Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Oh, also on The Dance, Stevie looks at Christine, winks and shakes her finger at her during one song. It always cracks me up.
I think Stevie really really misses Christine.. They were like family.. and when your sister leaves you and you still have to chug along without her.. that probably put a shadow on her heart... The guys miss her too, but guys can be too self absorbed sometimes to show tap into that type of emotion..
Old 11-22-2009, 12:43 AM
WelshWitchPMD
This message has been deleted by WelshWitchPMD.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

I know this is a bit off topic, but since it's a Lindsey and Christine thread...

Does anybody get the feeling that Lindsey was actually really pissed off at Christine when she decided to leave the group?? There has just always been a tone in his voice the few times he's talked about it that makes me feel he took it very seriously (i.e. the few seconds he talks about her in the destiny rules dvd). And I forget where/when, but Mick once said in an interview regarding Say You Will that everyone in the group had approached Christine to ask her to reconsider 'Even Lindsey' - which also makes me feel he wasn't too happy with her when she left. My thinking is that he was really interested in continuing the Dance tour and doing studio work soon after, but when Christine left it put an end to that...

Maybe it's just me, but does any body else get that impression???

Old 11-22-2009, 03:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
I know this is a bit off topic, but since it's a Lindsey and Christine thread...

Does anybody get the feeling that Lindsey was actually really pissed off at Christine when she decided to leave the group?? There has just always been a tone in his voice the few times he's talked about it that makes me feel he took it very seriously (i.e. the few seconds he talks about her in the destiny rules dvd). And I forget where/when, but Mick once said in an interview regarding Say You Will that everyone in the group had approached Christine to ask her to reconsider 'Even Lindsey' - which also makes me feel he wasn't too happy with her when she left. My thinking is that he was really interested in continuing the Dance tour and doing studio work soon after, but when Christine left it put an end to that...

Of course he'd be angry, in fact he'd be FUMING
We all know what Stevie and Lindsay did when he left in 87'!
Old 11-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It's odd if he was cross with Christine for leaving when he did exactly the same thing 10 years earlier. At least Christine gave them fair warning she was going. I think Christine was the only one able to stand up to Lindsey musically and although he enjoyed the "freedom" he had on Say You Will i.e. the lack of some bossy woman disagreeing with him I think the album needed Christine's influence. I think it's too long with just the two voices

I think Christine stops some of Lindsey's excesses (good thing) and Lindsey pushes Christine slightly farther than she wants to go (another good thing)

Gail
Old 11-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
although he enjoyed the "freedom" he had on Say You Will i.e. the lack of some bossy woman disagreeing with him
Um, have you heard of Stevie Nicks??

I think Lindsey was cool with Christine leaving. He seemed almost overjoyed at the prospect of having the opportunity to change things up under the Fleetwood Mac banner. He pointed out that it enabled he and Stevie to "finally" do what they wanted to do "25 years ago".

If Lindsey was under the impression Christine's role needed to be filled, he would have hired Sheryl Crow. It's obvious to me they were testing the waters there - she's on a couple of songs on SYW. And, I think the Stevie-Lindsey-Sheryl harmonies were pretty good actually. If you're looking to fill the third in a more obvious way than the backup girls.

Before I get flamed, I'm not saying Sheryl can hold a candle to Christine, merely she was more than adequate to fill Christine's shoes.

Last edited by CADreaming; 11-22-2009 at 10:24 AM..
Old 11-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
It's odd if he was cross with Christine for leaving when he did exactly the same thing 10 years earlier. At least Christine gave them fair warning she was going. I think Christine was the only one able to stand up to Lindsey musically and although he enjoyed the "freedom" he had on Say You Will i.e. the lack of some bossy woman disagreeing with him I think the album needed Christine's influence. I think it's too long with just the two voices

I think Christine stops some of Lindsey's excesses (good thing) and Lindsey pushes Christine slightly farther than she wants to go (another good thing)

Gail
I totally agree with your last comment. Musically they were the two strongest members in the group (not to dismiss mick and john, but chris and lindsey knew their ****). I do agree that Lindsey enjoyed his 'freedom' a lot during say you will...however I've always gotten the impression that although he can do more with christine gone, he's aware of the void that is left. Had Christ decided to stay The Dance tour could have gone for much longer...there could have been a whole new chapter in Fleetwood Mac's history. I've always gotten the impression that Lindsey knows this and at one point (mostly before say you will and during) it really made him upset.

And yes, I agree with the whole lindsey doing exactly what christine did thing. This is why it bugs me that he goes along with the 'no recording no touring' policy. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge lindsey fan however if this is the mantra of the band it's a huge contradiction.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And yes, I agree with the whole lindsey doing exactly what christine did thing. This is why it bugs me that he goes along with the 'no recording no touring' policy. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge lindsey fan however if this is the mantra of the band it's a huge contradiction.
The "policy" must have been put in place after Lindsey left in '87, in order to avoid the very thing that happened - being forced to have stand-ins. I'm not saying Billy and Rick aren't talented - but it's obvious they weren't Lindsey. In that regard, and given his disdain for the lineup, Lindsey himself probably instigated 'no touring, no recording' as an apology of sorts for leaving them in such a lurch.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Um, have you heard of Stevie Nicks??

I think Lindsey was cool with Christine leaving. He seemed almost overjoyed at the prospect of having the opportunity to change things up under the Fleetwood Mac banner. He pointed out that it enabled he and Stevie to "finally" do what they wanted to do "25 years ago".

If Lindsey was under the impression Christine's role needed to be filled, he would have hired Sheryl Crow. It's obvious to me they were testing the waters there - she's on a couple of songs on SYW. And, I think the Stevie-Lindsey-Sheryl harmonies were pretty good actually. If you're looking to fill the third in a more obvious way than the backup girls.

Before I get flamed, I'm not saying Sheryl can hold a candle to Christine, merely she was more than adequate to fill Christine's shoes.
OK point taken. I think he was quite pleased to have only one bossy woman disagreeing with him. My point (not very well made I grant you) was that Lindsey took Christine seriously musically. I don't think he has ever given that same respect to Stevie

Gail
Old 11-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I totally agree with your last comment. Musically they were the two strongest members in the group (not to dismiss mick and john, but chris and lindsey knew their ****). I do agree that Lindsey enjoyed his 'freedom' a lot during say you will...however I've always gotten the impression that although he can do more with christine gone, he's aware of the void that is left. Had Christ decided to stay The Dance tour could have gone for much longer...there could have been a whole new chapter in Fleetwood Mac's history. I've always gotten the impression that Lindsey knows this and at one point (mostly before say you will and during) it really made him upset.
Yes, I think he felt hurt by Christine leaving. He said he is the one she talked to about wanting to go during The Dance tour and he said he totally knew how she felt, even though the others did not, because he'd been there himself. He said the others weren't too happy with him for supporting Christine wanting to leave.

Yet, when 2003 rolled around, I think he was upset, disappointed hurt. In one interview Stevie said Lindsey decides whether he wants to be in the group or not and then they all say "yes" or "no." She said Christine said "no." The way Stevie worded this, it gave the impression that Christine said "no" to Lindsey personally, which is ridiculous. But I think this is a bit how Lindsey felt.

I think there was distance between Lindsey and Christine after 2003. Mick said he was listening to Lindsey and Chris talk on the phone when he realized that Chris probably wasn't coming back. I think there was a little estrangement --I'd like to hope maybe there was a bit of coming together during the Wembley shows.

Of course, I think Lindsey also enjoyed having 33% more room on tour. That was fun for him. In the studio, I think Lindsey resented some of the "room" that Christine's piano took up. I don't think she ever stopped him from doing anything musically. But I think that having to incorporate both piano/keyboards and guitar took his music in another direction, which he may have felt was sometimes constraining.

I don't think Christine ever bossed him around. In fact, I think she often sided with or yielded to him musically, in a way that made it easier for him to boss Stevie around. Stevie always said that Lindsey was the boss in the studio in those days and I think it's because the others always took his side. With Christine gone, things are more 50/50 between Stevie and Lindsey and Mick and John are less likely to side with him over her, because if she walks out, they lose FM as a whole. So, to me, Lindsey had more power with Christine there than he does going head to head with Stevie -- at least he does off stage. On stage, he gets more with Christine gone. Although even so, he had Go Insane/Big Love and ISA during the Dance tour. I can't say for a certainty that he wouldn't have had Come with Christine there too, but probably not.

Michele
Old 11-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What about Stevie, I wonder if she backfired like when Lindsay left. From what I have heard that was one nasty fight!
Old 11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, I think he felt hurt by Christine leaving. He said he is the one she talked to about wanting to go during The Dance tour and he said he totally knew how she felt, even though the others did not, because he'd been there himself. He said the others weren't too happy with him for supporting Christine wanting to leave.

Yet, when 2003 rolled around, I think he was upset, disappointed hurt...
I think there was distance between Lindsey and Christine after 2003. Mick said he was listening to Lindsey and Chris talk on the phone when he realized that Chris probably wasn't coming back. I think there was a little estrangement --I'd like to hope maybe there was a bit of coming together during the Wembley shows.

I don't think she ever stopped him from doing anything musically. But I think that having to incorporate both piano/keyboards and guitar took his music in another direction, which he may have felt was sometimes constraining...

With Christine gone, things are more 50/50 between Stevie and Lindsey and Mick and John are less likely to side with him over her, because if she walks out, they lose FM as a whole....

Yes, he obviously felt FM's sound as a whole was going to be confining to him from the very beginning. He said the FM sound did not incorporate the "strings" like the BN sound.

Honestly, I can't see why he would be upset though by 2003 about Christine not coming on board. If he was supportive of her decision in 1997, why would he backpeddle? Unless, she decided not to be involved by refusing to submit any new material due to the 'no touring, no recording' policy...which does make sense. It's not like Stevie and Lindsey would be able to perform new Christine McVie songs in a live setting without her...

Mick actually sides with Lindsey a lot. Or at least he lets Lindsey think so...

John just seems to want to let "them" fight it out.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I am sure that Linds and Christine slept with each other sometime during the 70s. Drugs, hurt feelings from losing their signifisant others and long nights spend at the studio, both fascinated by the talent of the other and the way their voices blended. It didn't mean anything. Everyone shared body fluids back then.

But - there is this interview in the german "Guitar Player" from 87/88. For my dear life I cannot find it since I moved all my stuff, but Lindsey explained that he left FM because Christine asked him to, because she was going to get married. He agreed because he just couldn't stand not being with her anyway. I don't know if the interview really take place (somehow I doubt it) but it WAS written in this paper, I swear.

In that train of thought - I just realized that Christine left the band when Lindsey became a father. That can't be coincidence.

I DO believe that Lindsey admired Christines talent as a songwriter and musician far more than he could ever admire Stevies qualities as a poet. And I doubt that Christine took him as seriously as he would have liked her to.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick actually sides with Lindsey a lot. Or at least he lets Lindsey think so...
I don't think Mick can side with Lindsey as much now, for fear that Stevie will just walk. She wasn't going to walk away no matter how many times they outvoted her before 1987. At this point in time, if he took her side over Lindsey's and said, "that's the way it is" (double album SYW example), then she can just nix the project altogether. While Stevie always could potentially have walked away in the old days when all 5 of them were there, I don't think Mick ever thought she would.

I think Stevie and Lindsey make the decisions now. In the past, Christine, Mick and Lindsey did.

Michele
Old 11-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't think Mick can side with Lindsey as much now, for fear that Stevie will just walk. She wasn't going to walk away no matter how many times they outvoted her before 1987. At this point in time, if he took her side over Lindsey's and said, "that's the way it is" (double album SYW example), then she can just nix the project altogether. While Stevie always could potentially have walked away in the old days when all 5 of them were there, I don't think Mick ever thought she would.

I think Stevie and Lindsey make the decisions now. In the past, Christine, Mick and Lindsey did.

Michele
Ok, yeah. I see what you mean. True.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ok, yeah. I see what you mean. True.
I always thought John was the quite one