The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:06 AM

5 Reasons Why ‘The Americans’ is the Best It’s Ever Been This Season

The Americans is one of the most quietly relevant shows on television, but not necessarily on purpose. The series took on a new meta-level importance with the election of Donald Trump, whose tenure has been marred by his ties to Russia, an ever-growing scandal that could eventually be his undoing. On The Americans, it’s the 1980s, our protagonists are KGB spies, and the Soviet Union is about to collapse. The relationship between Russia and America is the story’s central tête-à-tête; Philip and Elizabeth Jennings (played by the marvelously underrated Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell, who should be bathing in Emmys by now) have spent five seasons deeply undercover, raising children and assimilating into suburban consumerism unchecked.

But in the season six premiere, which aired last night, there is a foundational change in the show’s status quo, and the mounting feeling that it will all soon come to a head.

The show hasn’t been flashy about its suddenly hot-for-commentary storylines. There are no cutaways to Vladimir Putin as he prepped for his role in the Saint Petersburg administration, or to Trump as his real estate business skyrocketed its way to Forbes covers. In general, The Americans is subtle with its brilliance; the pacing is never traditional, with big reveals dropping mid-season, sometimes mid-episode. Things are rarely convenient, and fan service barely exists. It’s also ripe with MacGuffins; Philip’s Russian son, for instance, was introduced as an obstacle, but then receded into the show’s linear notes, and is probably gone forever. And that’s life – sometimes we never learn about things we should, and sometimes answers are better left as questions.

The Americans understands this on a fundamental level, and that’s part of why its so magnificent. Yes, there is exciting spy stuff – wigs and guns and fast cars – but there is mostly pain, contemplation, and the mirage of familial order. Its sixth and final season, of which I have seen the first three episodes, is the show at its absolute best, emotionally and plot-wise. Here’s a run-down of storylines set up in the premiere that have set up what should be a triumphant grace note.

Elizabeth is closer to the brink of collapse
She was always the Jennings spouse with the most steadfast faith in Mother Russia, but this season is tempting Elizabeth’s drive. With Philip taking a sabbatical from spy work, Elizabeth has doubled-up on assignments. Years of devotion and hard work have landed her in a precarious spot; on a top-secret mission in Mexico, General Kovtun from Strategic Rocket Forces clues her into operation “Dead Hand,” which will trigger an automated strike on the U.S. if Soviet leaders are killed in an attack. Elizabeth needs to find out if Mikhail Gorbachev – the controversial leader of the Soviet Union – plans to trade knowledge about Dead Hand with the Reagan administration in exchange for ending the U.S.’s “Star Wars” missile-defense program. No one can know about this mission; not Philip, not even her KGB supervisor Claudia. Kovtun also gives Elizabeth a necklace containing a cyanide tablet, which she’s instructed to use on herself should she get caught.

Elizabeth regards the cyanide with a look of temptation. She’s exhausted from her extra work, she knows her home country is morphing into something unrecognizable under Gorbachev’s rule, and the weight of this new intel is dragging her marriage and sanity through the mud. Like the ricin in the final season of Breaking Bad, the poison looks like a ticking time bomb. But is it that, or merely another of the show’s clever misdirections? Is Elizabeth actually suicidal, or is she merely curious about what freedom death might offer? It’s sure to be an ongoing question this season.

Philip’s new role is incentivizing him in new ways
Philip, anxious about his spy work and its effect on his psyche, is officially out of the game this season. (Or so he thought – more on that in a bit.) Instead, he’s devoted to his travel agency, which has boomed in business in the show’s brief time jump. The office is new and expanded, their cliental is growing, and Philip is suddenly the sort of boss who makes passionate speeches about business protocol. He’s a little manic about it, but the work suits him; this is Philip as he always wanted to be. He even goes line dancing!

But he knows his decision to step out of the KBG has been hard on Elizabeth, and the guilt is sneaking up on him. He catches her secretly sucking down cigarettes, hears the sadness in her voice when she admits that she wishes she could go to their son’s hockey games. He’s torn apart by the implications of their mutual choice – Elizabeth was, after all, the one who convinced him to quit – and how what was meant to save their family might fracture it irreparably.

Their marriage is tested in a new and complicated way
The real gut-punch comes with Oleg’s re-arrival in the United States. He is sent by Arkady, now the deputy chief of Directorate S, to convince Philip to spy on Elizabeth. The KGB knows she’s working with Kovtun, and wants to know why. This sets the stage for a Mr. and Mrs. Smith type of story thread through season six. Will Philip oblige, effectively un-retiring from the KGB to work against his wife, or will he note the danger and step away? If he chooses to help, he’d work his way into Soviet good graces, but damage his family and relationship with Elizabeth forever. And Elizabeth is competitive and carnal; there’s no telling how she’d react if Philip betrayed her trust. Maybe the cyanide pill is for him, after all.

Paige is a full-on spy now
It’s probably unethical to root for an innocent teenager’s turn to the dark side of the KGB, but I think I speak for everyone when I say: holy ****, Paige is official a spy in training! Philip and Elizabeth’s daughter, who found out about her parent’s true identities two seasons ago, is now working with her mother on small missions, and learning about Soviet culture. She seems to genuinely enjoy it, but she’s also unaware of how dark KGB work can get. For instance, when Paige flubs part of a mission by giving her I.D. to a security officer who flirts with her, Elizabeth secretly stabs the man to death later that night. Paige doesn’t know her parents sleep with other people, kill, and manipulate to get their information. She still sees it as humanist work. But her proximity to her mother, and growing curiosity, are early indicators that this will probably change. And what will happen when it does?

The music is better than ever
This is a fun one, but holy cow that soundtrack. The premiere episode opens with a montage set to Crowded House’s “Don’t Dream It’s Over” and the selection only gets better from there. Elizabeth’s meeting with Kovtun is scored by Peter Gabriel’s “We Do What We’re Told,” which, as Scott Tobias notes in his recap for Vulture, was inspired by Yale professor Stanley Milgram’s controversial obedience study, called Experiment 18, which used the insinuation of high-voltage shocks to scare subjects into correctly answering a memory test. The song plays while Kovtum spells out the intricacies of Dead Hand and her mission; as Tobias writes, “The use of Gabriel’s song over Elizabeth’s Mexico trip is not even subtext. When we hear the chorus, ‘we do as we’re told’ repeated, that’s text.”

The Americans is full of great musical notes that carry complexity beyond pure sonic pleasure. But it’s also just-plain fun sometimes. Almost every season has a standout Fleetwood Mac mic drop, and the premiere has its best yet: a montage set to “Gold Dust Woman,” with Stevie Nicks’ husky voice slipping over Philip’s psyche like one of her famous black shawls. “Rulers make bad lovers, you better put your kingdom up for sale,” she sings, and it’s a taunt as much as a rhythm.

The episode also makes good use of the Talking Heads’ “Listening Wind,” and the next two episodes keep on with some of the best and most evocative tracks of the 70s and 80s. It will be fascinating to see what tunes might orchestrate the inevitable fall of the U.S.S.R. and the dissolution – or whatever the next step is – of the Jennings family. As long as it’s not “Blueberry Hill,” we should be good.

https://www.slashfilm.com/americans-season-6/
Old 03-31-2018, 05:10 AM
SisterNightroad
This message has been deleted by SisterNightroad.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The use of Gold Dust Woman in The Americans final season premiere the other night was fabulous. It was erie and like the other songs in the show, played without any dialogue. Some serious sh=t is going to go down this season. Also the opening with Crowded House's Don't Dream It's Over was just superb. They should win an Emmy for that.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:05 PM
gldstwmn
This message has been deleted by gldstwmn. Reason: duplicate
Old 04-05-2018, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They’ve already used Tusk and The Chain. I was pumped to hear GDW.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
They’ve already used Tusk and The Chain. I was pumped to hear GDW.
Same here. Also, Never Make Me Cry would be good on that show.

I loved the season prem. Going to miss this show.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Same here. Also, Never Make Me Cry would be good on that show.

I loved the season prem. Going to miss this show.
Excellent show. Goes right next to X-Files and Fringe as one of my top #3 tv shows of all time. I hope the finale is satisfying.

If we’re being fair, then a Christine song does have to show up, to even things out. Although I don’t vote for Never Make Me Cry.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Excellent show. Goes right next to X-Files and Fringe as one of my top #3 tv shows of all time. I hope the finale is satisfying.

If we’re being fair, then a Christine song does have to show up, to even things out. Although I don’t vote for Never Make Me Cry.
Sooner or Later?
Old 04-24-2018, 05:35 AM

Vanessa Carlton Reveals Cover Of Fleetwood Mac's 'Dreams'

Vanessa Carlton continues her cover series with the release of her take on the Fleetwood Mac classic "Dreams", which is the second of six planned tribute tracks she plans to release.

Her version of "Dreams" follows last month's release of her rendition of Robyn's "Call Your Girlfriend". She had the following to say about this new cover song:

"This song is epic. I feel like a lot of people don't attempt to cover Fleetwood Mac because the personality of these songs are so distinct. I admit, I was terrified to do this, but I sang 'Dreams' on stage at a BMI event honoring Stevie Nicks. I was 7 weeks pregnant at the time. No one knew. I got to sing the song with Stevie's band, which was pretty great.

"Waddy Wachtel, the musical director gave me 'the nod' during rehearsal. Which, I think meant he approved. Or, at least, I'm praying that's what it meant." Check it out here.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/18/Apr...s_Dreams.shtml
Old 05-02-2018, 07:27 AM

Fleetwood Mac Dominates Monday Best-Selling Events

Fleetwood Mac completely dominated yesterday’s best-selling events list for the band’s upcoming 2018 North America tour, according to sales data from Ticket Club.

Last week, the legendary group announced the tour, which will kick-off on October 3 and run through April 2019. However, this time, longtime guitarist Lindsey Buckingham will not join them, and instead, will be replaced by former Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and Crowded House frontman Neil Finn. Aside from Fleetwood Mac — which stole 12 spots of the 20 best-selling events — Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kid Rock, & Jason Aldean, Ozzy Osbourne & Stone Sour, and Kendrick Lamar, SZA & Schoolboy Q also made the list due to ongoing and upcoming tours.

The football game between the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears clocked in at No. 4 on the list, followed by NBA Conference Semifinal games Boston Celtics v. Philadelphia 76ers and Houston Rockets v. Utah Jazz. Baseball made an appearance for the classic rivalry game between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox this June, along with the UFC match where Stipe Miocic and Daniel Cormier will face off this July.

Click on any of the links below to find tickets to the best-selling events, or visit ticketclub.com to search for any other upcoming events and find tickets with no service fees for members.

Ticket Club Top 20 Best–Selling Events April 30, 2018
  1. Fleetwood Mac (Sunday, March 24, 2019 at Royal Farms Arena — Baltimore, MD)
  2. Fleetwood Mac (Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at Legacy Arena at The BJCC — Birmingham, AL)
  3. Fleetwood Mac (Saturday, March 9, 2019 at Boardwalk Hall Arena – Boardwalk Hall — Atlantic City, NJ)
  4. Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears (Sunday, September 9, 2018 at Lambeau Field — Green Bay, WI)
  5. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kid Rock & Jason Aldean (Sunday, September 2, 2018 at TIAA Bank Field — Jacksonville, FL)
  6. Fleetwood Mac (Saturday, February 9, 2019 at Frank Erwin Center — Austin, TX)
  7. NBA Eastern Conference Semifinals: Boston Celtics vs. Philadelphia 76ers – Home Game 2 (Thursday, May 3, 2018 at TD Garden — Boston, MA)
  8. Fleetwood Mac (Friday, November 23, 2018 at Golden 1 Center — Sacramento, CA)
  9. Fleetwood Mac (Monday, November 5, 2018 at Air Canada Centre — Toronto, ON)
  10. Fleetwood Mac (Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at Little Caesars Arena — Detroit, MI)
  11. Fleetwood Mac (Monday, March 11, 2019 at Madison Square Garden — New York, NY)
  12. NBA Western Conference Semifinals: Houston Rockets vs. Utah Jazz – Home Game 2 (Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at Toyota Center – TX — Houston, TX)
  13. New York Yankees vs. Boston Red Sox (Saturday, June 30, 2018 at Yankee Stadium — Bronx, NY)
  14. Fleetwood Mac (Friday, April 5, 2019 at Wells Fargo Center – PA — Philadelphia, PA)
  15. Fleetwood Mac (Friday, March 15, 2019 at XL Center — Hartford, CT)
  16. Fleetwood Mac (Sunday, March 31, 2019 at TD Garden — Boston, MA)
  17. Fleetwood Mac (Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at Talking Stick Resort Arena — Phoenix, AZ)
  18. Ozzy Osbourne & Stone Sour (Thursday, August 30, 2018 at PPL Center — Allentown, PA)
  19. UFC 226: Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier (Saturday, July 7, 2018 at T-Mobile Arena — Las Vegas, NV)
  20. Kendrick Lamar, SZA & Schoolboy Q (Saturday, May 5, 2018 at White River Amphitheatre — Auburn, WA)

https://www.ticketnews.com/2018/05/f...elling-events/
Old 05-04-2018, 07:57 AM

NOBODY EVER REALLY REUNITES

A segment of rockdom wailed and gnashed its teeth when the Eagles returned to the road without the late Glenn Frey. But the sad truth is, nobody ever really reunites.

From Guns N' Roses and Journey to the Rolling Stones and Van Halen, there are scarcely any bands touring with all of their original members. What about U2, you say? They don't count because they've never broken up and never replaced a band member.

More typical is a band like Styx, who are missing somebody, or the Electric Light Orchestra – who are missing almost everybody. The classic-era lineup of Fleetwood Mac tried to get back together in the late '90s, but inevitably ended up working without Christine McVie, then Stevie Nicks and then Lindsey Buckingham over the years.

You wouldn't know it from all the complaining fans do, but this, in actuality, is the norm. Members grow tired of the road, or – quite simply – tired of one another. Some version of the old lineup gets back together, but without that one guy who used to drive them nuts. Or the one member who died. They do a one-off show, but can't keep it together on the road – much less record new music. Fans are left, over and over, to wonder what might have been.

This doesn't just impact the old-guard classic rock bands, either. Newer acts like the Replacements and Smashing Pumpkins have staged partial reunions too. As you'll see in the following list, nobody ever really reunites.

Guns N' Roses
A long-hoped-for reunion tour in 2016 found Slash and Duff McKagan joining Axl Rose onstage, but not fellow co-founding members Izzy Stradlin and Steven Adler. Latter-era contributors Dizzy Reed, Richard Fortus and Frank Ferrer remained.

Eagles
The Eagles had long since said goodbye to founding members Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner. Not even the death of Glenn Frey could stop them, however, as the group retooled with Vince Gill and Deacon Frey, Glenn's son.

Led Zeppelin
The death of John Bonham has forced Led Zeppelin to look elsewhere for drummers on those rare occasions when they get back together. Tony Thompson, Phil Collins and Jason Bonham – John's son – have served as subs.

Styx
Co-founding guitarist James "J.Y." Young has been leading a Styx lineup featuring longtime member Tommy Shaw and other newcomers since the 1999 exit of singer Dennis DeYoung. Original bassist Chuck Panozzo still occasionally sits in.

Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath's last two tours began as a reunion for the co-founding quartet, before a very public split with Bill Ward. He never found his way back to the drum chair, not even as a one-off guest, before Sabbath retired from the road.

Journey
Without Steve Perry since the late '90s, Journey eventually rebuilt the rest of the Escape / Frontiers-era lineup around replacement singer Arnel Pineda. Even a Hall of Fame nod failed to get Perry back onstage with them.

Pink Floyd
A one-off appearance of Pink Floyd's classic-era lineup at Live 8 in 2005 followed fractured tours in which the band toured as a threesome under the leadership of Roger Waters and then David Gilmour. Unfortunately, they never got back together again.

Foreigner
The current Foreigner lineup, save for remaining '90s-era multi-instrumentalist Thom Gimbel, began coalescing around original guitarist Mick Jones in the '00s. Since then, they've had only a handful of one-off reunions with co-founders like Lou Gramm.

Beach Boys
The surviving Beach Boys seemed to have finally healed decades of rifts when they reunited in 2012. Then controversy erupted again as Brian Wilson departed. He later recruited ex-members Al Jardine, Blondie Chaplin and David Marks for his own band.

Creedence Clearwater Revival
John Fogerty's ugly split with CCR has led to competing bands, as bassist Stu Cook and drummer Doug "Cosmo" Clifford continued forward with Creedence Clearwater Revisited beginning in the mid-'90s. Lawsuits, but no reunions, have followed.

AC/DC
The band fell apart in 2014-16, as Malcolm Young retired, Phil Rudd left, Brian Johnson was sidelined and then Cliff Williams retired. Stevie Young, Chris Slade and Axl Rose ended up subbing in before Williams' departure.

The Band
The Last Waltz wasn't anything of the sort. The Band, in fact, got back together a few years later, only without Robbie Robertson. They continued after Richard Manuel's death too, before Rick Danko and Levon Helm both died.

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Surviving members Gary Rossington, Ed King, Leon Wilkeson, Artimus Pyle and Billy Powell initially mounted a revival with Johnny Van Zant, younger brother of original singer Ronnie Van Zant. Eventually Rossington was the only original left.

Grateful Dead
Despite a number of key losses, the Grateful Dead managed to mount a reunion of surviving members in 2015 before splintering again. Phil Lesh then began working separately from the others, who called themselves Dead and Company.

Def Leppard
Def Leppard fired Pete Willis in the '80s, then lost Steve Clark to alcoholism in the '90s. They were replaced by Phil Collen and Vivian Campbell, respectively, and Def Leppard kept rolling – even after drummer Rick Allen lost an arm.

The Allman Brothers Band
The Allman Brothers Band survived the deaths of Duane Allman and Berry Oakley, then the exit of Dickey Betts. They bowed out with a series of shows featuring modern-era contributors Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks. Gregg Allman eventually succumbed to cancer.

Deep Purple
Co-founding drummer Ian Paice is all who remains from the early days, through Deep Purple's Mark VIII lineup includes veterans Ian Gillan and Roger Glover. Ritchie Blackmore was ultimately replaced by Steve Morse, and Jon Lord by Don Airey.

The Cars
A long-awaited 2011 reunion by the Cars happened without bassist and singer Benjamin Orr, who had succumbed to cancer. The band never replaced Orr, who didn't live to see the Cars inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018.

Steely Dan
Once an actual working band, Steely Dan eventually winnowed down to Donald Fagen, Walter Becker and a series of ringers. That's how it remained too, until Becker's 2017 death. Fagen then began a fight to continue on alone with the band name.

KISS
Turns out it's far easier to replace members when your band appears onstage in full makeup. That's how Kiss transitioned from a reunion of all four original members to a rejiggered lineup that included only Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley.

Cheap Trick
Guitarist Rick Nielsen's son Daxx began working as Cheap Trick's touring drummer in 2010, after a curious split with Bun E. Carlos. The band said Carlos is still a member; he just doesn't perform with them anymore.

Yes
The 2015 death of Chris Squire left Yes with no originals, though Steve Howe and Alan White go all the way back to the early '70s. The band was rounded out by Jon Davison, Geoff Downes and Squire's hand-picked successor Billy Sherwood.

Judas Priest
Glenn Tipton was replaced by Andy Sneap before Judas Priest's 2018 tour, as the guitarist continued to battle Parkinson's disease. Richie Faulkner had earlier taken over for co-founder K.K. Downing.

Boston
Tom Scholz is the lone holdover from Boston's glory days. Fellow multi-instrumentalist Gary Pihl, who joined in the Third Stage era, is the longest-tenured member following the 2007 death of singer Brad Delp.

Doobie Brothers
The Doobies boast three distinct eras: the original lineup, the Michael McDonald-led lineup and the reunion lineup. Tom Johnston was part of the first, John McFee was part of the second and Patrick Simmons connected both to the new era.

The Monkees
The Monkees have toured as a threesome without Michael Nesmith, as a threesome without Davy Jones and, for the first time in 2018, as a duo starring Micky Dolenz and Nesmith. Jones' death in 2012 ended hopes for a reunion with all four.

Bad Company
Boz Burrell's death will keep Bad Company from every mounting a complete reunion. More recently, Paul Rodgers and Simon Kirke have toured with guests like Rich Robinson after fellow co-founding member Mick Ralphs began having health issues.

Bon Jovi
Alec John Such and then Richie Sambora both dropped out over the years, leaving David Bryan, Tico Torres and the band's namesake to carry on with Hugh McDonald (who finally became an official member in 2016) and Phil X.

Moody Blues
Drummer Graeme Edge is the only original member left, though Justin Hayward and John Lodge have been around almost as long. Denny Laine left in 1966, followed by Mike Pinder in 1978. Co-founders Clint Warwick and Ray Thomas have since died.

Rolling Stones
Hard to believe, but Bill Wyman has been retired for almost as long as he was in the band. That leaves three core early members in Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts, following the deaths of Brian Jones and Ian Stewart.

Chicago
Chicago were pared down to Robert Lamm and the horn section after first losing guitarist Terry Kath in the '70s, then later splitting with singer Peter Cetera and drummer Danny Seraphine. Original saxophonist Walt Parazaider began limiting his touring schedule in 2017.

Electric Light Orchestra
Even though they began with a band dynamic, ELO eventually morphed into a vehicle for Jeff Lynne – and the lineup came to reflect that. He's the only original left after key departures by Roy Wood in 1972, Kelly Groucutt in 1983 and Bev Bevan in 1986.

Queen
The 1991 death of Freddie Mercury seemed to spell the end of Queen. Next came the 1997 retirement of John Deacon. Queen carried on, however, with guest vocalists like George Michael, Paul Rodgers and, more recently, Adam Lambert.

Van Halen
Eddie Van Halen has said that the band's heavily anticipated David Lee Roth reunion would never have happened without the involvement of his son Wolfgang. He took Michael Anthony's spot, however, meaning a true reunion isn't happening.

Fleetwood Mac
It should have been shocking when Fleetwood Mac suddenly replaced Lindsey Buckingham with two other people on the eve of a new tour in early 2018. Except they did the exact same thing three decades earlier.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-bands-no-reunions/
Old 05-05-2018, 07:19 AM

Default Perhaps it's not so unlikely that the famous second choice to Neil was Steven

Steven Tyler Talks Turning 70, His New Documentary and Hanging Out With Paul McCartney

You celebrated your 70th in Maui. How was that?
Well, it’s Maui, and papayas, and hula girls and sunshine. It’s beautiful. My partner Aimee [Preston] threw a party for me beyond belief. I thought I was at Cirque du Soleil. There were girls that had wings walking around on stilts. I looked around and there was Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, and [talent manager] Shep Gordon, who was in that documentary called Supermensch. He’s a dear, dear friend of mine. It was all unbelievable.

https://parade.com/664739/m-b-robert...aul-mccartney/
Old 05-17-2018, 07:39 AM

Go your own way at a new Fleetwood Mac-themed pop-up bar

Fleetwood Mac (minus former lead guitarist Lindsey Buckingham) will stop by the United Center in October, but fans of the group's soaring vocal harmonies can pass the time at a new pop-up bar. The folks behind the recent The Shining-inspired Room 237 pop-up have put together another temporary concept, which is themed around Fleetwood singer Stevie Nicks's interest in witchcraft and the occult.

Rhiannon: The Fleetwood Mac Pop-Up is named after the group's 1975 ballad, which features Nicks singing about a Welsh goddess. The second floor of Ukrainian Village bar the Rookery has been recast as a witchy lounge, filled with crystals, prayer candles, skulls and tarot cards (which can be interpreted by the bar's resident reader, Ashley Klich).

The cocktail menu at Rhiannon is filled with references to the band's catalog, including a color-changing pisco concoction called Seven Wonders and a champagne cocktail named Crystal Visions that's mixed with edible glitter (also known as edible luster dust).

Opening tonight at the Rookery, the Rhiannon pop-up will welcome guests every Friday (9pm–2am), Saturday (9pm–3am) and Sunday (2–6pm) before it breaks the chain on Sunday, June 17.

Hum a few bars of "Gold Dust Woman" and take a look at some of the soft-rock cocktails the pop-up will be mixing up.

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news...-up-bar-051118
Old 05-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Go your own way at a new Fleetwood Mac-themed pop-up bar

Fleetwood Mac (minus former lead guitarist Lindsey Buckingham) will stop by the United Center in October, but fans of the group's soaring vocal harmonies can pass the time at a new pop-up bar. The folks behind the recent The Shining-inspired Room 237 pop-up have put together another temporary concept, which is themed around Fleetwood singer Stevie Nicks's interest in witchcraft and the occult.

Rhiannon: The Fleetwood Mac Pop-Up is named after the group's 1975 ballad, which features Nicks singing about a Welsh goddess. The second floor of Ukrainian Village bar the Rookery has been recast as a witchy lounge, filled with crystals, prayer candles, skulls and tarot cards (which can be interpreted by the bar's resident reader, Ashley Klich).

The cocktail menu at Rhiannon is filled with references to the band's catalog, including a color-changing pisco concoction called Seven Wonders and a champagne cocktail named Crystal Visions that's mixed with edible glitter (also known as edible luster dust).

Opening tonight at the Rookery, the Rhiannon pop-up will welcome guests every Friday (9pm–2am), Saturday (9pm–3am) and Sunday (2–6pm) before it breaks the chain on Sunday, June 17.

Hum a few bars of "Gold Dust Woman" and take a look at some of the soft-rock cocktails the pop-up will be mixing up.

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news...-up-bar-051118

If they were really clever they'd have had 3 white roses, a crystal tambourine, a white bird.... she's a white witch, not into black magic. Silly people.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
If they were really clever they'd have had 3 white roses, a crystal tambourine, a white bird.... she's a white witch, not into black magic. Silly people.
Not so sure anymore, given recent events. She may have turned to the dark side...

Old 05-20-2018, 03:37 PM

Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' Rises, Guns N' Roses' 'Greatest Hits' Returns

— Fleetwood Mac, Rumours – No. 84 — Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours rises 88-84 -- the title’s highest rank in nearly a year. The former No. 1 earned 8,000 units in the latest tracking week -- up 6 percent. The album last went higher on the chart dated June 3, 2017, placing at No. 56. Rumours is likely picking up steam because of the group being in the news following the April 9 announcement that Lindsey Buckingham would not be joining it on its upcoming tour.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...-greatest-hits

‘American Idol’ Finale: Three Finalists Will Perform Johnny Cash, Fleetwood Mac, Journey Hits

Poppe is dedicating “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac to her hometown of Clarksville, Iowa and is taking a risk with a repeat of her own original song, “Don’t Ever Let Your Children Grow Up.” Her winner’s circle song, “Going Going Gone,” will complete the set.

http://variety.com/2018/music/news/a...es-1202817286/
Old 05-24-2018, 11:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

Didn't know where to post this, but... got the FM newsletter regarding the upcoming privacy changes.

What picture did they use? A full band picture including Lindsey. Go figure.