Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:06 AM

Top 10 Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac Songs
By Michael Gallucci

Christine McVie was a member of Fleetwood Mac long before Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined and transformed them from a lumbering ’60s British blues band into one of the ’70s’ biggest acts. She joined the group in 1970 and slowly evolved into one of its strongest songwriters. But once Buckingham and Nicks got on board in 1975, McVie stepped up even more, writing and singing some of Fleetwood Mac’s biggest hits. Even if she occasionally got lost outside of the spotlight that was increasingly aimed at the California couple, McVie often contributed standout cuts on milestone records like Rumours and Tusk. Our list of the Top 10 Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac Songs proves that Buckingham and Nicks were just part of the singer-songwriter powerhouse that fueled the band.

'Everywhere'

In spite of its very '80s production, Lindsey Buckingham's last album with the band's most famous and successful lineup contains some of its most sophisticated pop songs. McVie's "Everywhere," released as the LP's fourth single, reached No. 14, their last Top 20 hit. It's a typically shimmering piece of music from the band, which was splintering beyond repair at the time.

'Love in Store'

The opening track of 1982's Mirage sets the tone for the relatively scaled-back album (following the super-ambitious Tusk), coasting along a warm and cozy McVie melody. Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks provide heavenly harmonies, but "Love in Store" is mostly McVie's song, right down to her welcoming, worn-in vocal.

'Songbird'

McVie's Rumours solo showcase features mainly just piano and vocal with very spare backing. "Songbird" is one of her loveliest compositions and one of her most personal, which explains the intimate performance she gives. Nestled between "Go Your Own Way" and "The Chain" on the multi-platinum album, the song serves as a calm before and after the storms.

'Little Lies'

Like "Everywhere" (see No. 10 on our list of the Top 10 Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac Songs), "Little Lies" bears the highly polished production favored by just about everyone in the mid-'80s. But McVie's gently rocking song -- co-written with her husband at the time, Eddy Quintela -- packs a mighty hook. Released as a single, "Little Lies" made it to No. 4, which tied it as Fleetwood Mac's biggest hit since "Don't Stop," and their last Top 10.

'Think About Me'

Tusk, Fleetwood Mac's double-record follow-up to the career-defining 'Rumours,' is generally viewed as a Lindsey Buckingham project -- from the album's general epic sprawl to its intricate production. Backed by Buckingham, "Think About Me" is a tight, compact and surprisingly tough rocker by McVie, who usually countered her bandmate's biting sour notes with soft sweetness.

'Over My Head'

Fleetwood Mac's superstar era pretty much kicked off with this Top 20 single (the band's first Top 40 hit) from their self-titled 1975 reboot. Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks gave the veteran British blues group the pop smarts it needed to hit the charts, but the band led its charge with McVie's "Over My Head," which set the template for her role in the band's storied singer-songwriter trio as the one who wrote its best soft rockers.

'Hold Me'

As on a few other cuts on our list of the Top 10 Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac Songs, she gets ample support from Lindsey Buckingham on "Hold Me," the first single from the band's first album of the '80s. But McVie co-wrote it (with British singer-songwriter Robbie Patton) and guides it through the subtle twists and turns. The song became one of the band's biggest hits, making it to No. 4.

'You Make Loving Fun'

By the time "You Make Loving Fun" was released as Rumours' third single, the album was well on its way to becoming one of the bestselling LPs ever. The song celebrates McVie's affair with a member of Fleetwood Mac's tour crew, which probably thrilled her bass-playing bandmate ex. But Rumours was built on that type of friction.

'Don't Stop'

McVie's biggest hit with Fleetwood Mac (only "Dreams," the band's sole No. 1, was bigger) is really a group song. At least in performance, where Lindsey Buckingham shares a huge chunk of lead vocals. But McVie wrote it, and it carriers her imprint, from the big piano-powered melody to the finely tuned (and super-tuneful) interplay of the verse and choruses.

'Say You Love Me'

"Over My Head" (see No. 5 on our list of the Top 10 Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac Songs) may have launched Fleetwood Mac Mach 5 (or whatever number they were on at this stage), but "Say You Love Me" confirmed their status as pop stars. Stevie Nicks' "Rhiannon," Fleetwood Mac's second single, reached No. 11 and was the group's biggest song up until then, but McVie's cut (also a No. 11 hit) helped send the No. 1 album on its way to multi-platinum glory.

Read More: Top 10 Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac Songs | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chris...ckback=tsmclip
Old 07-18-2015, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt from Rod Stewart article]

Rod Stewart Headbangs, Tells 'Shagging' Stories and Performs with A$AP Rocky in 'Carpool Karaoke'

By Lars Brandle | July 15, 2015 5:58 AM EDT Billboard

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...h-aap-rocky-in

When asked about the most rock ‘n’ roll experience of his life, the 70-year-old’s answer was as candid as you could expect. “I don’t know, mate. There’s been so many. We were outrageous with the Faces.” In what way? “Drinking and a shagging. And a drinking and a shagging. That’s what we did. And smashing up hotel rooms.” He recalled how the Faces were banned from the Holiday Inn, so they always checked in as Fleetwood Mac.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[The Eagles are America's favorite band. Those Brits spoil everything. ]

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/l...b2061d9e0.html

Fleetwood Mac has classic songs and albums and is currently touring with the band’s most famous lineup, but only Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham are Americans.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Rod Stewart Headbangs, Tells 'Shagging' Stories and Performs with A$AP Rocky in 'Carpool Karaoke'

When asked about the most rock ‘n’ roll experience of his life, the 70-year-old’s answer was as candid as you could expect. “I don’t know, mate. There’s been so many. We were outrageous with the Faces.” In what way? “Drinking and a shagging. And a drinking and a shagging. That’s what we did. And smashing up hotel rooms.” He recalled how the Faces were banned from the Holiday Inn, so they always checked in as Fleetwood Mac.
the whole video is pretty great!

and i also love the non-diva behavior Rod displays at the very end when Corden asks him whether he'll be ok getting back and Rod goes "oh yeah i'll just call uber". love my rock stars to be self-sufficient!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Oh, that's such a cool clip. I guess Fleetwood Mac have a mixed relationship with Rod Stewart- Mick and Stevie are obviously good pals with him but I'm not sure Lindsey would ever be on good-mate terms after the rumoured incident with Carol-Ann. Shame they didn't play my favourite- Baby Jane.

On another note, can I ask American Ledgies what sort of reception James Corden is having for his chat show in the US? He's a big deal in the UK but a bit of a love him or loath him character. I probably fall in the latter but for some reason I'd like to see him succeed in the States.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

On another note, can I ask American Ledgies what sort of reception James Corden is having for his chat show in the US? He's a big deal in the UK but a bit of a love him or loath him character. I probably fall in the latter but for some reason I'd like to see him succeed in the States.
Of course, when I just heard his name, I didn't think I knew him, but then I saw him and realized he's the guy behind Gavin & Stacey. I was thrilled.

Michele
Old 07-21-2015, 02:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course, when I just heard his name, I didn't think I knew him, but then I saw him and realized he's the guy behind Gavin & Stacey. I was thrilled.

Michele
I never did get the popularity of Gavin and Stacey.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I never did get the popularity of Gavin and Stacey.
It's pretty funny -- and sweet. It's no Coupling, by any means.

Michele
Old 07-22-2015, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt From a Rolling Stone Flashback Re Bob Dylan]

By Andy Greene July 21, 2015

As quickly as the covers entered Dylan's set, they vanished when the tour picked up in Australia in February of the following year. Former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Billy Burnette replaced Charlie Sexton by that point and they did play "Brown Sugar" the first night in Canberra, but after that they were completely gone - and after just 11 shows Burnette was gone as well. Filling Lindsey Buckingham's shoes was no easy feat, but apparently it was even harder to fill Charlie Sexton's.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/vi...#ixzz3gbAizZaC
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
Old 07-23-2015, 08:48 AM

Smashing Pumpkins and Marilyn Manson Begin Summer Tour

Smashing Pumpkins and Marilyn Manson started their End Times Tour in Concord, Calif., on Tuesday (July 7), treating fans to a night of debuts, returns and hits as well as deep cuts.

Touring behind Monuments to an Elegy, the Smashing Pumpkins took the stage with a newly revamped lineup that saw bassist Jack Bates making his live debut while drummer Jimmy Chamberlin returned for the first time since 2008. The Smashing Pumpkins’ July 7 setlist also featured some numbers fans hadn’t heard in concert for awhile, including “The Everlasting Gaze” and “Thru the Eyes of Ruby,” along with hits (including “Bullet with Butterfly Wings,” “1979″ and an acoustic “Disarm”) as well as their cover of Fleetwood Mac‘s “Landslide.”

Read More: Smashing Pumpkins and Marilyn Manson Begin Summer Tour: Photos, Set Lists, Video | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/smash...ckback=tsmclip
Old 07-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From real estate piece]

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1.../p2p-84052313/

$23 million — Santa Monica

In the 600 block of East Channel Road, the former marital home of author-screenwriter Victoria Foyt and film director Henry Jaglom sold for $23 million, one of the most expensive transactions historically for the Westside community.

Set behind walls and antique gates, the 3.3-acre compound known as Villa Ruchello was used as a location for the film “Beverly Hills Cop” as well as a short-term home for members of Fleetwood Mac and British singer-songwriter Lily Allen.

Some 14,000 square feet of space is divided between an eight-bedroom main house, a two-bedroom guest house and a two-bedroom gatehouse. There are 12.5 bathrooms in all.

Outdoors, park-like grounds contain mature trees, gardens and a swimming pool with a series of cabanas.

Billy Rose, Edward Fitz and Santiago Arana of The Agency were the listing agents. Myra Nourmand of Nourmand & Associates Beverly Hills represented the buyer.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

this is the house Mick and Christine were living in. That stairway in the foyer is where the band photos were taken. Not too shabby.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Atlanta Journal Constitution by Vicki Griffin, July 25, 2015

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/c...rts-opt/nm5SH/

Community Voices: Roswell offers bounty of arts options

While in Atlanta for a concert at the Phillips Arena, Mick Fleetwood, founding member and drummer of Fleetwood Mac, took time to talk a little about the other artistic passion in his life, his photography. Fleetwood was exhibiting some of his photography at the Ann Jackson Gallery in Roswell. He took time off to show and discuss some of his photography collection in an exhibit called “Reflections.” Photo courtesy of MickFleetwoodOfficial.com

The art of John Lennon and Mick Fleetwood recently rocked the Roswell private art scene, with music fans, local art patrons, and curious passersby packing the Ann Jackson Gallery to peruse the rock icons’ paintings and photos. More than a few pulled open purses to purchase the works. Tempting though the credit incentives of zero percent interest offers were, too many needs on the home front outweighed Lennon’s handwritten lyrics of “Drive My Car,” and the twisting limbs of Fleetwood’s “Medusa,” to allow me to take anything other than memories home.

The loosely organized First Friday Art Walks encourage a stroll, at your own pace, through the historic district. It’s a chance to check out the wares in the local galleries, most open later than usual, just for the occasion. Even those familiar with the area will find the maps available on the city’s website to be a helpful guide for the walks, showing the locations of the participating galleries.

And now, those of us of legal drinking age are permitted to take the walk with our complimentary wine in hand.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an NME article about going back again]

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/s...ould-go-either

Christine McVie

Contrary to the sage advice of 'Rumours' cut 'Never Going Back Again', Christine McVie rejoined Fleetwood Mac in 2014. She had initially quit the band in 1998, which she later explained as being down to having developed a fear of flying. Fortunately, a combination of pyschotherapy and seeing her old bandmates perform convinced her to rejoin, and the shows since she got the full band back together have been a joyous vindication of her decision.
Read more at http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/s...IbkxcdYZF7l.99
Old 07-31-2015, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stuff.Co.NZ by LETITIA ROWLANDS August 1 2015

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/pa...nge-obsessions

Some toddlers have unexpected musical tastes, like the little girl who loves Fleetwood Mac.

"(She) knows all the band members, yells out 'guitars Lindsay' during the guitar solos and 'Mick drums'," her mum said.

"I randomly catch her singing Go Your Own Way, or 'Go Away', as she calls it."