Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Iron Man - Black Sabbath
Another Brick In The Wall - Pink Floyd
Money - Pink Floyd
Have A Cigar - Pink Floyd
Old 02-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

ANYTHING by Bob Seger

Unchained Melody (you're so right on, Christy!)

Imagine- John Lennon (it does nothing for me)

Dreams- Fleetwood Mac (rather dull and lifeless)

Like A Rolling Stone- Bob Dylan (I love Dylan, but this song stinks)

American Girl- Tom Petty (I'm a HUGE Petty fan, but this annoys me)

Old 02-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Led Zep, they are great but I'm tired of their songs. I think Stairway isn't that good. If I want great rock and roll epics, The Who never grows old for me.

Same with Rolling Stones..I agree with Satisfaction...their songs aren't as fresh as the Beatles still sound.

I think Dream On is overrated. I can't stand that song ( Aerosmith)

I think Thiller ( the song) is overrated. It's the same annoying beat over and over and the video...too long.

I think the Doors as a whole are overrated. They missed something musically, lyrically, great, but musically, I'm always left cold. I think once you hit like 18 , you realize oh..there is much better.

I too think Dreams should not have been FM's lone number 1 song. I think Stevie has put out much better.

I think Eminem is overrated. At first he was great but he's just now sounding OLD ...same thing over and over.

I always stray off subject...I'll stop now.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:32 PM

Since I don't listen to commercial radio anymore, especially classic rock, it's hard for me to pick one these days.

But I'd have to agree with the "Stairway to Heaven" choice.

Now, "Satisfaction" can never be considered overrated. It contains arguably rock 'n roll's most recognizable riff. And if you consider when it was released, it was a rather risque tune at that.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Janet
Same with Rolling Stones..I agree with Satisfaction...their songs aren't as fresh as the Beatles still sound.
WHAAAAATT!!???

You mean to say that you think "Love Me Do," "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "I Saw Her Standing There" sound more contemporary than "Satisfaction" or "Angie?" Never.

I think it is fair to say both bands have timeless music. And both bands have songs that sound dated today. To be sure, I can't imagine something like "Here Comes the Sun" ever sounding dated, but "Love Me Do?" Or for that matter, the Stone's "Miss You" will always be identified with the disco era. But to say the Beatles' stuff has withstood the test of time better than the Stones is a bit off.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Janet
I too think Dreams should not have been FM's lone number 1 song. I think Stevie has put out much better.

I like Dreams and respect it for being FM's only #1 song. I'll usually listen to it if it comes on...but Sara and Gypsy are better Stevie-FM songs/singles IMHO.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Opinions are always such an interesting thing, and I'm definitely not knocking yours... because I don't appreciate my own being knocked... but I get a chuckle out of the fact that you think songs like "Dreams" and "Thrown Down" are dull, lifeless, and boring, but that "Save Me A Place" is a masterpiece. Meanwhile, I feel the exact opposite.
Well, ok, I don't feel that "Thrown Down" is necessarily a "masterpiece," but it definitely doesn't cause me to yawn the way "Save Me A Place" does.

As hard as I've tried, I just can't find an appreciation for it. Most days the nicest thing I can say about it, is that it's short... though I have to say that I don't dislike it as vehemently as I used to.
It just amazes me that out of ALL the Lindsey songs one could put in the "masterpiece" category (and there are many), so many people seem to latch onto that one.

Now, if anyone wants to say that "That's All For Everyone" is a masterpiece, I'll agree with them wholeheartedly!
That song is completely and utterly under-rated, to the same degree "Save Me A Place" is over-rated.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Johnny Stew, I couldn't agree more with you! I don't like Save Me a Place at all (and I LOVE Lindsey). It sounds like a funeral dirge or something to me. BOOOORING. And I love That's All for Everyone. Underrated? You bet!

Patti
Old 02-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Thank you for saying it first!

Quote:
AMEN!!

Anything by Sheryl Crow, I agree with...I can't STAND her voice or songs!!

As for FM songs...I don't think ANY of them are overrated really, except maybe Say You Love Me. I've never thought it was that spectacular of a song, but of course, the hits are usually not my fave songs by people.

Whitney's version of Dolly's I Will Always Love You. I prefer the original because it MEANT something to Miss Dolly and she almost cries when she sings it. Whitney just sings it to be diva-ish.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ANYTHING by Bob Seger

Unchained Melody (you're so right on, Christy!)

Like A Rolling Stone- Bob Dylan (I love Dylan, but this song stinks)

American Girl- Tom Petty (I'm a HUGE Petty fan, but this annoys me)
Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
AMEN!!

Heretics! All the way through & through.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

Heretics! All the way through & through.

I second that.
(But "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints...")

- Jake
Old 02-07-2004, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, I'm going to get kicked out of this place I think, but I cannot STAND Don McLean's "American Pie".

"My Heart Will Go On" and "I Will Always Love You" are two other strong choices, too.

Song of the moment - Child Of Mine
Old 02-07-2004, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Cristian
Oh, I'm going to get kicked out of this place I think, but I cannot STAND Don McLean's "American Pie".
I like it, but I remember a critics' poll a few years ago named it the most overrated song.

- Jake
Old 02-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
I like it, but I remember a critics' poll a few years ago named it the most overrated song.

- Jake
And do you also remember a few years ago when Madonna ruined it???
Old 02-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Senior Ledgie

--unchained melody
--believe (cher)--why was this song a mega-smash-everywhere? during its heyday, you could be anywhere on the globe and the song would be right there, piercing your brain.
--candle in the wind (princess di version)--ok, the original is played a lot as it is, but i still like it...however, the lyrics on the newer version are cornier and by 1997, elton's voice seemed to have aged about 50 years.
--r-e-s-p-e-c-t
--most holland-dozier-holland songs
--most early elvis songs (lyrics like "won't you wear my ring around your neck, tell the world i'm yours by heck" are downright horrendous).

i agree with a lot of the other choices here, too (esp celine dion). however, i have to admit i think dylan's Like a Rolling Stone is a masterpiece. it is my favorite song of all time and it gives me goosebumps whenever i hear it. that and mr. tambourine man (dylan's version)