User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yes. and it was always Stevie that couldn't deal with keeping her more obscure songs.

playing older / preBN era FM songs has nothing to do with Stevie because they don't affect her part of the FM setlist. and Stevie and Mick were insisting in the interviews that they cannot play more obscure songs because public will run for the bathrooms. yet now, they like to pretend those interviews (even from 2013 tour!) don't exist and the 2 of them were always the staunchest proponents of the obscure.

Stevie's last solo tour was the only one where she was finally bold with the setlist - good for he! maybe she continues on this Mac tour too and drops Rhiannon and Dreams in favor of her deeper FM cuts.
Stevie's little dig that they couldn't go into the pre-1975 catalog because of Lindsey in their most recent CBS interview was simply nauseating. If she so loved Station Man or Rattlesnake Shake, why didn't she figure out a way to sing them (imagine her singing RS...lordy) in lieu of one of her own songs.

And she absolutely should consider shelving Dreams (although she would likely point out that SHE wrote that song and it's the only #1 that their version of Fleetwood Mac ever had so they HAVE to play it!), and that ramshackle version of Rhiannon that she's been lumbering along to for the last 20 years, and replace both with something deeper.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know, all this talk about deep cuts in the next set doesn't feel realistic. These guys are going out on the road to fill arenas all winter, not to reach deep into their past (or contribute anything from their present). They have one job on this tour, and they all know it: fill arenas.

Even any songs they add from Crowded House will boil down to song recognition. They aren't going to sing a Crowded House b-side.

That stretch of time between Peter Green's classics and 1975-1977 classics will be mostly ignored. Hypnotized, Station Man, Tell Me All the Things You Do, Spare Me a Little, and so on.

But as long as we're dreaming, how about Emerald Eyes?

Thoughts?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
She did a fantastic job of pulling the obscure stuff out. I loved her last tour. It was fantastic.
And back in -- 1998, was it? -- she did After the Glitter Fades, Garbo, Sleeping Angel, Enchanted, Gold and Braid, Rose Garden, and Twisted.

For her, it was really -- twisted. It was shocking. Fans were in heaven.

Last year, Bella Donna and the Wild Heart were the big shockers. Good stuff.

For me, the set list of any tour isn't important. I'm more interested in whether the performances are passionate or just phoned in. The other day on Spotify, I was listening to Lindsey's live concert at Bass Hall, and even the standard Fleetwood stuff he did was so passionate -- it was as if he were singing those songs for the first time. That's what makes a concert worth attending.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
It never ceases to amaze me, at how down you are with this new lineup.
Really? Why would that surprise you? I’ve always been a fan of all the different eras of Fleetwood Mac, and Neil Finn and Mike Campbell are certainly beyond worthy additions. I probably wouldn’t be as down with it if they had gotten subpar talents (and I was very worried/skeptical about who they’d get for second new guy), but they didn’t this time, which actually surprised me. For all they do wrong, I cannot think of better choices to bring into Fleetwood Mac.

Lindsey and Stevie were never the main attraction for me, which isn’t to say that I didn’t love what they brought to the band or that the Rumours lineup wasn’t the best overall version of the band. But, the English contingent were the primary draw for me, and I think the other versions were also great.

I don’t know enough of what went on behind the scenes to know how it all went down to have an absolute, definite opinion about what happened, but I’ve been around or a part of enough bands to know that band politics is a reality for all bands. I’m open to there being a scenario where they just wanted different things and couldn’t resolve their differences.

I also have to say that a little Lindsey goes a long way for me these days. His sui generis production style seems to have been stunted after “Go Insane.” My big gripe with LBCM is how you couldn’t really hear their voices together. Ditch the effing Fairlight already! Be old and mature! Listen to later Peter, Paul, & Mary. They might not sound as good as when they were in their prime, but their voices still had the passion in what they were singing and still sounded great together. Top 40 waved bye-bye long ago, so quit trying to make Pet Sounds. And, I get lots of bands do it, but I never want to ask if it was live or if it was Memorex during a Fleetwood Mac-related show, or worse, know the answer.

His excessive use of psychobabble for banter is brutal for me as a social worker, but even moreso as a friend of someone who has the greatest banter in rock (he has two albums of just his banter). Just say thanks for coming to the show and rock. Nobody cares. He comes off less as enlightened as he does pompous and oblivious. At least Mick waits until the show is over!

And, it’s not like we wouldn’t have gotten near note-for-note versions of IAS, Tusk, SHN, Big Love, GYOW, and probably NGBA that we’ve been hearing for decades now. Maybe a slight variation here or there, but those variations have been sketchy for me, especially Tusk. Going softer isn’t rock! I’m okay with not hearing those in lieu of other songs and having a scenario where the band can’t be on autopilot.

If anything, I’m more surprised by your reaction. I remember when you felt that SYW was basically just Buckingham Nicks II, that it wasn’t Fleetwood Mac without Christine, and that “Mystery…” was the Mac at their pinnacle. I didn’t realize you were such a Lindsey fan. If nothing else, for sixteen years, but really more like 23 years, I wanted Christine back on stage. She’s back, now, and still has a great band up there with her. Good enough reason for me.

Quote:
You know this isn't 1987, right?
Yes. This time around, they got guys who’ve had legendary careers, not glorified sidemen.

Quote:
Do you realize the attention span of the average person, now? 98% of people couldn't give AF about Station Man, or ANY of the other songs you listed.
I don’t think it’s that static, and I don’t think it really matters. A good show has a flow to it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey does not yank his songs out, staples or deep cuts.

on OWTS they did replace 1 each song for the Australian leg - IKINW came out and BTLH in, Sara replaced SOTM, and TAM replaced OMH.

however Seven Wonders was completely dropped during US leg already.
That's interesting about Seven Wonders. I saw them do it in January of 2015. She said during the tour that millions of people heard the song on the Coven episode.

Continuing with song removal, didn't Christine stop playing Songbird for a number of concerts because of hand pain?
Old 06-10-2018, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yes. and it was always Stevie that couldn't deal with keeping her more obscure songs.

playing older / preBN era FM songs has nothing to do with Stevie because they don't affect her part of the FM setlist. and Stevie and Mick were insisting in the interviews that they cannot play more obscure songs because public will run for the bathrooms. yet now, they like to pretend those interviews (even from 2013 tour!) don't exist and the 2 of them were always the staunchest proponents of the obscure.

Stevie's last solo tour was the only one where she was finally bold with the setlist - good for he! maybe she continues on this Mac tour too and drops Rhiannon and Dreams in favor of her deeper FM cuts.

You know she's not dropping either one of these...LOL!!!
Old 06-10-2018, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=UnwindedDreams;1230553]That's interesting about Seven Wonders. I saw them do it in January of 2015. She said during the tour that millions of people heard the song on the Coven episode.

[B[/B] Yes she did. I would argue Songbird does cameos throughout this tour, less so for hand pain and more so because Christine can't hit the notes anymore. May be controversial but just my opinion.

Last edited by Storms123; 06-10-2018 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: error
Old 06-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
That's interesting about Seven Wonders. I saw them do it in January of 2015. She said during the tour that millions of people heard the song on the Coven episode.

Continuing with song removal, didn't Christine stop playing Songbird for a number of concerts because of hand pain?

Yes she did. And I would argue Songbird has cameos throughout this tour, not because of hand pain but more so that Christine can't hit the notes anymore
Old 06-10-2018, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Songbird was not removed / dropped though. she didn't play it at some of the show, and as soon as she could handle it, it was added back in. that's different than dropping and never playing through the rest of the tour because of the perceived reception of the audience. once Seven Wonders was dropped it was not brought back again, and was not played in AUS / NZ (as far as i remember the setlists).

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[/B]

You know she's not dropping either one of these...LOL!!!
Dreams wasn’t done on her 24 KG tour other then in Australia where it replaced New Orleans. But that was like 10 our of the 70 shows.

That being said I think they’ll definitely do Dreams on this tour, I just don’t think Dreams is as unthinkable to not be played as Rhiannon. I think Dreams will sound great with Mike Campbell, breakdown and Dreams have a similar guitar tone. Sara and Gypsy are 2 hits they i really hope don’t get played.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 06-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Dreams wasn’t done on her 24 KG tour other then in Australia where it replaced New Orleans. But that was like 10 our of the 70 shows.

That being said I think they’ll definitely do Dreams on this tour, I just don’t think Dreams is as unthinkable to not be played as Rhiannon. I think Dreams will sound great with Mike Campbell, breakdown and Dreams have a similar guitar tone. Sara and Gypsy are 2 hits they i really hope don’t get played.
Dreams is FM only #1---I don't think she can get away with not playing it on an "FM" tour. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Dreams is FM only #1---I don't think she can get away with not playing it on an "FM" tour. Just my opinion though.
I have to say that I like that she largely skipped it and LBCM skipped Don’t Stop last year.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-11-2018, 06:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Songbird was not removed / dropped though. she didn't play it at some of the show, and as soon as she could handle it, it was added back in. that's different than dropping and never playing through the rest of the tour because of the perceived reception of the audience. once Seven Wonders was dropped it was not brought back again, and was not played in AUS / NZ (as far as i remember the setlists).
I appreciate this insight. I did not know it was known that Stevie dropped Seven Wonders for the perceived audience reception. I always thought it was due to the key it was played in and the song's pace. I personally thought she sounded like she was exhausted when she sang it and had to push herself through it. To me, Sisters had no vocal standouts other than the 2013 and 10/6/14 versions at The Garden.

I would guess Songbird and Sisters of the Moon were not played at The Classic concerts because of either the time budgeted for their whole set or a desire to keep the set somewhat moving.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I appreciate this insight. I did not know it was known that Stevie dropped Seven Wonders for the perceived audience reception. I always thought it was due to the key it was played in and the song's pace. I personally thought she sounded like she was exhausted when she sang it and had to push herself through it. To me, Sisters had no vocal standouts other than the 2013 and 10/6/14 versions at The Garden.

I would guess Songbird and Sisters of the Moon were not played at The Classic concerts because of either the time budgeted for their whole set or a desire to keep the set somewhat moving.
you are right, i don't really know why it was dropped.

they always end their festival performances with Don't Stop / on a high note, rather than their usual slow song.

SOTM was not played at the Classics because they played their Australian 2015 setlist, which had Sara, Think About Me and Bleed To Love Her.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Songbird closing with Lindsey during OWTS was so touching that I would guess the song doesn't get performed this Winter Tour. I do believe the shows will close with Silver Springs. I remember when she wanted to sing it during the Crystal Visions Tour. that tour did not reflect the CV compilation.

I think Chris will have a go at more white album numbers.