The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Its so awesome to have a great quality version of Gypsy. I hope it stays up for a long time. Like Dodfather, a better "Love Shines" video would be great, too.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We were talking on YouTube about the differences in the extended version of Gypsy that's on The Chain box set and the one from the video and I know we've talked about the differences before but in this video with the new cleaned up audio I noticed something interesting. I noticed it a long time ago, actually, but forgot all about it. If you listen really carefully to the video mix right after Stevie sings "Your bright eyes, I can't find you" you'll hear Lindsey's guitar fading in. It's very faint. But in the Chain mix the guitar starts cold on the beat, it doesn't fade in at all. I have to say the video mix will always be my favorite, even with the nice extended version on The Chain.

Here's another little Gypsy tidbit, I had a copy of Mirage on CD with a little booklet that had the lyrics and they had the background vocals printed in parenthesis. It shows (lightning strikes, maybe once maybe twice) and at the end it had (she was just a wish, she was just a wish) I remember back in the day wondering why they printed that because it wasn't in the song. So when The Chain came out I heard that background part for the first time and was so excited by it. I wonder if they had planned for a longer mix to go on the album originally.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Gypsy, all three versions, esp the extended cut from The Chain. (which I recently purchased from amazon uk.) Good question about what version was intended for the album. Wondering too, is the single version the ablum or video cut?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
I know we've talked about the differences before but in this video with the new cleaned up audio I noticed something interesting. I noticed it a long time ago, actually, but forgot all about it. If you listen really carefully to the video mix right after Stevie sings "Your bright eyes, I can't find you" you'll hear Lindsey's guitar fading in. It's very faint. But in the Chain mix the guitar starts cold on the beat, it doesn't fade in at all. I have to say the video mix will always be my favorite, even with the nice extended version on The Chain.
From the sounds of the track in the video, it is definitely the same as The Chain boxed set, but it sounds like they just EQ-ed the low end and the high end to me. The bass line and drum work seems to be much more prominent in the song than before. I could be wrong...
Old 08-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I love Gypsy, all three versions, esp the extended cut from The Chain. (which I recently purchased from amazon uk.) Good question about what version was intended for the album. Wondering too, is the single version the ablum or video cut?

I haven't heard the single version in ages but I recall that it went from the oohs and ahs at the end, cut a few of the "lightning strikes" and "bright eyes" verses but included "your bright eyes, I can't find you" going into the guitar solo. I think the guitar solo was either the edit from the album version or faded out even sooner. I can't recall. I'd be interested to know if the guitar solo faded in like the video or came in cold like the extended version. Does anyone have an mp3 of the single mix? I don't even have the 45. I had heard it back in college when I did college radio. I played it on my radio show and was shocked at the difference in the ending, but I never went looking for a copy for myself.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
For the first time I noticed the dancer in the white suit jacket is the same dancer(Brad Jeffries) from the Stand Back video.
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that's guy who starred in ZZTop's Sharp Dressed Man video.
-
Old 09-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Joanie Hunt of Blinded by Sounds lists the 5 songs that defined the eighties for her.

http://blindedbysound.com/post/viewp...ichael-jackson

1. ) "Gypsy" - Fleetwood Mac. For this Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac lover, I don't think there's another 80s song that defines what the band or what Stevie meant to me over the years. I could have gone for something off one of her solo albums, but then I'd have an even longer list. As I toss back my long blonde hair (still, again, whatever), I can imagine myself in front of the mirrored closet in my parents' room, wrapping scarves around me so they could float and billow about as I twirled and twirled for hours while no one else was home. So I could become the gypsy "that I was."
Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Gorgeous!!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

that is such a clean video, its great
Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I love Gypsy, all three versions, esp the extended cut from The Chain.
Me too. And the Mirage CD sound sucks so I've tried to "rescue" all Mirage songs available at GH, The CHain, The Very best.. etc and "build" my own Mirage album in the ipod. Unfotunately not all songs are in other albums so the volume and sound is not equal from song to song.