Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-09-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I agree with you that Little Lies would have been a #1 song if it was the lead single off Tango. Driving home from the mall listening to the newly released Tango, it screamed BIG HIT. It also featured all 3 singers. It also was placed first song side 2 which back in those days was reserved for the lead single on albums. I debate this with Steve all the time on this board. Seven Wonders killed the Tango momentum but Little Lies brought some of it back.
I think Hold Me would have or should have been their second #1. Something very odd and very unique happened to all the Mirage singles. They all got stuck on the charts and stayed at their peak position for weeks. Hold Me got stranded at #4 for 7 weeks. Gypsy got stuck at #12 for 3 weeks. Love In Store got stuck at #22 for 3 weeks. Hold Me was in the top 10 for 10 weeks. No other Mac single stayed in the top 10 that long. Dreams sped up to #1 and then fell like a rock. I think the next week at #1 it fell to #7 and was only in the top 10 for a few weeks.
Hold Me also finished the year (1982) as a bigger hit than Dreams did in 1977. Just think how long 10 weeks is. Olivia Newton John had the biggest hit of the 1980s where Physical stayed #1 for 9 weeks. Hold Me was in the top 10 for nearly that long spending 7 of those weeks at #4.
Tusk is the oddest album where Chris always had the catchy pop tunes and the most conventional song off Tusk could not break above #20. Yet odd songs like Tusk and Sara made the top 10. What IF Think About Me was the lead single off Tusk? I think it would have been a smash.

I remember you couldn't get away from Hold Me. It was played on the hour for weeks.

I think Everywhere might have been a #1 too had it been first.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I remember you couldn't get away from Hold Me. It was played on the hour for weeks.

I think Everywhere might have been a #1 too had it been first.
Everywhere was huge in Europe. It hit #1 in Belgium and some other country. It also was top 5 in several other European countries.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Everywhere was huge in Europe. It hit #1 in Belgium and some other country. It also was top 5 in several other European countries.
I never thought about it, but Seven Wonders may have put a damper in the momentum of Tango.

Imagine

Little Lies
Everywhere
Seven Wonders
Big Love

In that order.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Another oddity is that Dreams only went to #11 on the Adult Contemporary chart. Today Dreams is a staple of very adult contemporary radio station and they play it daily.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never thought about it, but Seven Wonders may have put a damper in the momentum of Tango.

Imagine

Little Lies
Everywhere
Seven Wonders
Big Love

In that order.
"May have"?

It nearly killed the album. Tango fell like a rock on the album charts. I wish the record company had guts and released Isn't It Midnight as the lead single. The world was waiting 5 years for another Mac song. I think it would have been played to death especially with a cool video. They had all the bubble gum stuff in the wings. So go forth with the best song first.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
"May have"?

It nearly killed the album. Tango fell like a rock on the album charts. I wish the record company had guts and released Isn't It Midnight as the lead single. The world was waiting 5 years for another Mac song. I think it would have been played to death especially with a cool video. They had all the bubble gum stuff in the wings. So go forth with the best song first.
Isn't It Midnight
LIttle Lies
Everywhere
Big Love
Seven Wonders
Old 03-09-2023, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Isn't It Midnight
LIttle Lies
Everywhere
Big Love
Seven Wonders
Bingo!

Seven Wonders would have hit #74 on the charts
Old 03-09-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Bingo!

Way down by Emmiine!

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 03-09-2023 at 09:21 AM..
Old 03-09-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Bingo!

Imagine:

Family Man
Caroline
Welcome To The Room Sara
When I See You Again
Old 03-09-2023, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Imagine:

Family Man
Caroline
Welcome To The Room Sara
When I See You Again
For Scarlett
Old 03-09-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
For Scarlett
This is a dream, right?
Old 03-09-2023, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Imagine

Little Lies
Everywhere
Seven Wonders
Big Love

In that order.
Warners (and possibly the band) appears to have wanted to duplicate the release pattern of RUMOURS, with Lindsey then Stevie getting there first, followed up by two Christine singles. The resemblance stops there. Big Love—as good as it is—is no GYOW, and if LB released it on his own it would probably reached 25-30 on the charts. Seven Wonders sounds like Mac. But the second single? Little Lies and Everywhere made Tango explode in the US and UK respectively.

Like MacFan4Life I always thought “Isn’t it Midnight” was a natural hit and should have been promoted better. Had Lindsey stayed and the band done a video for it, it probably would have done much better.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
Yes John's drinking was pretty awful during Tango. I've also heard Chris drank far more in those days than what's been reported lol. Have heard cocaine was still present during Tango but not as much as in earlier years. So I believe Lindsey was the straightest one of the 5 at that time. He just loved his weed !

--Lis
We know Mick was still doing coke well into the 90s. Stevie was out of rehab for cocaine in 1986. Christine said in an interview with, I think The Guardian, in 2013 that she stopped doing cocaine in 1984 during the recording of her solo album. Lindsey and John, I haven’t found any info, but we do know that Lindsey had a trailer set up in his yard during the recording of Tango so the other band members could go indulge in their vices. I can’t imagine this was only for Mick, so I would assume John and Christine may have partook in the cocaine at some point during Tango. I get the impression that Christine was just doing it for fun or like for old time sake to make a little joke out of it. John was probably doing it more with Mick. John was also a big drinker so he was probably still drinking a lot back then. Christine was still drinking a lot well into her post 1998 retirement because she said in her BBC documentary that she was drinking and fell and injured her hip or back and got hooked on painkillers for a while. So I’m sure she was still drinking during Tango too. She also said in an interview at one point during her 2014 come back that everyone in the band had quit drinking and this is the first time she’ll be performing without a drink.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
Yes John's drinking was pretty awful during Tango. I've also heard Chris drank far more in those days than what's been reported lol. Have heard cocaine was still present during Tango but not as much as in earlier years. So I believe Lindsey was the straightest one of the 5 at that time. He just loved his weed !

--Lis
I read in an interview somewhere that Christine was done with cocaine by 1985. The drinking continued…
Old 03-10-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I read in an interview somewhere that Christine was done with cocaine by 1985. The drinking continued…
You could tell after Mirage her skin and face appeared so much healthier. By the time Tango rolled around she looked fantastic.