Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Brokeback Mountain Review and Response

It was not easy, but I did it. I got in to see this movie.
It is only playing in one theatre in town, on three screens. The first show was 12:01 Friday morning/Thursday evening. Every show yesterday was sold out except for 11:45 p.m. Then they added a midnight show.

To be honest, I don't know how in depth, detailed, or eloquent I can be at this moment. I read the story upon which the film is based years ago. I avoided all the reviews because I didn't quite remember the details of some of it, especially the last section. It has been difficult to avoid the hubbub in the press, but I have noticed the words that are being trumpeted about. Astonishing. Epic. Heartbreaking. Revolutionary. Masterpiece.

All of the above and more.

I have quite simply never seen a film that moved me to this degree. There has never been a film about this particular subject. Not with this backdrop, depth, quality and meaning. Not that I have seen. As far as I am concerned, this is the first love story about two men that has even been made. I have seen all the indie gay movies since the 70's. They had their moments, but this is another animal entirely. This not a gay movie. It is so much bigger than that.

Nearly every aspect of this film is graceful, sharp, honest, and beautiful. Ang Lee paces it to unfold and grow as the relationship intensifies. It is never rushed. It moves very slowly in parts, and as the story propels and draws you in, it traps you as surely as the lead characters are trapped.

I could go on about the camera work, the writing, the careful direction, the authentic design, the devastating score. It was all top notch art. The only drawback was some of the makeup. A minor quibble. When I noticed that, I was so absorbed in the story I was on the verge of cracking in half in my chair.

This film captures the irresistable force of love in such a powerful, aching manner, that it made me feel I had never seen two people onscreen in love before. The characters, and their plight, will haunt me for years to come. At this point, I am exhausted and a bit out of it. Therefore I can no longer hear the theme music playing on a loop in my head. It is a good thing, because if I could still hear that music, it is likely I would be sobbing as I write.

This film is a landmark. It made my guts buzz, my heart yearn, and my entire identity rattle. I don't know that it will ever be far from my mind.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:51 PM
BombaySapphire3
This message has been deleted by BombaySapphire3.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah it's only playing at one theatre here too.I'm going to see it in a few hours my date bought tickets 3 days ago but I guess we'd better get there early anyway.

Old 12-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks for your review. i really want to go see this movie, i have only heard great things about it.

And that Jake is such a hottie.

-Lis
Old 12-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow - that makes me even more anxious to see it!!!!

I am going to see it next weekend and plan to carry a wad of tissue into it along with my popcorn.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

**I deleted my post as I realized almost nobody has seen this film yet and it's hard to give my review without giving up too much info**

Suffice to say, a beautiful film but it didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. I didn't find the relationship to be well developed.

Last edited by Rickypt; 12-10-2005 at 08:32 PM..
Old 12-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Wow - that makes me even more anxious to see it!!!!

I am going to see it next weekend and plan to carry a wad of tissue into it along with my popcorn.
It is honestly not as bad during as it is after. I ? Couldn't get out of my seat.
Then I sat in my truck for 10 minutes before I wanted to drive. I dreamed about it. I woke up thinking about it. No joke.
Now I have to finish getting ready to entertain about 50 people. And I will need to be the perfect host. Wish me luck.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
It is honestly not as bad during as it is after. I ? Couldn't get out of my seat.
Then I sat in my truck for 10 minutes before I wanted to drive. I dreamed about it. I woke up thinking about it. No joke.
Now I have to finish getting ready to entertain about 50 people. And I will need to be the perfect host. Wish me luck.
I'm really happy for Ang Lee, probably he won't win at the Oscars but he's proving more and more what an incredible director he is.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 12-11-2005, 04:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
I'm really happy for Ang Lee, probably he won't win at the Oscars but he's proving more and more what an incredible director he is.

Romy
I just saw it .I think it will be a strong contender for best picture at the oscars and definately a nod and possibly a win for Heath with Ang Lee being more of a long shot but he will get a nomination I'd wager.I think the film more than lived up to it's hype, I have teared up in films before but never can I remember being frozen in my seat and gripping the arm chairs so hard my hands went numb.I don't think judging by the reactions of others around me that I was the only one that had such a visceral reaction.I'll stop now because I don't want to give away anything for those that have not seen the film .I just have to say I have seen many.many films in my life and never have I had a reaction to one quite like this.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This film is a landmark. It made my guts buzz, my heart yearn, and my entire identity rattle. I don't know that it will ever be far from my mind.
That is the exact same response I had after watching "Glitter"...I just didn't get the hate!?!?

But seriously...sounds like an awesome movie...will have to see for myself soon!
Old 12-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Funny, I had everyone leave my house just now. After a nearly all night party.
I attempted to explain this film to a number of people. In the interest of not spoiling the plot, I attempted to explain the gravity of the film. I am not convinced I am capable of communicating it to anyone. After hearing one response from Rickypt saying the relationship was not well developed, I had to just shake my head. I have never seen a depiction of two people in love that had more depth, more authenticity, or more genuine emotion in my life.

I can scarcely even discuss this film without my eyes welling with tears. It has affected me like no other book, film, or piece of art I have ever encountered. It pains me to say that the melody of the theme song, and the final images of the film have recurred in my head and I simply cannot stop crying.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Funny, I had everyone leave my house just now. After a nearly all night party.
I attempted to explain this film to a number of people. In the interest of not spoiling the plot, I attempted to explain the gravity of the film. I am not convinced I am capable of communicating it to anyone. After hearing one response from Rickypt saying the relationship was not well developed, I had to just shake my head. I have never seen a depiction of two people in love that had more depth, more authenticity, or more genuine emotion in my life.

I can scarcely even discuss this film without my eyes welling with tears. It has affected me like no other book, film, or piece of art I have ever encountered. It pains me to say that the melody of the theme song, and the final images of the film have recurred in my head and I simply cannot stop crying.
Gosh, Sparky, you're breaking my heart just reading your responses to this movie. If anything, I'll have to see it just based on your reaction.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
After hearing one response from Rickypt saying the relationship was not well developed, I had to just shake my head.
There's two of us who feel this way, me and my friend who saw it with me. I'm sure we'll be in the very small minority. It's impossible to get into it without revealing details--maybe when more people see it, there can be a discussion. I just feel like we didn't witness enough of the development of the relationship to truly understand its depth.

That said, it's definitely a stunningly beautiful movie with fantastic acting (particularly Ledger and Michelle Williams--she was my favorite character). Maybe if it wasn't hyped as such a masterpiece, I would have had a different reaction.

But I'm very moved by your reaction, Sparky. I have had similar reactions to other movies and plays and I marvel at the power of art to halt us in our tracks sometimes.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rickypt
That said, it's definitely a stunningly beautiful movie with fantastic acting (particularly Ledger and Michelle Williams--she was my favorite character). Maybe if it wasn't hyped as such a masterpiece, I would have had a different reaction.
I forgot to add Michelle Williams as am almost certain contender for best supporting actress.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm gonna see it this coming weekend if everyhing goes well. It's onlt playing at one place here too.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

everything Ang Lee does is great