The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-18-2004, 08:39 AM
joe

(this is really in response to DR being dropped...and i really still can't accept them dropping some good songs from the "new" setlist)

i was just thinking that the fact that they ignore songs in their catalog makes it seem like those songs aren't as good as the "elite" ones that get performed...it's sort of like their own subliminal way of brainwashing us into liking certain songs. i know this sounds whacked but i really think
that it's a cause and effect type of thing.

let me explain....when "destiny rules" was dropped and i listen to the madison bootleg, although it sounded good to me, i feel guilty for liking it because it would eventually be dropped. In other words when i'm listening to it now i'm thinking "it's not really that great cause it only lasted 2 shows on this tour." They're not selling me on the new song(s) because they're ignoring them. I think this actually could hurt new record sales. Or "don't let me down again" "really does suck cause it was booted after the first show." The whole issue makes me NOT want believe in them because they didn't believe in themselves to be truthful about their music and stick it out despite fearing that maybe a particular song didn't get off to a good start. DLMDA has been dormant for 17 years...you can't just expect it to be brilliant the first night you perform. They've completely sold out in my opinion.

you know, they spent about 2 years in the studio working on songs: singing, harmonizing, all the other mechanics, etc...they finally get the song to where they want it after all is said and done they just leave it on a shelf to collect dust and never be performed live. I guess i'm thinking more about Stevie since she's only done 2 songs from the new album that are permanent fixtures in the set. She doesn't give anything else a chance (DR or RTTG). Lindsey's been more enthusiastic. You would think that after spending so much time they would be excited and enthusiastic about presenting it to a live audience.

I think scenarios like these are what's hurting the music industry. Just like classic rock radio only recognize "hotel california" or "follow you follow me" (genesis) as the only songs those bands are worthy of despite their enormous catalog. Why bother making albums if you're only going to be remembered for a handful of songs?

it's not that difficult to decide NOT to go to a new show this time around. I never thought i'd actually turn down a chance to see them not only once but upwards of 4 times in the next few weeks.

Last edited by joe; 05-18-2004 at 08:56 AM..
Old 05-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Maybe the supermarkets should raise the price of a dozen eggs to $10. After all, they can, they're only human, and they love money. Christ, it's obvious that the ticket prices are going to be pricey, but they don't even lower them in markets they've already hit. That smacks of greed.
Well obviously you have not gone grocery shopping in Manhattan recently! ;-)

I have read this (very) long thread and I find it interesting how FM is compared to all of these jam bands like the Dead, Allman Brothers, etc. when FM is really all about tight 3 to 4-minute perfect pop songs. Even performers like Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, etc., who tend to have varying set lists from night-to-night, have jam band-like qualities. And one big distinction here is that none of these performers are as meticulous in the studio as Lindsey. And jamming, with all of its inherent sloppiness and looseness of structure, is the diametric opposite of what Lindsey and FM are all about.

Although the term has been mercilessly dragged through the mud in recent years, I think the term "diva" can be safely associated with Stevie. By definition (in the pop culture sense anyway), diva performers are in full control and command of the stage and are perfectionists by nature. As such, you have to respect that Stevie wants to give us a flawless, consistent performance every night, even if it means giving up a lot of the spontaneity. And in hindsight, Stevie is probably also reacting to some of the shenanigans she pulled onstage during her coke days; although she gave some very inspired performances, vocally she was often off-key, raspy and downright inappropriate at times. In a sense she is probably overcompensating to maintain an even keel these days.

And let's face it... still being one of the biggest touring acts in the world after 30 years is no accident. They didn't get to where they are today by giving spontaneous, sloppy performances every night. They have given consistently musically compeling performances that are tight, powerful and appeal to the casual fan and the diehard fan alike. We are extremely lucky to have FM back on the road in good health and good spirits. So stop all yer sobbin!
Old 05-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great point HejiraNYC....makes a lot of sense

Also I think it can be assumed that the band realizes that MANY of the people at their shows have no idea that the set isn't spontaneous, nor do they care...Sure Lindsey notices the people who are around his mic night after night, and certainly is aware that some people do follow them around...but I think they believe (Whether it's true or not) that the majority of the people seeing the show will be seeing this set for the first time...

Chris
Old 05-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC
I have read this (very) long thread and I find it interesting how FM is compared to all of these jam bands like the Dead, Allman Brothers, etc. when FM is really all about tight 3 to 4-minute perfect pop songs. Even performers like Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, etc., who tend to have varying set lists from night-to-night, have jam band-like qualities. And one big distinction here is that none of these performers are as meticulous in the studio as Lindsey. And jamming, with all of its inherent sloppiness and looseness of structure, is the diametric opposite of what Lindsey and FM are all about.
You're absolutely right, & you & I are having a Maalox moment or something because I was going to post this very thought yesterday, but life or something got in the way. But that's probably what made Fleetwood Mac so thrilling in times past, the way they subverted their own massively popular image as a smooth soft-rock outfit in which all the pieces snapped into perfect -- & rather bland -- place. They perform nowadays in a way that emphasizes that image rather than yanks it around.
Quote:
In a sense she is probably overcompensating to maintain an even keel these days.
Yes, there's something psychological driving her to keep it toned down. It isn't her age, it's her mind. Regardless of its cause, I just don't feel it's an aesthetic victory for her or the audience.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Well obviously you have not gone grocery shopping in Manhattan recently! ;-)

FM in it's early days was a jam band. Anytime you can play a ten minute guitar solo numerous times during your set, you are certainly capable of being a "jam band" IMO.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just don't understand where "spontaneous" & "sloppy" are deemed synonymous. I've seen MANY spontaneous performances that were FAR from being sloppy.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Anytime you can play a ten minute guitar solo numerous times during your set, you are certainly capable of being a "jam band" IMO.
Come, So Afraid, World Turning, GYOW to an extent.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 05-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
This is disjointed. There are many, many bands out there that have nothing to do with being a "jam-band" that change their setlists around night after night. Just because Buck/Nicks isn't considered a "jam-band" doesn't mean that they have to play the same, boring, rigid setlist every f**king night for a year. There can be a happy medium- especially considering the huge catalog that FM has to pick from.

Quote:
As such, you have to respect that Stevie wants to give us a flawless, consistent performance every night, even if it means giving up a lot of the spontaneity. And in hindsight, Stevie is probably also reacting to some of the shenanigans she pulled onstage during her coke days; although she gave some very inspired performances, vocally she was often off-key, raspy and downright inappropriate at times. In a sense she is probably overcompensating to maintain an even keel these days.
I don't think lack of spontaneity = flawless. I think lack of spontaneity = boring. I'd rather have the risk of watching Stevie coked out of her gourd, and maybe get the kind of performance like "Sisters of the Moon" from the Mirage tour, than KNOW that I'm going to get robotic staging and canned speeches. It really isn't too much to ask, considering the amount of money paid for each ticket.

Last edited by The Tower; 05-18-2004 at 04:38 PM..
Old 05-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't believe you can callthe band does on stage ROBOTIC. They may repeat things over and over but saying robotic makes it sound so danmed boring. I can't look at them on stage and think robotic. I like to think of it as High energy repitition.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 05-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
I'd rather have the risk of watching Stevie coked out of her gourd, and maybe get the kind of performance like "Sisters of the Moon" from the Mirage tour, than KNOW that I'm going to get robotic staging and canned speeches. It really isn't too much to ask, considering the amount of money paid for each ticket.
Excuse me, but is this risk your choice to make?! This is Stevie's LIFE we're talking about here.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
I like to think of it as High energy repitition.
I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that this made me laugh. Are you sure you're not in politics?

- Jake