Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: New album?
Yes 138 93.24%
No 6 4.05%
Suck it and see 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really want a new Fleetwood Mac album more than I want a solo album from any of the 3 songwriters. I love those 3 voices together and I want more of it. More, more, MORE.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd take a new Fleetwood Mac album over a new solo album any day of the week, honestly. I think even at their worst, they're better together.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Extended Play was a return to Lindsey being super conservative & pop-oriented. Christine has mentioned in the press that the batch of songs she has recently recorded are very much in the vein of her classic 1970s sound. So signs are pointing to a new album being a familiar, approachable style.
Yes, it very much seems that way. I think the production choices on a new album will either make or break it though. Even if they have nice classic sounding songs written, if they're not arranged/produced right... it can be disastrous. See: Without You.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Yes, it very much seems that way. I think the production choices on a new album will either make or break it though. Even if they have nice classic sounding songs written, if they're not arranged/produced right... it can be disastrous. See: Without You.
We've had one album in 15 years. I would die to think they would end on a, SYW note. ewwwwwwwwww...

Anyway... yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
OK, here's a bit of an "out there" thought that I think a lot of you are not going to like. But since Christine McVie is rejoining restoring the classic Rumours line up, and Rumours STILL makes headlines years after it was released... maybe a new album could be Rumours Part II?

A full on sequel to that album, where the personal story of the band is updated to where it is now? Offer some kind of closure to some of the stuff that was happening on that album? A DIRECT response? It would be a hell of a difficult trick to pull off - but boy I'd respect them for at least taking up the challenge.

Please don't flame me for that... I'm just trying to think outside the box a little bit here...
I'm not sure the concept of Rumours II really makes very much sense. Rumours worked so wonderfully well in part because it came about organically. It was emotionally-charged singer-songwriters writing excellent confessional pieces, and the "Rumours" theme was tagged on after the fact. Going the other way, and having a theme before content, doesn't seem likely to work. Our writers are still writing confessional songs, but about each other? I mean, their relationships are really as millionaire-colleagues, before anything else, these days. They mostly see each other for business. Doesn't make for very compelling songwriting. Any attempt would just feel forced. And I think the media might frame Rumours II as commercial pandering and further milking of past glories. And I'd probably agree.

That said, it'd probably garner more mass interest than an album by any other name, at this stage.

To answer the original question, I would like a new album from the classic lineup, for sure. I loved Say You Will and hated the EP. So it could go either way for me. I'm not sure what impact Christine's presence will have on the production at all, but I'd like to find out. If it's bad, it's bad. And it'll be forgotten. It's not like the band really has anything left to prove. They'll keep their oldies-based live set and continue to command insane ticket prices, worst case scenario, and we'll have lost nothing. Might as well have a crack at it.

Last edited by Dex; 01-12-2014 at 01:31 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

Tusk II! Spend a million or two making it and experiment in the studio!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
I read some comments by Mick Jagger not long ago where he said the Stones probably aren't going to do any new studio albums. He said when a band does a new album they usually devote the majority of any gigs afterward to material from that. Now that's cool for a band that hasn't been around as long and doesn't quite have that same status... but with a band like the Stones - people at the gigs want to hear the old classics. Stuff that they know and can sing along to. Jagger I guess finds that a little dissapointing - but still wants to please the fans.
excuses excuses....

This is exactly what makes Fleetwood Mac so special - they are still making music after all this time. Ok they could have done more in the last 15 years -but they've had solo careers too, with new music, which has kept many fans happy. One of the reasons I am so into this band is that you are never sure what's going to happen next. With the Stones you know its going to be all the oldies, and as much as I love some of those, it doesn't keep me interested in them. I'm over the moon that FM will be making a new album, with Christine, no matter how it turns out.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I really want a new Fleetwood Mac album more than I want a solo album from any of the 3 songwriters. I love those 3 voices together and I want more of it. More, more, MORE.

This is my stance as well.

I want a combination if Rumours and Tusk, if that's possible.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post

It's not.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Recipe for a great Fleetwood Mac album.

1. Take 1 part Christine's sweet breathy upbeat and cheerful love songs
2. Take 1 part mystical, semi elusive lyrically yet witchy and bitchy lyrics from Stevie.
3. Take 1 Part Lindsey's wacky.

Mix well.

3. Tone down Lindsey's wacky with Christine's sensibilities so it is cutting edge but approachable
4. Tone down Stevie's elusive garbage lyrics with some Lindsey feedback and improve them till they SHINE.
5. Add some Mick and John
6. Ban The use of more than two sets of keyboard parts, two sets of guitar parts and a bass and drum part and NOTHING that plugs in unless it is a Hammond B3 organ or Electric Guitar.

Mix well.

7. Make sure that 2/3rds of the album have three part harmony.
8. Ban Waddy, and "the Girls" from the Studio.
9. Ban Sheryl Crow

Shake. and Bake at 375 for 3 months.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sure...it would be called Tumours

I'd like it to be a cross between Then Play On & Mystery To Me, but with Welch gone, THAT ain't gonna happen, either.

They should just record their new album (with Christine's involvement & input)..just "do what they do" and I'm sure it'll be just fine...and worthy of a final statement by Fleetwood Mac...then ride on into the sunset, with "Albatross" playing as a loop in the background.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Sure...it would be called Tumours

With John's recent bout with cancer....( ok distasteful)

What I meant is that I want some experimentation, but also that recognizable FM sound
Old 01-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
With John's recent bout with cancer....( ok distasteful)

What I meant is that I want some experimentation, but also that recognizable FM sound
What is there even left to experiment with at this point, though?

Idk, my hope would be that they wouldn't try to overthink all of the songs and would just let them be natural and organic and whatever they end up being. I feel like when they try purposefully to be left-field or they try to be FM-y or commercial it ends up sucking.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why not?
I don't expect a new Tusk, a new Rumours or Tango, but a fine work of those FIVE would be cool.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

YES! A new record please! A great FM record has been toooo long overdue!! With Chris on record as having sent Lindsey some new material, it really does sound like a new record is most likely in the works - which would be amazing news! Stevie probably has given Lindsey some songs/demos as well. However, my only hope is that all three songwriters are given EQUAL songs for the 1st time, instead of the 3 Stevie songs to Chris' 4 and Lindsey's 5 - SYW being the exception! But since Stevie holds much, MUCH more power in the band since the 80s, i'd be really surprised if she is given the short end of the stick.

A 12 song record w/ 4 songs from each (released this year) sounds about perfect to me with a "Tango" meets "Rumours" production value. And please toss out the disappointing production of "Extended Play" - I really expected more from Mitchell Froom, but Lindsey co-produced as well . Bring in Calliat or Dashut, I now appreciate what brilliance (sound engineering) each brought to the table, to the sound of the first 5 BN era FM records. Bottom line is they need an amazing & objective sound engineer & co-producer. Hell, bring in Dave Stewart & his team- "In Your Dreams" sounded pretty amazing!

Last edited by Christopher; 01-12-2014 at 05:07 PM..