Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmmmm....ok.....here goes...

DISCLAIMER: This is as of this very moment, could change at any time:

(no particular order)

ANY Beatles album...for me, they transcend music.

The Allman Brothers Band - Live At The Fillmore East
The best live album ever released...THIS is what the ABB is all about, being on stage, playing the blues, mixing in lengthy jazz improvisation....doesn't get to much better than this for "white boy blues".

Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs
Eric Clapton's anguish....and it comes through the music.

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
That "Lil' Ol' Band From Texas" at their best before the beards & MTV made them caracatures of themselves

Little Feat - Dixie Chicken
Solid from song to song....no filler anywhere...also could substitute their Sailin' Shoes, Feats Don't Fail Me Now, or Last Record Album albums here, as well...all are equally strong.

(tie) Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue & Dave Brubeck - Take Five
When I want to get away from rock, I head for two the greatest jazz albums ever recorded

The Motels - All Four One
Like with Little Feat, strong throughout, could also substitute their prior album Careful here, as well. "I never knew mercy could feel this way....."

Concrete Blonde - Walking In London
Could've named any of their albums, but this one doesn't have a skippable song, the others have at least one.

The Rolling Stones - Steel Wheels
Kind of a toss up between this & Exile On Main St or Sticky Fingers, but this one just kind of came out of the blue...didn't think the Stones still had a studio album this strong still in them at the time.

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
Jimi's best...while he was alive....just wonder what he would've released had he lived...there was a whole lot of great material that was left unfinished that was hastily released just after his death...even CDs such as Voodoo Soup & First Rays Of The New Rising Sun give a glimpse, but who knows how that material would've been presented had Jimi been able to complete the process.

Can't go without mentioning:

The Who - Live At Leeds (Deluxe Edition)
Loved this album when it first came out, but thought it was too short, then MCA released an expanded version which was awesome...then they released the entire show...THAT version is the closest rival to the Allman's Fillmore album

The first five Led Zeppelin albums...and to a slightly lesser extent Physical Graffiti...material so good that I just can't stand to listen to it anymore due to radio airplay overkill as well as listening to their albums on my own. Thought Presence sucked and never really liked them after that.

The albums during the initial go-round of Steely Dan...from Can't Buy A Thrill through Gaucho...not a "filler" track in the bunch.

and you'll probably have noticed that no Fleetwood Mac or related albums were mentioned...intentional. Discussed those here ad nauseum, so no need to mention them again.