Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
His speech was nothing short of brilliant. He got right to the point and showed that yes, there is a big difference between these two parties.
Sorry, I'll respond when I stop laughing.
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl
I watched the Democratic National Convention tonight, Bill Clinton finally came on about 10:30 to an enormous response...as he walked out none other than Dont Stop played for a good 30 secs... "if you wake and dont wanna smile.." it was a great feeling....and I personally (although some will disagree, thats ok) felt on overwhelming positive and optimistic feeling coming from politicians I have never felt in my life...and having Fleetwood Mac music along with that made it all the better...wow

Chris
I totally agree. I got all warm and fuzzy last night while I watched the convention. It kinda depressed me because it reminded me of what we once had and then I got to thinking about our country at the present. It was disheartening, but the positive theme of the convention is amazing. This is the best convention I've ever witnessed and it sure is energizing.

I just got in Boston this morning, so expect lots of coverage from my sorry ass.

Addicted Ledgie

I can't remember the exact quote, but when he said something to the effect of "strength and wisdom are not opposing ideals" in regard to the war in Iraq and terrorism, I wanted to do a victory dance.

It was an amazing speech. If he can't run again, couldn't he at least be vice-president?? ;-)
Old 07-27-2004, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl
nevertheless he had some great points....
Enlighten us. What were they?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
His speech was nothing short of brilliant. He got right to the point and showed that yes, there is a big difference between these two parties.
President Carter was quite effective as well.
It was brilliant and it was genius for him to make that remark about how he and Bush dodged service. My jaw dropped. And Carter was devastating.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:18 AM

Quote:
President Clinton left the Oval Office with over $1million in legal bills from the Ken Starr witch hunt. He's never had any real money to speak of in his life and has finally managed to accumulate some through his book deal and speaking engagements post presidency.
This I agree with. You know, if he'd had enough money to pay a discreet hooker who didn't go blabbing to a friend, his presidency might have been saved.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
This I agree with. You know, if he'd had enough money to pay a discreet hooker who didn't go blabbing to a friend, his presidency might have been saved.
In the eyes of the American people, there was nothing wrong with his presidency. His approval rating upon leaving office was higher than Ronald Reagan.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I liked that part too. I thought he gave a great speech - one of his best, and that is saying a mouthfull. Interestingly, as much as he bitched about the tax cut, I but he still took it In fact, I know of no one who refused it or anyone who pays more than they have to pay Alas, the hypocrisy of America
The hypocrisy of America is that the country bitches about being taxed too much, when in all actuality, America is the second LEAST taxed country in the world.

And if we don't know what Clinton did with his tax cut, we shouldn't assume.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I am just saying it is typical of Americans, esp. liberal ones, to bitch and moan about the poor never getting a break and how unfair and tilted toward the so called rich the current tax cuts are, yet everyone I know took whatever tax cut they got. I know no one at all who said I refuse to take this tax cut because it is unfair, although I really think it is unfair and will lambaste the evil R and D's who voted for it. So, I am not faulting Clinton or anyone else in the slightest for taking the tax cut they got - I certainly did. I am just pointing out all of our (everyone got a tax cut) hypocrisy. I mean if Clinton was so worried about the $5,000 he mentioned that would have paid for the airport security devices, why didn't he get a bunch of other rich people together and send they all refuse $5,000 worth of the tax cut. I mean if it was that important to him . . . . But, you and I both know that is not the way it works. People bitch and moan about how unfair the tax cuts are and how evil the oligarchs are who grant them, but no one refuses them and certainly no one sends more money than they have to to the IRS at tax time. Such is American Life.
I love how you just make a blanket statement about how liberals used their tax cuts. You really don't know what the majority of people who got a significant tax cut did with them, so why bother? You don't know what Bill did with his, what Hillary did with hers, what Ben Affleck did with his, or what Whoopi did with hers. It's all speculation and rather absurd to say that liberals just took the money for themselves. When it came to my tax cut, everything I got from Bush's voodoo economic policies went to the ACLU and AIDs research. I feel pretty good that I actually spent money on helping AIDs, unlike this administration.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
It was brilliant and it was genius for him to make that remark about how he and Bush dodged service. My jaw dropped. And Carter was devastating.
He was brilliant and that was esp. brilliant. I esp. loved his comment about being jealous of Edwards' charisma

The man can give a speech. Even Scarborough, who was with Chris Matthews and a few others, was like THAT is why conservatives are confounded by Bill C. He then praised Clinton and then SHOCKINGLY praised Kerry. SCARBOROUGH said Kerry's Vietnam experience proved he could act under pressure and that he would trust Kerry in the WH due to that. My jaw hit the floor as did everyone on the panel. In fact, Chris M. was like did you just say what I think you said

Have fun at the convention!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-27-2004, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I love how you just make a blanket statement about how liberals used their tax cuts. You really don't know what the majority of people who got a significant tax cut did with them, so why bother? You don't know what Bill did with his, what Hillary did with hers, what Ben Affleck did with his, or what Whoopi did with hers. It's all speculation and rather absurd to say that liberals just took the money for themselves. When it came to my tax cut, everything I got from Bush's voodoo economic policies went to the ACLU and AIDs research. I feel pretty good that I actually spent money on helping AIDs, unlike this administration.
I never commented on how anyone used their tax cuts. I commented on the fact that no one refused them - yet they bitched about them. Please read before lambasting

Old 07-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
How do you know he didn't

For the record, I loved BC and I wish he was still the President. But, that does not mean he is not a lying philanderer - it just means I could care a less about that

Old 07-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He was brilliant and that was esp. brilliant. I esp. loved his comment about being jealous of Edwards' charisma

The man can give a speech. Even Scarborough, who was with Chris Matthews and a few others, was like THAT is why conservatives are confounded by Bill C. He then praised Clinton and then SHOCKINGLY praised Kerry. SCARBOROUGH said Kerry's Vietnam experience proved he could act under pressure and that he would trust Kerry in the WH due to that. My jaw hit the floor as did everyone on the panel. In fact, Chris M. was like did you just say what I think you said

Have fun at the convention!!!!!!
I will!

I employed the v-chip for the first time last night on MSNBC. It was unapologetic GOP whoring and it turned me way off. The things Tweety was saying infuriated me and Andrea Mitchell proved herself to be quite stupid about politics. Chippaquidick, eh?

Turn off GE News and watch C-SPAN!

Old 07-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For the record, I loved BC and I wish he was still the President. But, that does not mean he is not a lying philanderer - it just means I could care a less about that
Agreed. I want the Big Dawg back. Or Hillary. Hell, even Chelsea.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never commented on how anyone used their tax cuts. I commented on the fact that no one refused them - yet they bitched about them. Please read before lambasting

Gimme a break, my liberal juices are flowing at an alarming rate. Glenn Close is staying at my hotel, for cripes sake.

I have to rest before I go out, because I stayed up all ngiht watching the speeches, then had to drive here this morning and driving freaks me out. I am determined to be a delagate in '08, too.