User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up The Bette Midler Appreciation Thread

I just had to start this.

I can't wait to see her in March!!! I was going to see her January 20th, but couldn't go, so I swapped tickets with a friend of mine to see her March 15.

I think that when all is said and done, people will look back on her and view her as the best performer and entertainer of the last century. We've discussed Tina Turner having unending energy, but even she can't top Bette (for a good example of this, watch "Divine Madness"...and she had pneumonia when she filmed it!!). She can take a song and interpret better than the person who wrote it.

My favorite albums:

Bette Midler (her second album; every song is fantastic)
Songs For the New Depression
The Rose Soundtrack
Divine Madness
Bathhouse Betty
Bette Midler Sings the Rosemary Clooney Songbook (I feel awful saying it, but she does most of these songs better than Clooney...)

My favorite songs:

Paradise
Big Noise From Winettka
E Street Shuffle/Summertime/Leader of the Pack (from the Divine Madness album; it''s ten minutes long, but it's simply stunning)
In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening
Fire Down Below
This Ole House
I'm Beautiful
Ukelele Lady
Love TKO
In These Shoes
Stay With Me (considered her crowning achievement)
I'll Remember You

...and on and on and on...

Old 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE Bette Midler! I saw her in concert several years ago and she was absolutely incredible! Well worth the money to see her. I think you will be thrilled, Dissention!

I love The Divine Miss M. Do You Wanna Dance is my favorite song of hers. And yes, Stay With Me. She gives me goose bumps when she sings that song.

Please do post your thoughts on the show after the 3/15.

Patti
Old 02-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Ledgie

OOOOOOO girl...I meant to come on here and tell you about the show on tuesday night when i got home but i have been on such a buzz that i have not gotten a chance.

She looks soooooo good! I am loving the sailor suit she opens with! TOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!! ANd she sounded so fabulous. She told a lot of jokes, especially about Bush. I was rollin! I swear I was the youngest person in the audience though...it was kind of scary. All these grey haired people are looking at me like "Is she lost?" I was hooping & hollering through the whole show. I could tell Bette was getting a little frustrated by the lack of response from Seattle's ritzy crowd.

Anyhow...watch out at the concession stands. She is charging A LOT for t-shirts. It was $35 for the sweatshirt and bland t-shirt and everything else was $50 or more. I bought a program for $20 and the grey long sleeved- off the shoulder shirt. It is so cute but cost $50. She was even selling just regular boas for $50 a piece!! Like the ones you buy at the party stores for $5.

But the show was worth the prices. She was moving for 2 hours straight...it wore me out just to watch her. Her voice was sooo on..I hope she doesn't wear it out before your show. I was actually trying to figure out if i could afford to fly some where for a weekend to see her again.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by RoxyRockstar
OOOOOOO girl...I meant to come on here and tell you about the show on tuesday night when i got home but i have been on such a buzz that i have not gotten a chance.

She looks soooooo good! I am loving the sailor suit she opens with! TOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!! ANd she sounded so fabulous. She told a lot of jokes, especially about Bush. I was rollin! I swear I was the youngest person in the audience though...it was kind of scary. All these grey haired people are looking at me like "Is she lost?" I was hooping & hollering through the whole show. I could tell Bette was getting a little frustrated by the lack of response from Seattle's ritzy crowd.

Anyhow...watch out at the concession stands. She is charging A LOT for t-shirts. It was $35 for the sweatshirt and bland t-shirt and everything else was $50 or more. I bought a program for $20 and the grey long sleeved- off the shoulder shirt. It is so cute but cost $50. She was even selling just regular boas for $50 a piece!! Like the ones you buy at the party stores for $5.

But the show was worth the prices. She was moving for 2 hours straight...it wore me out just to watch her. Her voice was sooo on..I hope she doesn't wear it out before your show. I was actually trying to figure out if i could afford to fly some where for a weekend to see her again.
SOUNDS FABULOUS!!!!! I'm so glad you had a good time! If this show is anything like the Divine Miss Millenium tour (which blew my socks off!), I'll be in heaven!

Is she still doing her "duet" with Mr. Rogers, "I Like To Be Told"? Such a great anti-Bush sentiment.

What was your favorite song of the night?

And the tour items? OMG at the prices!!!!!!! My friend picked up a tourbook for me at the Boston show and it had a HYSTERICAL mention of Mama Nicks in it! Have you seen it yet? If not, I don't want to spoil it for you but it's in the Dolores De Lago section of the book.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Ledgie

Yeah...she is still doing the duet with Mr. Rodgers..it was sweet. I was just watching the Divine Miss M DVD and I have to say i like this tour better than that one. That one seems more clumsy...this one is really classy.

My fave song was probably "I think It's Gonna Rain Today." I absolutly love that song and "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" was really lively. I like the old footage of her they show. And I have to say I am loving the blonde curly Q hair she is sporting for the show. I want to have a sailor suit made up and do my hair like that some day just for fun.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Ledgie

OK..i just went through the tour book back anf forward and saw no mention of her...the closest I got was Lenny Castro listed as the percussionist. You must have a different book than mine. BTW...Lenny looked so hilarious dancing on stage...little fat man with a stevie tamborine(which he handed to bette). I was hootin for him and was like the only person making any noise so they noticed me when she was introducing him.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah...she is still doing the duet with Mr. Rodgers..it was sweet. I was just watching the Divine Miss M DVD and I have to say i like this tour better than that one. That one seems more clumsy...this one is really classy.

My fave song was probably "I think It's Gonna Rain Today." I absolutly love that song and "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" was really lively. I like the old footage of her they show. And I have to say I am loving the blonde curly Q hair she is sporting for the show. I want to have a sailor suit made up and do my hair like that some day just for fun.
I adore "I Think It's Gonna Rain Today." "Tin can at my feet..."

My favorite tour was the Divine Madness tour; this will have to be an amazing show to top the DM tour. I loved the medleys she did on that tour: E Street Shuffle/Summertime/Leader of the Pack, Dolores De Lago/My Way, Chapel of Love/Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, AND she did Paradise (one of my faves!!). Gawd, I love that DVD.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OK..i just went through the tour book back anf forward and saw no mention of her...the closest I got was Lenny Castro listed as the percussionist. You must have a different book than mine. BTW...Lenny looked so hilarious dancing on stage...little fat man with a stevie tamborine(which he handed to bette). I was hootin for him and was like the only person making any noise so they noticed me when she was introducing him.
There's a mention of Stevie that goes something like "Dolores' good pal Stevie Nicks always said she Dolores liked to party and 'If there's a vodka and an aquarium...'"