always got by with a little help from his friends. He followed his solo debut (1981’s The Visitor) two years later with I’m Not Me, the first album released under the moniker of Mick Fleetwood’s Zoo. The “zookeeper” was joined by Billy Burnette and Steve Ross on guitar and vocals, bassist Roger Hawkins and, on background vocals, Christine McVie and Lindsey Buckingham! Richard Dashut, of Rumours and Tusk fame, produced the album which spotlights the singing and songwriting talent of the Brunette/Ross/Hawkins triumvirate while the nominal frontman kept the rock-steady groove.

Although Fleetwood is featured on the album’s front cover, I’m Not Me feels like a band effort. It’s perhaps too eclectic to have established a distinct identity for the band, but it doesn’t sound like Fleetwood Mac, either. Fleetwood knew when to cede the spotlight; the ever-generous drummer doesn’t even drum on one track, Stephen Ross’ “I Give.” A democratic approach to songwriting and vocals prevailed. Billy Burnette takes the lead on The Beach Boys’ “Angel Come Home,” co-written by Carl Wilson and originally sung by Dennis Wilson. It’s no surprise that longtime Beach Boys devotee Lindsey Buckingham elected to provide backing vocals on this song! The lush harmonies of Ross’ “Tonight” also recall the favorite sons of Hawthorne, California! Fleetwood and Richard Dashut’s clean production lends the album more of a late 1970s feel than that of 1983. Buckingham also co-wrote the minor hit single “I Want You Back” – no relation to the Jackson 5 song!

Imagine flipping the FM dial around the time of the album’s release, and you might get an idea of what to expect here. Though I’m Not Me is more straightforward than the Ghana-recorded world music explorations of The Visitor, Fleetwood nonetheless explores a number of sides to his musical identity. Tom Snow (“He’s So Shy,” “Somewhere Down the Road,” “Let’s Hear It For The Boy”) co-wrote the sleek, blue-eyed soul of “You Might Need Somebody” sung by guitarist Ross. “State ofthe Art,” written and sung by George Hawkins, is also on the softer side, with its sinuous saxophones.

Hawkins shines most when he cuts loose on Annie McLoone’s “Tonight,” but he also lends a lilt to “Put Me Right,” while a Burnette song gave the album its title. “I’m Not Me” is a strong, guitar-driven track, and Burnette revisits his musical roots on “Tear It Up,” written by his father and uncle, Dorsey and Johnny Burnette in 1956. The pounding piano, rockabilly guitars and shouted vocals add up to an infectious treat. Another true throwback is the languid Lloyd (“Personality”) Price song, “Just Because,” sung here by Ross.

Mick Fleetwood briefly returned to the Zoo concept in 1991 with a different line-up for the Shakin’ the Cage LP. Although this initial oteration was short-lived, it makes for an enjoyable reissue in Real Gone’s hands. Scott Schinder writes the liner notes for this first-time-on-CD release, and no bonus tracks have been appended to the original 11-track set.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love that this came out on CD. Sounds pretty good to me and I've been listening to it via headphones, speakers and my car.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Music Review: Mick Fleetwood's Zoo - I'm Not Me

Seattle Post-Intelligencer Copyright 2012 Seattle Post-Intelligencer. By The Other Chad, BLOGCRITICS.ORG
Published 07:40 a.m., Sunday, June 17, 2012

I'm Not Me is a quasi-solo release from Fleetwood Mac founding member and drummer Mick Fleetwood. The album was a follow-up to his 1981 effort The Visitor. Similarities between it and that earlier record include the retained presence of co-producer Richard Dashut and singer-songwriter George Hawkins. It's never an unpleasant album, with lots of breezy, tuneful pop rock. But the lasting impression is one of mere generic competence.
In addition to Hawkins, who handles lead vocals on four tunes (three of which he wrote), the singing is handled by guitarists Billy Burnette and Steve Ross. Ross duets with Lindsey Buckingham on the robotic march-like "I Want You Back." The title track is the work of Burnette, borrowing the swamp rock feel of Creedence Clearwater Revival. "Tear It Up" continues to find Burnette in derivative mode, this time '50s rock and roll. He's more effective on the album-opening cover of Carl Wilson's "Angel Come Home," probably the album's best moment. Ross' treacly piano ballad "I Give" feels like an unfinished demo.

Scott Schinder's newly written liner notes effectively place I'm Not Me in context with the rest of Mick Fleetwood's career. The packaging recreates the original gatefold LP, only in miniature form of course. It's great that Real Gone Music saw fit to put this album out on CD for the first time, but honestly it's not a terribly distinctive album. This one is aimed more at Fleetwood Mac completists than anyone else. I'm Not Me sounds like the work of a bunch of guys who clearly know how to play music but simply aren't trying very hard.

http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/b...Me-3640199.php
Old 06-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Music Review: Mick Fleetwood's Zoo - I'm Not Me

Seattle Post-Intelligencer Copyright 2012 Seattle Post-Intelligencer. By The Other Chad, BLOGCRITICS.ORG
Published 07:40 a.m., Sunday, June 17, 2012

I'm Not Me is a quasi-solo release from Fleetwood Mac founding member and drummer Mick Fleetwood. The album was a follow-up to his 1981 effort The Visitor. Similarities between it and that earlier record include the retained presence of co-producer Richard Dashut and singer-songwriter George Hawkins. It's never an unpleasant album, with lots of breezy, tuneful pop rock. But the lasting impression is one of mere generic competence.
In addition to Hawkins, who handles lead vocals on four tunes (three of which he wrote), the singing is handled by guitarists Billy Burnette and Steve Ross. Ross duets with Lindsey Buckingham on the robotic march-like "I Want You Back." The title track is the work of Burnette, borrowing the swamp rock feel of Creedence Clearwater Revival. "Tear It Up" continues to find Burnette in derivative mode, this time '50s rock and roll. He's more effective on the album-opening cover of Carl Wilson's "Angel Come Home," probably the album's best moment. Ross' treacly piano ballad "I Give" feels like an unfinished demo.

Scott Schinder's newly written liner notes effectively place I'm Not Me in context with the rest of Mick Fleetwood's career. The packaging recreates the original gatefold LP, only in miniature form of course. It's great that Real Gone Music saw fit to put this album out on CD for the first time, but honestly it's not a terribly distinctive album. This one is aimed more at Fleetwood Mac completists than anyone else. I'm Not Me sounds like the work of a bunch of guys who clearly know how to play music but simply aren't trying very hard.

http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/b...Me-3640199.php
What an arrogant, elitist review. Go back to listening to Nirvana.

Matt