Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The ultimate fantasy box set of live recordings

After thinking how Tom Petty's Live Anthology box set was such a great gift to his fans -- 61 songs spanning his entire career, including rare performances. I thought how great it would be if Fleetwood Mac did the same thing -- I know this will never happen, but I can dream, can't I? The Doors did something similar, but used entirely bootleg recordings. Hence, the sound quality was varied, but the surviving members decided to showcase the best, rare and unique bootlegs --ones that were not professionally recorded. They essentially bootlegged the bootleggers.

Here is how I loosely envision a Fleetwood Mac anthology circa 1975-2010. They aren't in any particular order, just mostly by era. Let me know if I am missing any songs -- these are all the songs they performed. I didn't include Fireflies or One More Night because they never performed those songs in concert, so there are no other versions except the studio-enhanced ones on the Live album. I nixed the rehearsal (attempt) of Straight Back, because it's obvious they didn't develop it the point of consideration for the set list (like The Ledge was). I'm not aware of any other songs, similar to The Ledge, that were rehearsed, in the set list and dropped from the set before the tour began, and were never performed again. (I Know I'm Not Wrong was one of them for a long time...then they performed it!) I didn't include the Time version of the band because...I'm at a loss for words.

Having just listened to Christine McVie's solo album, I wish the Billy/Rick version of the the band would have done some of those songs. Billy featured on So Excited. Rick featured on One in a Million. I wish they never would have performed Stand Back or Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You. I don't like that Stand Back has now become a standard Fleetwood Mac song! eeh

Get Like You Used to Be
Oh Well
Green Manalishi
Rattlesnake Shake
Stop Messing Around
Jumping at Shadows
I Loved Another Woman
Station Man
Sunny Side of Heaven
Spare Me a Little
Believe Me
Frozen Love
Don't Let Me Down Again
Why

Rhiannon
Landslide
Over My Head
I'm So Afraid
Monday Morning
World Turning
Blue Letter
Second Hand News
Go Your Own Way
Never Going Back Again
Don't Stop
World Turning
Say You Love Me
Oh Daddy
Gold Dust Woman
Songbird
Dreams
Silver Springs
The Chain

Over and Over
Think About Me
The Ledge - rehearsal only
Brown Eyes
Sara
Storms
Beautiful Child
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Sisters of the Moon
Angel
Tusk
Not That Funny
Save Me a Place
That's Enough for Me
What Makes You Think You're the One

Gypsy
Love in Store
Hold Me
Eyes of the World
Big Love
Seven Wonders
Go Insane
Everywhere
Isn't it Midnight
Little Lies
Tear it Up
When the Sun Goes Down
In the Back of Your Mind
Save Me
Stand on the Rock
Love is Dangerous
Stand Back
Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You

Temporary One
My Little Demon
Sweet Girl
Bleed to Love Her
Say You Will
Destiny Rules
What's the World Coming To
Red Rover
Goodbye Baby
Running Through the Garden
Come
Peacekeeper
Say Goodbye
Farmer's Daughter

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-26-2011 at 09:13 PM..
Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very cool. Now the question for all these songs...from which show, and which tour!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailatixela View Post
Very cool. Now the question for all these songs...from which show, and which tour!
That would be the extemely challenging, most contested part! But this is all just speculation. I just wanted to compile a list of all the songs they have performed. I'm not taking anyone to task!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-26-2011 at 07:59 PM..
Old 06-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Given that BN and some solo are on there, I'd like to add Ebony Eyes. That live show with Stevie blows my mind everytime. Cal Jam!!

Also, Sentimental Lady and Come a Little Bit Closer.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post
Given that BN and some solo are on there, I'd like to add Ebony Eyes. That live show with Stevie blows my mind everytime. Cal Jam!!

Also, Sentimental Lady and Come a Little Bit Closer.
I agree...great performance from Stevie, but that was in the context of a Bob Welch concert. The Buckingham Nicks song Don't Let Me Down was first performed by Fleetwood Mac in 1975 (and is featured on the LIVE album). Frozen Love was peformed once by Fleetwood Mac at an outdoor festival around 1976. That's why they are on the list. Were Sentimental Lady and Come A Little Bit Closer ever performed (from 1975 onward) by Fleetwood Mac? .

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-26-2011 at 08:20 PM..
Old 06-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Looks like a pretty complete list to me. Nice work!! Thanks for making that list.

Not "taking you to task" either, just a comment. Since "Stand Back", "Go Insane" and "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You" are essentially "solo" hits that have been incorporated into the FM set over the years, I'd suggest leaving them out if we want a "Fleetwood Mac" live anthology.

As far as the "Time" line up is concerned, as much as many don't like it, it is a portion of the Mac history, and something should be included, again if we're looking for a complete live anthology. There's got to be a set list from that brief era somewhere that includes live material performed from that CD and not just that line-up's versions of the standards.

I also think it would be just awesome to include a version of "In The Back Of My Mind" that bleeds over into "The Chain" as performed when Rick and Billy were with the band. That was just awesome performed live, I loved it!

The Petty anthology is awesome!!!! His version of "Oh Well" is pretty great too!!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool idea

I wish that boxset some day, but with a CD4 (or 5) with exclusively songs never been played live before.. so Tango in the Night would be finally there!!

(yes, they would have to play a special gig for those songs, including Christine. A dream, I know)
Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
Looks like a pretty complete list to me. Nice work!! Thanks for making that list.

Not "taking you to task" either, just a comment. Since "Stand Back", "Go Insane" and "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You" are essentially "solo" hits that have been incorporated into the FM set over the years, I'd suggest leaving them out if we want a "Fleetwood Mac" live anthology.

As far as the "Time" line up is concerned, as much as many don't like it, it is a portion of the Mac history, and something should be included, again if we're looking for a complete live anthology. There's got to be a set list from that brief era somewhere that includes live material performed from that CD and not just that line-up's versions of the standards.
If Fleetwood Mac played the song, it should be included, hence "Stand Back", "Go Insane" & "HAEWAFY" should be included, it's not like those were only played once or twice, they were played throughout an entire tour. (and in "Stand Back"'s case, for multiple tours)

Speaking of "leaving things out"...it's not a comprehensive "Fleetwood Mac Live Anthology" if you don't include material from '67-74, as well.

The concert set played on 10/15/94 (by what has since been referred to at the Time lineup):

The Chain
You Make Loving Fun
Dreams
Oh Well
All Along the Watchtower
The Bigger the Love
Blow By Blow
We Just Disagree
Gold Dust Woman
Only You Know and I Know
World Turning
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Say You Love Me
Don't Stop
Go Your Own Way

{encores}
Tear It Up
Imagine
Old 06-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=chiliD;996720]If Fleetwood Mac played the song, it should be included, hence "Stand Back", "Go Insane" & "HAEWAFY" should be included, it's not like those were only played once or twice, they were played throughout an entire tour. (and in "Stand Back"'s case, for multiple tours)

Speaking of "leaving things out"...it's not a comprehensive "Fleetwood Mac Live Anthology" if you don't include material from '67-74, as well.

The concert set played on 10/15/94 (by what has since been referred to at the Time lineup):

Oh Well

Never heard of it.....
Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
If Fleetwood Mac played the song, it should be included, hence "Stand Back", "Go Insane" & "HAEWAFY" should be included, it's not like those were only played once or twice, they were played throughout an entire tour. (and in "Stand Back"'s case, for multiple tours)

The Chain
You Make Loving Fun
Dreams
Oh Well
All Along the Watchtower
The Bigger the Love
Blow By Blow
We Just Disagree
Gold Dust Woman
Only You Know and I Know
World Turning
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Say You Love Me
Don't Stop
Go Your Own Way

{encores}
Tear It Up
Imagine
Thanks for listing those! They also performed Dreaming the Dream in some shows. My original concept was stated for Anthology from 1975 onward. I think a Blues era anthology is an entity unto itself. In that vein, perhaps a "middle" period anothogy is in order too!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-27-2011 at 10:17 PM..
Old 06-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Cool idea

I wish that boxset some day, but with a CD4 (or 5) with exclusively songs never been played live before.. so Tango in the Night would be finally there!!

(yes, they would have to play a special gig for those songs, including Christine. A dream, I know)
In an alternate universe perhaps. How can songs that have never been performed exist in live format? Do you have special alien powers?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I was conflicted about the inclusion of those songs. Just like you stated, they are so much associated as solo hits. Same goes for Dave Mason's solo hits, where the remnants of Fleetwood Mac are reduced to being a back-up band. In a way, I wish they never included them in their sets. It's like messing with the seperation of church and state.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-27-2011 at 10:12 PM..
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I was conflicted about the inclusion of those songs. Just like you stated, they are so much associated as solo hits. In a way, I wish they never included them in their sets. It's like messing with the seperation of church and state.
I agree. It's always kind of bugged me that FM included 'Go Insane' on their very best of, too. I feel like it gets confusing.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

The Chain
You Make Loving Fun
Dreams
Oh Well
All Along the Watchtower
The Bigger the Love
Blow By Blow
We Just Disagree
Gold Dust Woman
Only You Know and I Know
World Turning
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Say You Love Me
Don't Stop
Go Your Own Way

{encores}
Tear It Up
Imagine

You make an excellent point ChiliD. I agree. If they played it, just like Petty, it should be included. We especially agree on the inclusion of the '67 - '74 material as well! The B/N line up would not have been part of Fleetwood Mac if the prior personnel hadn't been there to first off create Fleetwood Mac, and secondly to keep it going in its various incarnations.

That being said, I guess we'd need to have "Blow By Blow" as the "Time" contribution. It seems odd though that they didn't perform not one other song from that CD live. None of those other songs were on "Time". "The Bigger The Love" was Billy's from a solo project and also appeared on John's 1-off CD with Lola Thomas singing.

Are there any other set-lists that include other material from "Time" that could be chosen from? Not a huge fan of the CD, but "Blow By Blow" certainly isn't the 'be-all-and-end-all" from it to be sure.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are there any other set-lists that include other material from "Time" that could be chosen from? Not a huge fan of the CD, but "Blow By Blow" certainly isn't the 'be-all-and-end-all" from it to be sure.
At later shows they did "Dreaming The Dream" in place of "Imagine".

And, from what I've heard about the original aborted Another Link In The Chain album, Billy's "The Bigger The Love" was recorded for the album.