User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
My thought of "Come" when it was released, and seeing it performed live a handful of times, was that it wasn't a good showcase for LB because the sentiment of 'think of me every time you don't come' seemed very bitchy coming from a 50-something hetero (exclusively, I assume) man.
In his 20s, it very well may have seemed kind of witty along the lines of 'packin up shackin up's all you wanna do'-- which was amusing to me, as a child (!!)
But coming from him at 52 or 53, I thought, 'how unevolved, bitter, and tedious'-- The snippy, gay side of me would want Stevie (or whoever he is singing this to!) reply to 'think of me every time you don't come' with 'well, my crystal balls are still crystal, yours must have gray hairs all over them by now!'
It is bitchy and immature, but what exactly does his heterosexuality have to do with that? I've been sitting here trying to figure it out, and the only explanations I can imagine are as follows:

1. Well, if a gay man said it, it would be fine, but...
or
2. Women don't come, so what the heck is he even talking about?

Please, fill me in on the right answer.
You're so like me
Old 08-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I read Anne Heche's book and I don't think Lindsey was even a blurb on her sexual meter. She seems to have no gripe against him. In fact, I thought there was sweetness in the couple of pages that talk about him, the way he didn't tell her who he was on the plane. He seemed like an endearing, humble guy. But I don't think he impressed her in bed in the least and if she's ever going to be thinking back on someone with regret when she finds herself sexually unsatisfied, I think the last person she'll be remembering is Lindsey!

Now, if Ellen ever wanted to sing those words, I think Anne would feel that Ellen had justification, because she described that as just the most mindblowing thing that she had ever experienced.

As far as Lindsey talking about her sexuality, from what Anne wrote, she wasn't with a woman when she was with Lindsey or directly after him either. So, if Lindsey was writing about that, it was after the fact.

Michele
I really want to be you.
You're so like me
Old 08-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy4life View Post
This song is just...WRONG..makes me feel all creepy crawly. I hate it.
I'll second that emotion. This song seems to be an example of the "broad range" of material Lindsey wanted to showcase on Say You Will. What Lindsey might consider is that people would eagerly accept a song of a far out style so long as the song itself is good. Quality of song is paramount. Style is secondary. I have no problem with Murrow, and no huge problem with Miranda. This Is The Time from Out Of The Cradle is masterful. But Come is awful, if we must get right down to it.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never really been a fan of this song, at ALL- if I'm being totally honest!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this song. When that chorus kicks in I just love it every single time. I love the pitched up vocals. I love John's bass line and Mick's drumming. I love the creepy atmosphere. I love just about everything about it except the guitar tone of the guitar solo which I wish was ever so slightly less treble-y. It was a highlight of the GOS tour shows that I saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I also played it for my headbanger friends, & they thought it was wussy -- a totally miscalculated attempt at sounding metal or grunge. It didn't work for them at all. They didn't believe an ounce of it.
Well I'm a headbanger (or used to be) and my musical taste started growing from the likes of Black Sabbath, Rainbow (the early stuff), Rush, Whitesnake etc. as well as some much more extreme, heavy stuff (Cathedral, Candlemass etc.) and I love Come. It's a favourite of several of my friends who also are/were headbangers.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I agree. I think it's trashy -- from a guy who always has a criticism to make of others in the band when he thinks they have done something trashy.

The song is vulgar, & also creepy.
I also played it for my headbanger friends, & they thought it was wussy -- a totally miscalculated attempt at sounding metal or grunge. It didn't work for them at all. They didn't believe an ounce of it.
I regularly listen to Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Masters of Reality, Kyuss, AC/DC, Queens Of The Stone Age, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, Eagles Of Death Metal and Sonic Youth. To my ears it is not an attempt on heavy metal, but a search for a more explosive hardedged modern rocksound.
And he succeeded in that bigtime. I love it. I LOVE it. Although I must admit that the dynamics of the song work better live. But hardedged rock ALWAYS does.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Registered

"1. Well, if a gay man said it, it would be fine, but...
or

Please, fill me in on the right answer."- wrote Willow

Well, I didn't mean the second reason you have listed. I don't know precisely; Michele touched on it in her reply, like he's giving himself too much credit, yet the flip side of the coin is that the lyric actually insults himself, unintentionally- like he could never satisfy her, so whenever she doesnt come, think of him, because she never would come with him, either! Though I'm certain that wasn't the intention.
Your #1 reason listed -well, no that wouldn't be 'fine' either- I'd just understand it more- I just don't think (?) 50 something men speak or sing to women in that way, the sentiment still seems bitchy to me, two men being bitchy kind of makes 'sense to me' or perhaps even a woman to a man or to another woman. Just that line from a not young man to any woman doesn't ring true to me. Like someone else commented, it's almost like trying too hard to be lyrically avant-garde and it just rang untrue to me. (and bitchy)

Last edited by Nikolaj; 08-21-2009 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: the "i" thing, again.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"1. Well, if a gay man said it, it would be fine, but...
or

Please, fill me in on the right answer."- wrote Willow

Well, I didn't mean the second reason you have listed. I don't know precisely; Michele touched on it in her reply, like he's giving himself too much credit, yet the flip side of the coin is that the lyric actually insults himself, unintentionally- like he could never satisfy her, so whenever she doesnt come, think of him, because she never would come with him, either! Though I'm certain that wasn't the intention.
Your #1 reason listed -well, no that wouldn't be 'fine' either- I'd just understand it more- I just don't think (?) 50 something men speak or sing to women in that way, the sentiment still seems bitchy to me, two men being bitchy kind of makes 'sense to me' or perhaps even a woman to a man or to another woman. Just that line from a not young man to any woman doesn't ring true to me. Like someone else commented, it's almost like trying too hard to be lyrically avant-garde and it just rang untrue to me. (and bitchy)
A young person(not that I know how old you are) might not believe it , but a man of any age would talk like this to a woman(or another man). Just not as openly per say as a younger guy would. I've heard from ladies who work in nursing homes telling me that a man's horniness and sexual advances happen even in their nineties. Ooh, heaven forbid!
Many young ladies on this site profess their lust for Lindsey. Do you think they would want to hear him talk like this?
Just for the record though, I don't care for this song and wish he left it off of SYW. AND he should have insisted the title of the album be Steal Your Heart Away.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey is an intelligent man. If you guys think that he insults himself unintentionally with that sentence, well than you all take it to literal. He also refers to God with "she". He's playful with this lyric people, and funny.

Last edited by shackin'up; 08-21-2009 at 08:51 AM..
Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just don't think (?) 50 something men speak or sing to women in that way, the sentiment still seems bitchy to me, two men being bitchy kind of makes 'sense to me' or perhaps even a woman to a man or to another woman. Just that line from a not young man to any woman doesn't ring true to me. Like someone else commented, it's almost like trying too hard to be lyrically avant-garde and it just rang untrue to me. (and bitchy)
I'm not sure that age completely takes the snark out of anyone.

What's always been funny to me is that no one -- not even Stevie who loves to complain -- ever says anything about Second Hand News. It's like the music is fun, so it doesn't matter what the words are. But I don't think the sexual words are that much different than the words in Come.

I think the song refers to Anne Heche's belief that she was God-- at least one of her split personalities was. And I think the last lines about falling to sleep in an enemy bed and waking up hurting from the things they said probably -- if it pertains to real life at all -- relates to a relationship Lindsey had with someone else, which lasted longer and was more studded with trouble and pain than his encounter with Heche was.

Michele
Old 08-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, like Michelle pointed out, the whole lyric it all was very ironic / even sarcastic. In that light the lyric has humour.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Granted I figured this song was slightly sexual in nature, i'm trying to figure out what the heck this song has to do with being gay? I'm a lesbian and the concept of homosexuality has not crossed my mind with the song!

Old 08-22-2009, 04:09 PM
cbBen
This message has been deleted by cbBen.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Lindsey is an intelligent man. If you guys think that he insults himself unintentionally with that sentence, well than you all take it to literal. He also refers to God with "she". He's playful with this lyric people, and funny.
Of course! I just didn't get it before. He hadn't make her come when they were together so, when the problem resurfaces now, he immediately springs to mind. It is very much intentionally referencing the singer's inability to make this woman come, which is really no insult to Lindsey at all given the sexual orientation of his female lover, as we understand it to be.

So the song is not a poor man's "Silver Springs," and I must now evaluate further. My criticisms are rescinded.

An example of how rewarding these discussions can be!
Old 08-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
Granted I figured this song was slightly sexual in nature, i'm trying to figure out what the heck this song has to do with being gay? I'm a lesbian and the concept of homosexuality has not crossed my mind with the song!
It has been suggested that the song's inspiration, at least in part, was a former lover of Lindsey's who later revealed herself to be homosexual.

Last edited by cbBen; 08-22-2009 at 04:20 PM..
Old 08-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Mmmh well, if people want to complain about that being immature why don't they complain about Stevie and Lindsay still writing songs about each other like what 30 years after breaking up?! I still can't wrap my brain around that, other then I think they still have feelings for each other. Idk, i think although it's a bit more personal to supposedly be writing a song about the girl you didn't please sexually!