Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Hold me"

Anyone else's favorite Fleetwood Mac song? Does anyone have any cool like behind the scenes information or trivia about the song (writing, recording etc.) and music video like more details than the Wikipedia page?

Last edited by Wdm6789; 03-22-2014 at 05:13 PM..
Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Have you seen the youtube videos about the behind the scenes of the making of the Hold Me video?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'd say it is my favorite of their studio productions. I like the songs that have a lot of Christine and Lindsey collaboration. There was a radio interview around the time the Mirage album came out, where the interviewer asked who did the deep voice ("come on and..") in the song, and Christine said that it was Lindsey's voice which had been recorded on a sped-up tape and then played back at normal speed.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Have you seen the youtube videos about the behind the scenes of the making of the Hold Me video?

I have seen the one with just Stevie, are there more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOfTheDragon View Post
I'd say it is my favorite of their studio productions. I like the songs that have a lot of Christine and Lindsey collaboration. There was a radio interview around the time the Mirage album came out, where the interviewer asked who did the deep voice ("come on and..") in the song, and Christine said that it was Lindsey's voice which had been recorded on a sped-up tape and then played back at normal speed.

I would like if the beginning of the song was longer, maybe one more short verse, before all the chorus, it could have been a four minute song.

But even with all that repetitive chorus, I never get tired of it. It shows what a great craftsman Lindsey was with putting together the songs. I think that in Lindsey and Christine's songs the lyrics are more simple like its part of the music, like another instrument, they might have a few songs that are more poetic, or have a message behind it like some of their stuff on Rumours, but that's what Stevie's songs were like. Stevie's were more poetic and usually had a deep meaning or story along with it.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not my favorite by a long shot, but I LOVE McVie's bass lines on that song.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Eh, I'm glad most people love this song and are even able to call it their favorite Mac song ever, but for me it doesn't even make my top 20 of just Christine's songs even. Probably my least favorite "hit" next to everywhere.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 03-22-2014, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Eh, I'm glad most people love this song and are even able to call it their favorite Mac song ever, but for me it doesn't even make my top 20 of just Christine's songs even. Probably my least favorite "hit" next to everywhere.
I can't even give it that. At least "Everywhere" has a classic Brit pop sound.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It just sounds so nice. I have not heard the live version from the Mirage tour back in 1982 and I really want to hear how they did Hold Me live.

I love the music video too, very 1982. Did anyone have the privilege of living back then? Wasn't Hold Me a big hit on the radio and MTV?

Last edited by Wdm6789; 03-22-2014 at 11:59 PM..
Old 03-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Ditto. I thought I was the only one.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^I always enjoyed it. But, oddly, rarely consider it when I think of Fleetwood Mac songs. In my mind, it conjures up the early MTV age, so I associate it more with Men at Work, Madness, The Tubes, and other high-rotation staples of that channel in the early years.

I do love the song, and think it was deservedly the first hit from the record. But "Gypsy," also a mega video-hit, always occupies a more prominent place in my thoughts of Fleetwood Mac songs.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
^^^I always enjoyed it. But, oddly, rarely consider it when I think of Fleetwood Mac songs. In my mind, it conjures up the early MTV age, so I associate it more with Men at Work, Madness, The Tubes, and other high-rotation staples of that channel in the early years.

I do love the song, and think it was deservedly the first hit from the record. But "Gypsy," also a mega video-hit, always occupies a more prominent place in my thoughts of Fleetwood Mac songs.

They still play Hold Me on one of the classic rock stations where I live, the good classic rock station that plays The Beatles and The Doors and Pink Floyd, not the crappy one that plays more arena rock.

Gypsy is great also, one of my favorites. But I always have to listen to the extended version, Lindsey's guitar solo is amazing. I think it's my favorite one.

Last edited by Wdm6789; 03-23-2014 at 11:18 AM..
Old 03-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Senior Ledgie

It's ok. Kind of cheesy and way to repetitive
Old 03-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the Hold Me video, and I do think the song is great too. Its just not one of those songs that I can listen to very often.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hold Me and Gypsy were great follow up Singles/Radio hits/MTV videos in 1982 to follow up Tusk. These two songs were HUGE and many of the Tusk na Sayers came back to the Mac.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
It just sounds so nice. I have not heard the live version from the Mirage tour back in 1982 and I really want to hear how they did Hold Me live.
To be honest, it's not that great live. I think the technology simply didn't exist in '82 to faithfully recreate the sound onstage. And Lindsey barking "YEAH!" didn't help matters.

Quote:
I love the music video too, very 1982. Did anyone have the privilege of living back then? Wasn't Hold Me a big hit on the radio and MTV?
LOL! I did have the privilege, but I was still a bit too young to remember much. I often wish I were 10 yrs older only so that I could've enjoyed more of the Mac in their heyday...