Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Add to my list:

We Built This City (The word does rhyme with city...)

Glory of Love

If You Leave (From Pretty In Pink)

I've Had The Time Of My Life

Physical

Wind Beneath My Wings

Heaven

Crocodile Rock (WTF???)

Mandy

Solid As A Rock

Electric Avenue

Footloose

Purple Rain (Am I the ONLY one who thinks Prince has a poor singing voice?)

- Jake
Old 02-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Add to my list:

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit

Am I the ONLY one who thinks Prince has a poor singing voice?

- Jake
no.
it's pathetic.

gerald

Old 02-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Purple Rain (Am I the ONLY one who thinks Prince has a poor singing voice?)

- Jake
I can't stand his voice either. But he is a great songwriter and musician. That vocalist v. songwriter and/or musician debate again.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Tango:

With all the great classics being listed, no one's listed the Moody Blues "Knights in White Satin" yet.
Gives a whole new meaning to the song don't ya think?!

Joe
Old 02-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wind Beneath My Wings
I don't think this song gets enough credit, actually. Yeah, it's a bit cheesy and it reeks of 80s, but it is the number one example of a hit ballad. It has everything in it: fantastic singing, melodramatic music, it was produced to show off the artists pipes; I think all other ballad singers need to take a look at this for the way to do it right.

Glory of Love is a fab song, but it needs an uptempo treatment, NOT the ballad treatment. The little girl from Beaches gave the best rendition of it.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Add to my list:

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I don't think this song gets enough credit, actually. Yeah, it's a bit cheesy and it reeks of 80s, but it is the number one example of a hit ballad. It has everything in it: fantastic singing, melodramatic music, it was produced to show off the artists pipes; I think all other ballad singers need to take a look at this for the way to do it right.D
Sorry, I think her voice stinks on it. Nothing like the great vocals she gave for "The Rose" or "When a Man Loves a Woman". Just dreary. I know this opinion isn't popular, but it's my humble one.

- Jake
Old 02-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Add to my list:

Quote:
Sorry, I think her voice stinks on it. Nothing like the great vocals she gave for "The Rose" or "When a Man Loves a Woman". Just dreary. I know this opinion isn't popular, but it's my humble one.

- Jake
I think ALL of her vocals from The Rose are jaw-dropping; they're simply fantastic.

Hmm, I think I should start a Bette appreciation thread...

Old 02-08-2004, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Add to my list:

Quote:
I think ALL of her vocals from The Rose are jaw-dropping; they're simply fantastic.

Hmm, I think I should start a Bette appreciation thread...
Sorry again, but as far as appreciation goes, the only thing I could stand her in is Ruthless People. Chainsaw enema, anyone?

- Jake
Old 02-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Add to my list:

Quote:

- Jake
Bette is a little like Bonnie Raitt to me. Both never really sing 100% in key. But, therein is the magic of them IMO.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Add to my list:

Quote:
Sorry again, but as far as appreciation goes, the only thing I could stand her in is Ruthless People. Chainsaw enema, anyone?

- Jake

"Oh, gee whiz! I'm a real aficianado of death camp cuizine!"

Old 02-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Bette is a little like Bonnie Raitt to me. Both never really sing 100% in key. But, therein is the magic of them IMO.
It's funny that you should say that.

A friend of mine just sent me a bunch of "studio reels" of Bette in the studio. Listening to them, I came to the conclusion that La Midler doesn't need pro-tools to fix a thing; she sounds fantastic during first takes and everything. My favorite one is a recording session for a bunch of "For the Boys" songs; every single one of 'em is amazing. Let me know if you want me to send ya one to listen to.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

There should be some sort of law barring using Bette Midler & Bonnie Raitt in the same sentence. How degrading to Bonnie.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
There should be some sort of law barring using Bette Midler & Bonnie Raitt in the same sentence. How degrading to Bonnie.
Mea Culpa!!!

I agree, unlike Bette, Bonnie R. is the whole package - player (and a great one at that), writer, performer, and singer. "Green Light" and Nick of Time are amonst my fav.'s to this day not to mention her "I Can't Make you Love Me" (chills) and who the hell else could sing "I ain't some icon carved out of soap - Sent here to clean up your reputation"

I do, however, love Bette, just perhaps not in the same sentence!!!

Old 02-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's funny that you should say that.

A friend of mine just sent me a bunch of "studio reels" of Bette in the studio. Listening to them, I came to the conclusion that La Midler doesn't need pro-tools to fix a thing; she sounds fantastic during first takes and everything. My favorite one is a recording session for a bunch of "For the Boys" songs; every single one of 'em is amazing. Let me know if you want me to send ya one to listen to.

How cool is it to have those!!!!! I love BM (did I just day that? ) She can sing anything so convincingly. Remember when she sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" at that NYC 9-11 memorial at Chez Stadium thingee. I was in some airport and just started sobbing as pretty much did she. As an aside, liza with a Z was also pretty great at the memorial. The whole thing really was great. So much emotion. I do not know how the artist got through the songs. In fact, many did not, without crying.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Add to my list:

Quote:
How cool is it to have those!!!!! I love BM (did I just day that? ) She can sing anything so convincingly. Remember when she sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" at that NYC 9-11 memorial at Chez Stadium thingee. I was in some airport and just started sobbing as pretty much did she. As an aside, liza with a Z was also pretty great at the memorial. The whole thing really was great. So much emotion. I do not know how the artist got through the songs. In fact, many did not, without crying.

Nice to know you love BMs, doll.

They aren't as good quality as the Stevie reels and they do have noticeable hiss, but they are pretty awesome. Part of the reason why I love her so dearly is that she can sing any song as if it was her own.

And...she does write her own stuff and play instruments. Back in the seventies, she had written *tons* of her own material (rumoured to be around 50-70 songs) and recorded them, but something happened with her label or such and they practically stole them from her. As of late, she starting to put her self-penned stuff out there during her tours. We can only hope that she finally records and releases her stuff on albums!