Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStevie View Post

Agreed. Even with a new album, it's a fantasy Chris will make a huge difference to the current FM sound except what she can add to their vocal blend. No, the back up singers aren't going anywhere. They're still needed with or without her. She's a 70 year old woman! Her voice can't be much better than Stevie's or Lindsey's when stretched across a full set and a long tour. She hasn't done an album in nearly a decade and only performed live a couple of times in very brief appearances since 1998. All the people who expect her to be the savoir for this "stale act" masquerading as FM the past 15 years...
I think you are going to be very surprised by what Mme. McVie will bring to the table. I've seen her many a time with this band and I think I'm going to be surprised too. You Make Loving Fun indeed.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStevie View Post
Agreed. Even with a new album, it's a fantasy Chris will make a huge difference to the current FM sound except what she can add to their vocal blend. No, the back up singers aren't going anywhere. They're still needed with or without her. She's a 70 year old woman! Her voice can't be much better than Stevie's or Lindsey's when stretched across a full set and a long tour. She hasn't done an album in nearly a decade and only performed live a couple of times in very brief appearances since 1998. All the people who expect her to be the savoir for this "stale act" masquerading as FM the past 15 years...
The part where she's the savior of the "stale act" is the fact that the ENTIRE SHOW won't be about Stevie and Lindsey now. Having her lead vocal and having her songs will be a MAJOR difference.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The part where she's the savior of the "stale act" is the fact that the ENTIRE SHOW won't be about Stevie and Lindsey now. Having her lead vocal and having her songs will be a MAJOR difference.
ABSOLUTELY. I am heartily fed up of the approach taken these past ten or so years, where the focus has been on Stevie and Lindsey and there has been no real feel of it being the Fleetwood Mac I fell in love with. It was, as has been said a lot, often as though it was BN with a very good rhythm section, and that's OK. The band I loved was a fivesome which balanced itself out, and I can't wait to hear and see it again.

To BN fans, I say that the chance has been there since 2003 for them to get their act together and sort that old project out. I just don't see that there was the will to do it, but they still could do something, whatever it might be; I just don't much care, for myself. I like Lindsey and Stevie, but I have had too much of them by themselves of late.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that on most of the Stevie or Lindsey songs they did live from 03-13 from the Rumours-Mirage era they just about got away with it being a fair (if matured) representation of the Mac from that period for 2/3 of their live show from way back. Sure, I wanted to be able to hear Chris on backing vocals for Rhiannon, the Chain, Beatiful Child and the like, and to have heard her working away on the keys for GYOW and GDW would have been great, but it wasn't to be. I also really enjoyed SYW, although a careful pruning of 4 or 5 songs might not have hurt too much. It was different, but still the Mac and that's what I love about this band- hell, I spend too much of my time listening to a 10 hour playlist of 155 songs from every album and iteration they've ever produced from 1967.

It was still fine, if not great when Stevie took over her parts on the only two Chris songs they performed on each of the three tours. I might be alone in this, but I quite enjoyed the playfulness of SYLM when they did it in 09.

So they've always dealt with loss right from 1970, sometimes better than others, and for a variety of reasons. I'm ecstatic that Chris, at 70(!) wants to do this again and having her extra dimension again will be fantastic. What a way to go out if this lineup can hold together until at least the 50th anniversary in 2017.